LTE active site(s) in San Antonio! With screen shots and video!

UTnick

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Driving to my parents I was on I-10 and 1604 and looked at my phone after hanging up with my father. Guess what I saw? 4G!

San Antonio now has at least one active LTE site and it is blazing fast. Probably because I was the only one on it, but very promising. I hate to admit that it doesn't transmit as far as one would hope. Also, the Evo doesn't always switch to 4G when I pass it. I usually have to turn off mobile and turn it back on for it to get on 4G LTE. Video below of my laptop tethered and running a couple speed tests.

250839_10151881088090241_2010099961_n.jpg

401957_10151881547430241_504615188_n.jpg

540666_10151881549440241_26310563_n.jpg

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpP_we7DFfk[/YT]

394650_10151884553490241_467733854_n.jpg

Tower site.

Took the screen shots above yesterday when I found the 4G LTE tower and went back today and actually found the physical tower. Parked across the highway (underneath the tower doesn't get a strong signal) and tethered my laptop to my HTC Evo 4G LTE with WiFi tether and also took the video with my HTC Evo 4G LTE.

Last edited:

UTnick

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: LTE active site(s) in San Antonio!

Called Sprint to ask about statuses of towers in the area. They confirmed there are some sites operational and even better that the ones by my house are currently being worked on. I am pumped.

One small problem was the phone would freeze when it would lose LTE connection while in a browser or sometimes when taking screen shots. That may be the ROM I am on or just a bug HTC needs to fix.

ananniia

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site

where in SA? I'm in the Sea World area. I noticed my phone running faster yesterday, in fact, very fast without wifi on. It was on CDMA though, but when I changed it to LTE, it was just as fast. It still says 3G on the top bar though. Is it supposed to say LTE or something else besides 3G, when its on LTE?

roflwaffleton

May 19, 2012
Visit site

where in SA? I'm in the Sea World area. I noticed my phone running faster yesterday, in fact, very fast without wifi on. It was on CDMA though, but when I changed it to LTE, it was just as fast. It still says 3G on the top bar though. Is it supposed to say LTE or something else besides 3G, when its on LTE?

It will say 4G instead of 3G.

UTnick

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site

Check the OP. I updated it.

jaescott

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: LTE active site(s) in San Antonio! With screen shots and vid

Well this is a good sign for us in Dallas. We should be up and running soon, but this is Sprint we're talking about...

UTnick

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site

Went for a little drive tonight and discovered some more 4G sites are going live. If you toggle airplane mode (not just mobile data) it will more reliably connect you to 4G if it is available. A little trick to see if there is even a tower close by allowing 4G connections is to watch for a pause after you toggle airplane mode off. That pause seems to be the phone/cell tower trying to negotiate which signal is better. 3G or 4G. If you toggle airplane and it goes straight to 3G then you don't have a 4G tower close by. Not the most scientific way, but it's how I have been searching and finding.

jaescott

May 21, 2011
Visit site

Went for a little drive tonight and discovered some more 4G sites are going live. If you toggle airplane mode (not just mobile data) it will more reliably connect you to 4G if it is available. A little trick to see if there is even a tower close by allowing 4G connections is to watch for a pause after you toggle airplane mode off. That pause seems to be the phone/cell tower trying to negotiate which signal is better. 3G or 4G. If you toggle airplane and it goes straight to 3G then you don't have a 4G tower close by. Not the most scientific way, but it's how I have been searching and finding.
I noticed the pause but still no 4g. Think I'll go for a ride around the city today on a 4g hunt. If I find anything you all will be the first to know. No one in my circle cares smh.

cib227

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

UTNick,

that's awesome!!, i live around that area, so what is the closest cross street, or where exactly is it, ill be looking for it...

thanks!!!

UTnick

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site

The Bill Miller's and McDonald's across from UTSA is where I was parked. Remember to toggle airplane mode if it doesn't just pop up.

UTnick

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site

Well, the site looks to be blocked again. I guess I am gonna have to wait till July 15th.

Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site

Was that video taken with the evo?!? Whenever you moved the camera, the way the frames moved it looked like everything was under water. It was really messing up my eyes/brain....

29mb speeds you were getting on your phone are great!
The 2.6mb on your computer isn't as impressive, lol. Though I suppose tethering may slow things down a bit?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781