Evo 4g LTE overheating and battery life

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I use my evo 3d cords all the time, no problem with them. The over heating is not normal. I run sirius app Monday threw Friday 8 hours straight every day and where I work has been on average around 90 degrees. The phone never goes above 43 degrees in this time.

Sent from my EVO 4g lte

jgibson146

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
My phone did the same overheating thing. Pandora isn't working, says it keeps buffering. You have to menu/quit the app. I also switched to CDMA only till Sprint figures out the LTE thing.

Anthonicia

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
There have been a lot of issues with people using their old og EVO charger. Their phone will just shut off and not turn back on. So, feel free to search here and xda. Believe they proved that most of the issues people were having was from using chargers not meant for the EVO LTE.

I have a og EVO charger and it is rated the same as the lte EVO's charger. It actually looks identical and it is easy to confuse them. Just a warning not to use it or stop if u are.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Reactions: Mercury81

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
There have been a lot of issues with people using their old og EVO charger. Their phone will just shut off and not turn back on. So, feel free to search here and xda. Believe they proved that most of the issues people were having was from using chargers not meant for the EVO LTE.

I have a og EVO charger and it is rated the same as the lte EVO's charger. It actually looks identical and it is easy to confuse them. Just a warning not to use it or stop if u are.

I can only go by my phone and my experience and thus far,, 11 days in and I have not had one issue when I use my evo 3d cords.

Sent from my EVO 4g lte

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
So is the solution to get a car charger that puts out 2 amps? It really would be nice to use navigation and be able to charge the phone simultaneously. I didn't have this problem with my Epic or Photon, but I have with every HTC WinMo phone I've had.

Mophomania

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Ever since I changed over to the griffin 2amp quick charge car charger and stock USB cord in my truck, I haven't had any issues. It does get hot, but I do live in Texas, and its pretty darn hot here. Going on over a week with over 100 degree temps. The car dock and phone have not done the blinking led over temp/ under power thing since I changed chargers. With the one amp capable charger I bought first, I would run Pandora, Google navigation, and after about forty five minutes the phone would be blazing hot and the led on both would blink at me. Eventually a notice would pop up stating the charger was not compatible. Now I run cooler with no issues. The car dock does sit in plain view of the sun ( line of sight to satellites) so it does get warm, but not blazing hot like it used to. On the plus side, it seems to charge quicker too.;)

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Ever since I changed over to the griffin 2amp quick charge car charger and stock USB cord in my truck, I haven't had any issues. It does get hot, but I do live in Texas, and its pretty darn hot here. Going on over a week with over 100 degree temps. The car dock and phone have not done the blinking led over temp/ under power thing since I changed chargers. With the one amp capable charger I bought first, I would run Pandora, Google navigation, and after about forty five minutes the phone would be blazing hot and the led on both would blink at me. Eventually a notice would pop up stating the charger was not compatible. Now I run cooler with no issues. The car dock does sit in plain view of the sun ( line of sight to satellites) so it does get warm, but not blazing hot like it used to. On the plus side, it seems to charge quicker too.;)

Where did you get that charger from? Like you I'm in a hot climate (South Florida) and my primary concern is to be able to charge and navigate simultaneously. It no longer overheats when you do that specifically with this charger?

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Where did you get that charger from? Like you I'm in a hot climate (South Florida) and my primary concern is to be able to charge and navigate simultaneously. It no longer overheats when you do that specifically with this charger?

Don't you people have air conditioning in your cars?

Sent from my EVO 4g lte

bigtank

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
should've used the GPS to find your way to the Ballpark in Arlington so you could've rooted for a good team....LOL

Last edited:

Mophomania

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Even with air conditioning on full blast, the sun still bakes and the black phone and car dock on the dash do get nice and toasty. I got the car charger (2amp) at Walmart. I looked in the iparts section. Figured they always have more variety than android. It was twenty bucks and change with tax. Well worth it. I spent that much going thru three cheepy 1amp chargers. One of which fried itself on an hour long trip.

Mophomania

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
should've used the GPS to find your way to the Ballpark in Arlington so you could've rooted for a good team....LOL

Trust me, I would have if I could afford the tickets. I root from my couch where at least its cool, and the beer is colder and closer to me. :D

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Even with air conditioning on full blast, the sun still bakes and the black phone and car dock on the dash do get nice and toasty. I got the car charger (2amp) at Walmart. I looked in the iparts section. Figured they always have more variety than android. It was twenty bucks and change with tax. Well worth it. I spent that much going thru three cheepy 1amp chargers. One of which fried itself on an hour long trip.

Cool thanks. I'm gonna see if my local WalMart has it. Do you have a picture of yours by chance?

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I haven't seen anything at Walmart that puts out 2 amps by Griffin that didn't already have an iAccessory cable attached to it. Which one did you get Mophomania?

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Well I figured out my own issue. I got a Motorola car charger from Amazon and I can now use my GPS without the battery draining. It maintains the charge it had when it started which is better than it draining like crazy. It even charged it up a couple percent. All without the phone overheating and doing the orange/green flashing like other chargers were doing.

My biggest gripe with the phone is solved! :D

EDIT: Link to car charger if anyone wants it: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU2101939

Last edited:

everlast316

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Just thought I'd respond since you bumped this thread that I started...I too got the motorola charger and while my phone still gets hot and i get the flashing lights, it doesn't shut down like it did when i used the previous charger cable. It lasted me a 2 hour trip from Philly to Baltimore and the lights started blinking about halfway and kept doing that until I reached my destination.

So while that's not ideal, as long as it works I'm ok with it.

As for overheating in other situations, it appears the update that came out a few weeks back took care of that. Occasionally it will get hot (i still can't really figure out why or what app causes it..it seems to be at random) but I don't get the blinking lights other than using the GPS, as mentioned above. The update also seems to have cured some of the battery issues, which I believe was tied to my phone dropping wifi and searching for signals and such.

So overall, I'm much happier with the phone and glad I stuck with it!

S. Banks

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site

Hello All,

It's amazing how much more I have learned from this forum than from Sprint employees. I have an Evo phone that overheated, powered off and on, or didn't power at all. Now, the phone is dead. The employee's at the Sprint store in Riverside, Ca. wanted to charge me for the problems. I have since been in touch with Sprint Directors and above in hopes of seeking resolution. I sent the link to this website to show them that this is not an isolated problem.

Thank you all so much:)

kiwicarlos741

May 16, 2012
Visit site
Why would I guys use a Motorola charger on a htc product. Each phone has different charging specs and will obviously have effects if what ur using is meant for something else.

ddouglass

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I had the same issue after my EVO 4G LTE after installing a system update a little over a month ago - drastically shortened battery life and overheating. I tried analyzing my power usage and removing any apps used. I dropped my screen time down to 15 seconds. Turned off WiFi, Bluetooth. Changed from CDMA/LTE to CDMA only. Nothing worked. My battery used to last almost two days when I first got the phone but now it was only lasting about 6 hours.

After searching the forums on various sites and trying several things, I accidentally managed to boot my phone in Safe Mode. After I figured out how to boot it normally, I realized that my battery life issue was fixed. The battery life on my phone is now back to what it was when I first got the phone. My phone was in Safe Mode for 2 days before I realized what had happened (I did notice that some of my widgets had disappeared but could not figure out why).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781