Nervous about sticking with Sprint?

dowhtiwnt

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm right at the end of the 14-day period before I get locked in to Sprint for another 2 years. I think the EVO LTE is great, but Sprint makes me very, very nervous. 3G data is so awful right now, AWFUL! 4G will get turned on any day now where I'm at, but what if I travel outside of that coverage area? I don't think I can bear it. I know the other carriers are more expensive, but their customers can use data on their phone. I went into AT&T to compare speeds the other day, and the HOX pointed its finger and laughed at my EVO.

Anyone else debate the same thing and decide to STICK with Sprint? What aided your decision?

digmys

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Been with them over 10 years. While you're worried about the extra few seconds it takes that youtube video to load, after a decade with Sprint, I've got enough extra cash to fly down the the bahamas for a week!

No but seriously, there was a time when Sprint was the fastest (EVDO vs Edge) and they were the first digital carrier (PCS) so the whole decade wasn't bad. But I will admit, the gap (in data speeds, not coverage, I'd argue their coverage beats ATT and T-Mobile) is the largest it's been in a while between Sprint and the competition. But they are working hard to fix that.

Your choice.

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
It's too late for me by 10 days and I'm locked in for two. I'm getting along not to bad though as long a I'm not reading others posting incredible speeds. It probably because I don't do a whole lot of down loading and although I love speed I know it'll will be here soon....I hope!
I did get the phone I wanted though!:p:D:thumbup:
from Evo4GLTE on Android Central

Last edited:

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm in Atlanta and sticking with Sprint and my EVO4GLTE. Almost everywhere I go there is wifi. 4G LTE will be nice whenever they turn it on, but I would only end up using it maybe 5 percent of the time. Literally everywhere I go, office, restaurant, mall, airport, bookstore, doctor, dentist, library, has WiFi. And of course I have wifi at home, 24Gb down, 6Gb up.

Manrico11

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I've had sprint for 13 years they have had their UPS and DOWNS. But it will be getting better soon. They are suppose to start rolling out the LTE in Atlanta today Monday June 25th, which for Sprint means Thursday our Friday of the week. Also with the rollout of their new LTE they are also doing a 3g underhaul yes underhaul which is suppose to get all Sprint users(not just the ones in the LTE areas) from 1.5mbs to 3 mbs on 3g. atleast that is what I've been told by a couple friends that work in different Sprint stores and in one of Sprint's corporate offices

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk
"praying for some LTE goodness"

kellyrx8

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Mine was, so what if I cant download something 15 seconds faster, at least i wont get raped on data charges.

its fast enough to stream music and check weather and email.....thats all I really need on the go.

For everything else 85% of the time im by an open wifi connection....

shanekovac

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
no matter who you go with there will be ups and downs....from phone quality to coverage quality to speed to price.

Jumping ship probably won't get you anything more.

The unlimited data is what keeps most people if they EVER change that for anything other than the hotspot, they will be bankrupt in under 18 months as people leave en masse.

If you have been with Sprint for sometime, don't leave. If you are new and just contract hopping hoping to find a home...then do what you must

DavidJ726

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
A lot of great responses.... And I know Sprint has been busting their tail end off to get LTE implemented. Great customer service, great phones, great pricing plans.... And WiFi when there isn't LTE or 3G just isn't fast enough.

Here's an interesting article I saw about them earlier today..

The Thing About Sprint - Seeking Alpha

David

rsk2mc

Banned
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Realize sprint used to be number one in coverage, they have lost that title but they swear with network vision sprint will be top dawg again. Towers are being worked on constantly and we all suffer from this with bad data. Hang in there by end of year ur doubts will be smashed

sent from my blobfish (if you don't know what a blobfish is, Google it)

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Tbh, my speeds lately have been up and down - so much I can tell where they are working on a tower...

But I'm still averaging 1.7-2.4 down...

Sent using my MoPho-King photon

dowhtiwnt

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Mine was, so what if I cant download something 15 seconds faster, at least i wont get raped on data charges.

its fast enough to stream music and check weather and email.....thats all I really need on the go.

For everything else 85% of the time im by an open wifi connection....

I guess I should've mentioned that I'm a longtime Sprint customer too. But when I say the 3G speeds are bad, I mean terrible...as in pages don't load and streaming services like Pandora and Slacker are rendered unusable during my commute. I've stuck around because of the unlimited data...I like not having to think about my data usage, and my actual usage shows I'm not abusing it. But I expected to see more of an improvement in service from my NS4G to the E4GLTE.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I have actually been worrying about the same thing. Just bought the galaxy s3 but I don't know. Where would I go though? I've only ever really liked tmobile. Hated Verizon and att can't hold a signal.

eugenehj

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I am staying with Sprint. I never really used the 4G WiMaxx on my EVO 4G and now that I have the EVO 4G LTE, I can just wait it out. They only issue I have is why am I being forced by Sprint to pay the $10 per month fee for LTE and I cannot get it in the DFW area.

blacksapphire08

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Realize sprint used to be number one in coverage, they have lost that title but they swear with network vision sprint will be top dawg again. Towers are being worked on constantly and we all suffer from this with bad data. Hang in there by end of year ur doubts will be smashed

They pretty much have no choice since the competition is whooping on them pretty bad and working hard to distance themselves even further. AT&T is huge in both customer base and cash flow and are constantly trying to improve. Verizon and T-Mobile are working together (spectrum sharing) leaving Sprint out in the cold.

I was a long time Sprint customer but got out because I saw the writing on the wall. They really need to succeed with their network vision plan if they want to stay in the game. I want them to succeed cause its always good to have more competition and I enjoyed their service up until the last year.

kg4icg

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm going on 16 years with Sprint. Before there was a Verizon Wireless or AT&T wireless. The only writing I see on the wall is AT&T and Verizon are out to get there hands in your pockets anyway they can by keep changing the rules. In the 16 years I've seen my cell phone bill go from $50 a month to $80 with more features added on. Unless something really drastic happens, I'm sticking to where I am at now.

Reactions: Lady_Evo

SandersJC1964

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I am staying with Sprint. I never really used the 4G WiMaxx on my EVO 4G and now that I have the EVO 4G LTE, I can just wait it out. They only issue I have is why am I being forced by Sprint to pay the $10 per month fee for LTE and I cannot get it in the DFW area.

That $10 is NOT for LTE or 4G. Any smartphone not grandfathered in will be charged the data fee.

ktown081

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Sprint is great in my neck of the woods. Been with them for 7 years and really don't have a reason to change. Gonna have lte here in texas soon and I'm looking forward to it.

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
It appears Sprint is either excellent or really bad. Fortunately, coverage is awesome when I'm at home and school. However, I switched apartment complexes at school a couple years ago and now that I essentially live in the woods, my coverage SUCKS. Yet, stepping outside gives me 5 bars whereas being inside, it fluctuates between none and 1. :confused:

As far data speeds, I could really care less tbh. I do virtually all my downloading at home on Wi-Fi. In fact, I can't ever remember downloading or streaming something outside my apt. And if I need a connection, I'm pretty much near one at all times so. Yeah. LTE should be pretty cool whenever Sprint cuts it on.

I like Sprint, though. :D

truthteller10

Banned
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm right at the end of the 14-day period before I get locked in to Sprint for another 2 years. I think the EVO LTE is great, but Sprint makes me very, very nervous. 3G data is so awful right now, AWFUL! 4G will get turned on any day now where I'm at, but what if I travel outside of that coverage area? I don't think I can bear it. I know the other carriers are more expensive, but their customers can use data on their phone. I went into AT&T to compare speeds the other day, and the HOX pointed its finger and laughed at my EVO.

Anyone else debate the same thing and decide to STICK with Sprint? What aided your decision?

I can understand your pain..Sprint really is bad and I can't seem to get over 30kbs on a good day. I have the gs3 with ATT and you couldn't even imagine how our phones have been rendered slow buy this horrible network. But the only thing is that I can see that it's extra stress just having to check your data usuage to make sure you don't reach the limit. I am in Houston and I have 20 more days to make a decision. Sprint better have their LTE network up here so that I can test it or im gone.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams