Do Your Downloads Continue With Screen Off?

flyhighx

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm connected to wifi and I'm downloading the 69Mb file for google maps offline viewing. I just came back to my phone a few hours later and noticed the download paused halfway through. It continued once I turned the screen back on but it got me thinking. I've seen this a lot with my phone where it seems that once the screen is off for a few minutes, some actions cease to get carried out.

I've also had this issue with copying files from one folder to another. When the screen is off, the phone fails to carry out the function it was doing.

I've also had issues with gmail not syncing with the screen off (works great with the screen on) so I'm wondering if it's all related. Is it just my phone or are they all like this and we need an update?

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm connected to wifi and I'm downloading the 69Mb file for google maps offline viewing. I just came back to my phone a few hours later and noticed the download paused halfway through. It continued once I turned the screen back on but it got me thinking. I've seen this a lot with my phone where it seems that once the screen is off for a few minutes, some actions cease to get carried out.

I've also had this issue with copying files from one folder to another. When the screen is off, the phone fails to carry out the function it was doing.

I've also had issues with gmail not syncing with the screen off (works great with the screen on) so I'm wondering if it's all related. Is it just my phone or are they all like this and we need an update?

I think this may be an ICS issue, as I had the problem with my NS4G as well. I find it particularly annoying when updating apps

Sent from my EVO LTE using Tapatalk 2

bryanw504

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Not sure it's a ics specific thing. I have a transformer prime and it does these task just fine. Not sure what your issue maybe. But Gmail syncs and things download with the screen off.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Of course he is not alone. This has been discussed before. It is a huge mess. I walk away from the phone while it is doing several Play updates and when I get back, they were either completely frozen when the screen was off, or the entire process aborts and Play is reloaded. And it does one of the two EVERY TIME. Neither is acceptable. Yet I have *NEVER* seen this behavior on my Evo 4G, Evo 3D, or Xoom.... not even once.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g-lte/178779-wifi-disconnects-sleep.html

dakidd

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Crxssi you are so right....every day I feel like reconnecting my evo 4g or the 3d...HTC needs to get the updates out like right now

anon(197032)

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Dont worry guys. The default setting is to pause wifi after 15 mins when the screen goes off. Just go into your wifi settings then hit the menu button, then select advanced option, from there you will see wifi sleep policy option. There are 3 choices ; never sleep when pluged in, sleep after 15 mins or never sleep. That all

AppleR112

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I just had a request to download 11 updates to apps in my phone. I started the download of all and walked away. When I returned the screen was off and the download had frozen after 5 downloads and installs.... And, yes, "Keep WiFi on during sleep" is set to "Always".

flyhighx

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Dont worry guys. The default setting is to pause wifi after 15 mins when the screen goes off. Just go into your wifi settings then hit the menu button, then select advanced option, from there you will see wifi sleep policy option. There are 3 choices ; never sleep when pluged in, sleep after 15 mins or never sleep. That all

Two problems with that:

1) that IS how we have it set up and it still gives us problems.
2) this happens over 3G as well. It's not limited to a wifi issue.

Thank you for the suggestion though.

keld

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Same problem here and I have always on in the settings.
This phone has so many bugs, one would think because it is version 4 of android it would be more stable.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site

Mine is and HAS been set to "NEVER SLEEP" that is what this thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g-lte/178779-wifi-disconnects-sleep.html is all about. I wish the solution were that simple.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
My wife also has an EVO4GLTE and loves it. She doesn't really think much about multitasking but is quite computer literate as far as the internet and the apps she uses. She loves the camera, online shopping and her weightwatcher's apps.She doesn't understand my consternation over multitasking. Of course she is representative of the vast majority of EVO4GLTE owners out there.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
My wife also has an EVO4GLTE and loves it. She doesn't really think much about multitasking but is quite computer literate as far as the internet and the apps she uses. She loves the camera, online shopping and her weightwatcher's apps.She doesn't understand my consternation over multitasking. Of course she is representative of the vast majority of EVO4GLTE owners out there.

Exactly. The only people who are not annoyed by these data disconnections and lack of proper memory management/multitasking just don't recognize or understand the problem or the way it is SUPPOSED to work. It is not because it isn't happening.

kinster02

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Same problem here and I have always on in the settings.
This phone has so many bugs, one would think because it is version 4 of android it would be more stable.

They're not bugs, its the way it was design by htc, I wouldn't expect any updates...so don't hold your breath.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Hmmm, are you married to my wife too? :confused:

bigrey81

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Weird i don't have that issue i have literally turned off the screen while updating/downloading apps and it continues the task

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Hasn't happened to me either.
I just updated four apps.

Only 4? With the screen off?

This is most likely going to manifest itself when you are updating many large packages (like big games); where the downloading takes a while and is still occurring with the screen off.

To those saying it doesn't happen to you- I am not disputing that, just wanting to make sure it is under similar conditions. You may have the same problems but just not have enough download duration for it to trigger. I seem to be less fortunate; I guess because maybe I have more apps and updates and let more time go by before starting the update procedure.

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I downloaded over night screen off and when I woke file was all finished, I downloaded ebook .

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

bigrey81

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Only 4? With the screen off?

This is most likely going to manifest itself when you are updating many large packages (like big games); where the downloading takes a while and is still occurring with the screen off.

To those saying it doesn't happen to you- I am not disputing that, just wanting to make sure it is under similar conditions. You may have the same problems but just not have enough download duration for it to trigger. I seem to be less fortunate; I guess because maybe I have more apps and updates and let more time go by before starting the update procedure.
No i have downloaded 2 sonic games and mass effect infiltrators and screen shut off no issues so i think its something that htc will fix in an update or something