Evo 4g LTE overheating and battery life

everlast316

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm having some issues and wondered if anyone else has experienced these...

Occasionally the phone will get very hot and overheat. I have a battery widget that will read a temperature close to 150 degrees farenheit. This usually happens when I have it plugged in and am using it, but i can't pinpoint one specific app or setting that would cause it. However, it does ALWAYS happen when I have it plugged into my car charger and i'm using gps. After about 5 minutes o get the flashing orange and green lights indicating that it's overheating. It also won't charge the battery at that point. I get a message saying I'm using more power than the charger is putting out.

I'm wondering if I have a defective phone or battery. Know the phone has an intense processor, but if I can't use it in my car as a gps for a long trip, that's a deal breaker for me.

Anyone experience something similar or have any thoughts? I got the phone at best buy and have a few days left in the 30 return window, so any input would be appreciated!

htc evo 4g

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I had a similar issue on my evo, now i LOVE it!. All you have to do is a factory reset and start over from scratch. Youll lose your downloaded apps and your settings but it made my battery last a little over 20 hours (coming from approx 12 hrs prior to factory resetting) and the only time my phone gets hot is when its plugged in and im playing games on it.

Good Luck!

everlast316

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Interesting that a reset would fix this issue for you. That makes me wonder what the root cause may actually be...
How long ago did you do your reset?

htc evo 4g

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
People say that there maybe incompatible apps that may cause the phone to overheat/whatever other issues or it may be something in the evo itself. Dunno. I did the factory reset 24 hrs ago. I've never experienced this much battery life nor less overheating.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

LegacyEvoAce

May 29, 2012
Visit site
Ive had the phone overheat once the first time I started playing music on it and put it into my pocket the started getting crazy hot I shutdown anything and everything then turned it off. Outside of that though I havent had any issues, the phone does get hot often though just not super hot as it did that one time.

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
How quickly does it overheat under that usage? Its possible that it could be a battery issue or an issue with the charger or something else. One thing you could do to rule out the charger is grab a multimeter and see what voltage it's outputting. Its hard to hit the contacts on micro USB but it is possible.

Edit: it should be putting out at least 3, probably 6ish volts. Anymore than 6 and it's still going to charge unless it gets to a point where the fail safe overheating warnings kick in, and probably charge faster, but the battery essentially starts acting a resistor in of itself and a bunch of energy goes into heat, which of course leads to overheating.

Last edited:

Mophomania

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I had this issue, but only when in the car dock, while using GPS and Pandora. Turns out, the car charger I had hooked up to the car dock wasn't providing enough power to the phone. I got progressively worse with time and eventually the phone led and dock led began flickering. A message popped up stating my power source was not compatible. The phone was extremely hot. The car charger i had been using was new, but cheap and just didn't provide enough power. Went to best buy and picked up one for about $20. But could provide about 2 amps. Haven't had any problems since. And my phone runs a lot cooler too. Just a thought tho.

everlast316

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
@kronos, I have a battery widget that tells voltage. I'll have to duplicate the effect and see what it says.

@mopho, I thought this too and got a Motorola car charger at supposedly provided 1 amp but maybe I need more (disclaimer, I know zilch about amps or voltage or stuff like that). Would you mind sharing a link to the one you bought?

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
HTC Evo4GLTE pdf clearly states not to use other chords or adapters at the end. I know a few people who bought those cheaper chords at the discount stores and several had issues using them and heating up phone.

from Evo4GLTE on Android Central

everlast316

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure they say that, because they want you buying their product. But it's not like I bought a cheap phone charger at the dollar store, it's a Motorola branded charger that was highly rated on Amazon.

DavidJ726

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Mine was getting kinda hot yesterdayas well, but I guess that's to be expected when sitting in the direct sun at the KC Royals ballpark, in 103 degree weather :D

dowhtiwnt

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
I had a similar issue on my evo, now i LOVE it!. All you have to do is a factory reset and start over from scratch. Youll lose your downloaded apps and your settings but it made my battery last a little over 20 hours (coming from approx 12 hrs prior to factory resetting) and the only time my phone gets hot is when its plugged in and im playing games on it.

Good Luck!

Has the factory reset worked for anyone else? I'm hesitant to lose everything, and then have the process not even improve battery life. I've read some reviews/comments where people are getting great battery life. Me? Not so much. I'm not even getting 12 hrs on battery. This is one of the reasons I am thinking of returning the phone.

Jackson Galaxy

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Has the factory reset worked for anyone else? I'm hesitant to lose everything, and then have the process not even improve battery life. I've read some reviews/comments where people are getting great battery life. Me? Not so much. I'm not even getting 12 hrs on battery. This is one of the reasons I am thinking of returning the phone.

If I were you I'd back up my data and apps then factory reset the phone. Then you can run a baseline test with the GPS on while charging. If you're still overheating, exchange the phone .

saucratiz81

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
I was having a overheat issues returned for another. The new one overheats when on lte/cdma while browsering. I thought that it may have been flash. However in the exact same spot turned on wifi, not heat. I have notice plugging into my car charges does heat this thing up radioactive. I think the heat comes from cycling to to find the lte network. Here in Atlanta the sites or active but sprint is blocking them

everlast316

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I was having a overheat issues returned for another. The new one overheats when on lte/cdma while browsering. I thought that it may have been flash. However in the exact same spot turned on wifi, not heat. I have notice plugging into my car charges does heat this thing up radioactive. I thinpk the heat comes from cycling to to find the lte network. Here in Atlanta the sites or active but sprint is blocking them

I have that setting turned to CDMA only, so I'm hoping that's not a factor in this...

damaster_g

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I have been having the same issue while driving. I usually have navigation and music app going then I will get the popup saying that my phone is using more power than the charger is. Charger is rated for 5 volts and 1 amp. What I have been doing lately was just turning off the screen and that conserved enough power to charge phone. From reading this I may try a HTC charger and see if it works.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech