Otterbox Defender causing screen distortion?

Cherenkov

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Wondering if anyone else is experiencing this or has a solution. I love the case and the protection it offers, but whenever there is something brightly colored or white on the screen, the built-in screen protector refracts it into millions of tiny rainbow-colored pixels. Not the best way to describe it, I know, but I'm not sure how else to put it. It's very noticeable, though I can easily see through it. Just rather a pain when trying to view pictures or something. I hate to have such an amazing screen.

I tried taking pictures with my camera, but it's really rather hard to see so there was no sense in posting them.

Anyone else seeing this or have a solution? Is the case faulty? I know Otterbox has really good warranties on their products, but I don't see the point in bothering if they're all like this.

Kizzmocat

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
Try Windex on the protector shield, inside and out, sounds like you may have something oily on it, mine works great, no distortions!:)

Sent from my LTEVO using Android Central Forums

brandonx1000

rule the air.
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I have an otter box for my new iPad and nexus and the distortion is there. They use a special screen to avoid oil marks between the display and screen protector.

It sucks, but I've gotten used to it

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Vysse

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Wondering if anyone else is experiencing this or has a solution. I love the case and the protection it offers, but whenever there is something brightly colored or white on the screen, the built-in screen protector refracts it into millions of tiny rainbow-colored pixels. Not the best way to describe it, I know, but I'm not sure how else to put it. It's very noticeable, though I can easily see through it. Just rather a pain when trying to view pictures or something. I hate to have such an amazing screen.

I tried taking pictures with my camera, but it's really rather hard to see so there was no sense in posting them.

Anyone else seeing this or have a solution? Is the case faulty? I know Otterbox has really good warranties on their products, but I don't see the point in bothering if they're all like this.

I see it to or did at first...it either fixed itself or I got used to it

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

petrosil

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I see it also, thought it was me at first. Tried cleaning it and nothing I tried worked; thought about removing the screen protector sometime in the future...will try to live with it for the time being.

silverthornne

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
I just ripped the screen protector off. You'll have to clean the glue off if you do that before you put the cover back on the phone. It really bothered me that such a great case had such a bad built-in screen protector.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

TonyLibations

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I just ripped the screen protector off. You'll have to clean the glue off if you do that before you put the cover back on the phone. It really bothered me that such a great case had such a bad built-in screen protector.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

I'm thinking about doing the same and maybe buying a Zagg screen protector.

dwb3838

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I had the otterbox defender case on my evo 3d and I didn't like the built in screen protector because it made the screen look grainy so I bought the commuter case for my evo 4g lte it has a great screen protector with it . Also the hard shell is on the outside an soft shell on the inside so doesn't collect lint so much from your pocket .

Cherenkov

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Glad to know it's not just me. On a slightly related issue, the Otterbox was making it hard to pull down the notifications menu. I'd have to press my finger just right to get to it. I started using Apex launcher today (haven't checked if Nova can do this as well). Apex lets you assign conditional actions to the home button. So I press home once to go to my home screen, and if I'm already there, pressing home can be set to pull down the notifications screen. Much better than trying to fiddle with it to pull it down manually.

Perhaps this belongs in the tips and tricks section, but for me this is a big help.

Reactions: TonyLibations

dwb3838

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
When I had the defender in my pocket and pulled it out it use to have lint or whatever was in my pocket stuck to it and also stuff would get under the screen protector and I would have to take it apart and clean it . And the plastic rubbed the paint off the front of my 3d . So commuter case on my 4g lte .

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
When I had the defender in my pocket and pulled it out it use to have lint or whatever was in my pocket stuck to it and also stuff would get under the screen protector and I would have to take it apart and clean it . And the plastic rubbed the paint off the front of my 3d . So commuter case on my 4g lte .

No matter what I do there is always one piece of dust under the case in an annoying spot.

I rinse it under water. Use Windex. Clean it off. Hit it with duster gas. Put it on real quick and its always still there. Ahhhhhhhh. Lol.

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
No matter what I do there is always one piece of dust under the case in an annoying spot.

I rinse it under water. Use Windex. Clean it off. Hit it with duster gas. Put it on real quick and its always still there. Ahhhhhhhh. Lol.

Do you live in a dusty climate? I have had my case on for over a month and not one speck of dust.

from Evo4G LTE on Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech