VM Box - 30 Message Limit?!? Really?!?

jjr1400

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Just called sprint because my voice mail box was filling up at 30 messages. My HTC Evo had a limit of 50? Now I upgraded...... to 30 messages.....!?!

Sprint tells me this is a phone setting/limitation & not a network issue.

Can this be solved by rooting? I love the phone - but it is a PHONE.........isn't it? All the other features/benefits start to pale when I have voice mail "shut down" because I haven't cleared messages.....

Thoughts?

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Is that just the inbox limit? Is it possible to archive some to allow you access to more?

I don't get many messages but 30 sounds about the norm. I suppose if you're using it for business that can fill up fast, but I guess some people save personal messages for a long time.

You can always set up a Google Voice account and just use it for voicemail. That will give you a virtually unlimited number of voicemails plus you can access them from other devices and computers.

lvs3

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I currently have 33 messages in my VM and have never gotten any warnings or had any problems.

there's also the option of saving your VMs to the SD card

Reactions: renegadetx

SF Steven

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I think the point is that there's an arbitrarily low limit set on the number of VM messages allowed on the phone. Yes, we could listen to each message and delete them or save them to the SD card, but why is there a limit?

Think of it in another context: what if your phone log only kept the last 30 calls? Or your email box or SMS inbox only held 30 messages? Sounds ridiculous, right? Same logic applies to the limit on VM messages...there doesn't seem to be a technological reason for the limit, it's just, well, arbitrary.

u71n4444

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Why doesn't GoogleVoice work for some of us...Its virtually same as other any other
voicemail.... except...its on steroids... You cant go wrong using GV as Voicemail
on any sprint android phone.

When and if GV starts to charge..it is one service I'd be willing to pay for.

PraetorianGuard

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I think the point is that there's an arbitrarily low limit set on the number of VM messages allowed on the phone. Yes, we could listen to each message and delete them or save them to the SD card, but why is there a limit?

Think of it in another context: what if your phone log only kept the last 30 calls? Or your email box or SMS inbox only held 30 messages? Sounds ridiculous, right? Same logic applies to the limit on VM messages...there doesn't seem to be a technological reason for the limit, it's just, well, arbitrary.

Its your carrier that limits it. Not your phone. Your phone being the limits makes no damned sense.

CMercs

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I've been using Google Voice since my Palm Pre days (which ended all of what... 6 weeks ago...), and didn't have a VM limit that I ever hit. I know I could only keep them 14 days after I listened to them.

But I haven't had Sprint VM on my E4L, so I'm curious, are VM's stored on the phone/card now? I thought they were stored in the original cloud. You call a number and the VM's play off of some remote storage someplace in Sprint space. If that's true, then how could the phone limit anything related to voice mail once the phone call is made?

jdmcconnell

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I use Google voice for my business line and YouMail for my cell phone voice mail.
Google Voice works great but sometimes I'm delayed in getting the new voicemail notification.
YouMail is not always as quick with the notification but is quicker many times than Google Voice notification. YouMail is free and is loaded with features, much like Google Voice.