Thinking of returning phone and getting iphone-Android is bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

HnLA

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I am thinking of exchanging for iphone. While its a beautiful screen and I like swype and voice dictation, I have been disappointed with everything else.

I really do not like ICS,and there is little help out there for 4.0. I have not been able to transfer music on the phone without complicated apps that require complicated extras.

I get a lot of emails that "cannot be displayed". (They can be displayed on Maildroid, but Maildroid lacks a lot of other basic features)
I have found the android apps really bad compared to the ones on my ipad touch.There are so many game apps for android, but they are all lacking basic things.

I really do not want to have to hire someone to help me get my phone going. I have had it for 3 weeks and am not impressed by Android at all. Maybe its 4.0 but I like that the iphone is ready to go and easy to use.

Mom2Ninjas

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Android is not for everyone. If you are having this much trouble with the basics than you probably need the iPhone since it doesn't require much to operate it.

For me... I'd rather have my own phone then be an iPhone sheep.

Music is only hard to get on a Droid if its iTunes because Apple made it that way to force you to use their stuff.

ybcthanerd

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
When do u ever have to do that if ur using tha native android gmail app then all u have to do is hit show pitures then always show and every time u get an email from that sender all images in tha email will show, and as for ur music ur going to have problems yes because itunes isn't in mp3 format that's how apple keeps u tied in their ecosystem find u a free converter on tha internet and convert them to mp3 since everything else uses mp3 anyway then u can put them in either google cloud or amazon cloud then just stream tha songs to u phone

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Android Central Forums

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I guess I am a sheep because I do not want to have to hit "Display Images" for every frickin email.

If you're using the GMail app, you don't have to. The first time you get an email from someone, yes, but all you have to do is press "Always" on that email, and from then on, when you get email from that person it will always show pictures.

As for why you have to do that... Blame the people that write malicious code and embed it in HTML-based email with pictures.

No matter. I think you're better off with an iPhone. Android isn't for everyone. I won't call you a sheep. Everyone has their own preferences and flavor of Kool-aid they like. iPhone has only one way of doing things: Apple's way. That makes it simple for most people to understand.

Android is for everyone else.

Good luck.

bbtitanium

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Good luck, the issues you describe are minor and only take sometime to figure out how? Good luck with the iPhone. It has its own set of issues and quirks.

Sopharus

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I don't quite understand the impulse to respond to a question with insults here.

It sounds like you're frustrated with Android but it also sounds like some of the issues you're experiencing are common ones that we or other Android enthusiasts could probably help you with.

You mention having to hit "Display Images" repeatedly, which is a native behavior in GMail (not just the mobile app) that is there for security purposes. Once you have clicked "Display Images" you will have the option to "Always Display Images from this Sender", preventing you from having to do it repeatedly for trusted senders.

Despite the first few reactions here, asking questions about an OS that seems daunting and unfamiliar at first is not something that should be discouraged, but welcomed. That said, the remainder of your issues seem to be a bit less defined. Would you be able to clarify further?

3rdpig

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Apparently you're a prime candidate for Apple's walled garden. Not that there's anything wrong with that....

pteezay

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
I am thinking of exchanging for iphone. While its a beautiful screen and I like swype and voice dictation, I have been disappointed with everything else.

I really do not like ICS,and there is little help out there for 4.0. I have not been able to transfer music on the phone without complicated apps that require complicated extras.

I get a lot of emails that "cannot be displayed". (They can be displayed on Maildroid, but Maildroid lacks a lot of other basic features)
I have found the android apps really bad compared to the ones on my ipad touch.There are so many game apps for android, but they are all lacking basic things.

I really do not want to have to hire someone to help me get my phone going. I have had it for 3 weeks and am not impressed by Android at all. Maybe its 4.0 but I like that the iphone is ready to go and easy to use.

Kick rocks and beat it then. Join the fanboys and enjoy your vanilla experience.

Zhara

Queendroid
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Because if his real intent was to just leave then he would have just done that instead of coming here first and whining about it.

This, and actually nobody has been that rude about it, considering he's called Android "bad" and in his other topic (which is exactly the same) "terrible", all just because he can't figure it out. I bet if I went to the iPhone forum and posted that it was awful I'd get ripped to pieces within seconds...

To the op, go ahead and move to iPhone. Just because you don't like Android doesn't make it bad, but to each their own.

Reactions: jaescott

Uselessbass

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site

Yes just stick with apple if u can't even get that far in setting it up I was a apple Guy since 2008 I just recently switched to android but I'm also very tech savvy I agree anybody can use the iPhone its simple but that's why I got bored of it I love having my Widgets on android I love having live wall papers flash support in my browser there both great platforms but they kinda cater to the individuals needs needless to say I escaped apples walled garden and I'm not ever going back good luck.with your iPhone and there's nothing wrong with going back to it its whatever works for u if u have iPhone questions feel free to ask me I gotta lots of years under my belt with that platform and with jailbreaking

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't quite understand the impulse to respond to a question with insults here.

It sounds like you're frustrated with Android but it also sounds like some of the issues you're experiencing are common ones that we or other Android enthusiasts could probably help you with.

You mention having to hit "Display Images" repeatedly, which is a native behavior in GMail (not just the mobile app) that is there for security purposes. Once you have clicked "Display Images" you will have the option to "Always Display Images from this Sender", preventing you from having to do it repeatedly for trusted senders.

Despite the first few reactions here, asking questions about an OS that seems daunting and unfamiliar at first is not something that should be discouraged, but welcomed. That said, the remainder of your issues seem to be a bit less defined. Would you be able to clarify further?

One's level of self-esteem is always revealed in how he speaks to others.

Speedygi

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I would say the day you find the Iphone unable to meet your needs, especially those that can be filled by Android, is the day you know an Iphone isn't for you.. In my opinion that is the bottom line for knowing which platform is for you.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I must admit that I have to bite my tongue sometimes when replying to people that vent their frustration while complaining about some aspect of their phone on these boards. After reading dozens/hundreds of messages, it is easy for the veterans to get a bit jaded towards people that complain about things that seem rather simple to us. In dealing with the many people that troll message boards, it is easy to forget that not everyone is trolling when they ask a question or complain about something they're having problems with.

With that said, I will give a bit of advice to the original poster (OP) and anyone else that has genuine questions: It's all in the approach. If you're looking for help, simply ask for it. No one wants to hear a bunch of ranting. No one wants to hear your plans to leave the platform. Although people shouldn't take it personally, (some folks are way too attached to their phones)... telling folks that you hate their platform of choice sets up an adversarial environment. Thus, you get some hostility.

Instead, just say "I'm frustrated and need some help. How do I...?" You'd be amazed at how well that works. Most people on these boards genuinely want to help folks. It just gets old when people do the equivalent of: "Take this piece of garbage that you guys love so much and shove it!" You get back what you put out...sometimes in spades.

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I must admit that I have to bite my tongue sometimes when replying to people that vent their frustration while complaining about some aspect of their phone on these boards. After reading dozens/hundreds of messages, it is easy for the veterans to get a bit jaded towards people that complain about things that seem rather simple to us. In dealing wiith the many people that troll message boards, it is easy to forget that not everyone is trolling when they ask a question or complain about something they're having problems with.

With that said, I will give a bit of advice to the original poster (OP) and anyone else that has genuine questions: It's all in the approach. If you're looking for help, simply ask for it. No one wants to hear a bunch of ranting. No one wants to hear your plans to leave the platform. Although people shouldn't take it personally, (some folks are way too attached to their phones)... telling folks that you hate their platform of choice sets up an adversarial environment. Thus, you get some hostility.

Instead, just say "I'm frustrated and need some help. How do I...?" You'd be amazed at how well that works. Most people on these boards genuinely want to help folks. It just gets old when people do the equivalent of: "Take this piece of garbage that you guys love so much and shove it!" You get back what you put out...sometimes in spades.

What also works well is restraint. So someone says, "Android phone sucks!" In a forum. My response? I couldn't care less. I'm certainly not going to dignify such immaturity with a response. So you hate Android. So you hate me. So you hate cheese on grits. You have that right. Just don't get in my personal space with that. I might feel physically threatened.
Contrary to popular belief, nobody can "make" you mad unless they possess mind control over you. Rather, you CHOOSE your response to all stimulus around you. And your choice of response speaks volumes about you.
I guess I just don't get how posters get SO worked up about a little gadget that they will be dishonorably dismissing within 20 months. Sure, I'm fond of my device, but I'm not in love with it and I'm certainly not about to lose my self-respect over a comment made about it.
I think the posters who lash out viciously about a platform or device and those who reply in kind are rowing in the same sinking boat.
They both need to stand in front of a mirror and say, "Are you serious!?" And then take a much needed month away from message boards.
Food for thought.

Reactions: icewater106

MDteX

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I also have tap the "Display images" to get them to display. I have never seen the "Always Display Images from this Sender" prompt that has been mentioned. I use the stock email.

Is there a way to always make it display?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan