What do you use to text?

BigPuddin

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I've been using Google Voice to text for a while. I'm not sure there's much benefit to using the voice program on the phone vs. the stock messaging app. I like texting on my computer though. However, I've been thinking about using Go SMS or trying handcent. What do people like? What are the benefits of one or the other? It seems like they're almost all functionally equivalent.

I am getting a bit confused with using the stock messaging app for pictures and having people reply with MMS apps and then replying from my email vs. replying from my google voice web page and which interface has the proper history. I want to streamline things and I'm just unclear on what the best method is.

Trev.3000

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
Hey there, personally I prefer the stock SMS client that comes with ICS. I've heard good things about Go SMS though. You mentioned that you like texting from the computer, you should definitely check out Airdroid for that, I use it daily and it's fantastic.

rodohmes

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
+1 on Airdroid - it's awesome, and free.

Go Sms is nice, but now in Sense 4.0 I only use it to send split group messages - otherwise I like the look and feel of the stock app.

TheJediGoddess

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I've been using Google Voice to text for a while. I'm not sure there's much benefit to using the voice program on the phone vs. the stock messaging app. I like texting on my computer though. However, I've been thinking about using Go SMS or trying handcent. What do people like? What are the benefits of one or the other? It seems like they're almost all functionally equivalent.

I am getting a bit confused with using the stock messaging app for pictures and having people reply with MMS apps and then replying from my email vs. replying from my google voice web page and which interface has the proper history. I want to streamline things and I'm just unclear on what the best method is.

I absolutely LOVE Go SMS. It's awesome, free and tons and tons of features. I love it. I tried Handscent before but it was laggy compared to Go SMS. Give it a try, you'd like it!

Magman007

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Only thing I wish the stock messaging app did that it does not is wake the screen and provide me a preview of the text. let me see if it is worth unlocking the phone for and replying to, or if it is just an informative text.

rfs830

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I use stock txting app along with google voice. You can set up google voice to forward txts to your phone so that you will still get then on the stock app. This is also good as you do not have to have data to get your txts in google voice. As long as you have phone service you will be able to get txts.

Starfleet Captain

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I use GoSMS Pro. I really wish they would enhance the stock messaging app with at least most of the jazillion features offered by GoSMS. I used to use Handcent, but GoSMS pro is better and looks better.

The only caveat is that with GoSMS pro, the app can't access the photos from your people app (like it can on other devices) because they're locked. This can easily be fixed but it requires rooting.

I may give airdroid a look. I had never heard of it.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

WeGlobal

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Tried GoSMS and Handcent, and while they are both great, I prefer stock because of the ease of MMS compared to the other two.

Officially sent from my HTC EVO 4G LTE using Android Forums.

m3lover1

Trusted Member
May 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm using Go SMS, but for some reason it's quite laggy, same with Handcent. If I send a text, it takes a long time before the app is opened if i click on it. Weird

Cyrene

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I used to be a Handcent user, which was good, but then switched to Go SmsPro, which I like better. Seems to have more features, such as sending a voice recording as a text and handwritten texts, unless Handcent has caught up since then. To get around the contact pic issue, I just assigned pics from my gallery as contact icons for my favorite people. I have no issues whatsoever sending mms.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums