Can't change default "notification sound"

jhill1977

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I am unable to change the "notification sound" from the sound menu. No matter what notification sound I choose, the phone always plays "HINT"...which sounds like a loud water droplet. This is a major annoyance as the default notification is what Android uses for POP e-mail notification, and the "HINT" sound is rather short and soft, meaning I don't usually hear the sound notification when new email comes in.

I have tried several factory resets, and even after the latest HTC update, this problem persists. Is anyone else having this issue? If not, I'm thinking I may swap the phone out at my local Best Buy while I'm still within my return/exchange period.

Thanks...

Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Sorry if some of these solutions seem obvious, I'm just trying to cover basis.

Are you doing this through the personalize menu, or on an app-by-app basis? If through personalize, do you press apply afterwards?

If so, try doing it through the app itself. Almost every app has a notifications setting in its settings that allow you to set custom notification sounds. Maybe whichever app you're using has it's own notification settings and by changing the "default" you're not actually affecting it at all.

jhill1977

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
The Android POP/Exchange email client uses the "notification sound" in the "sound" menu. As far as I know, there is no other way to change the notification for individual email POP/Exchange email accounts.

This setting worked as expected in my original EVO 4G..but as stated before, despite choosing different notifications sounds AND pressing apply..my phone ALWAYS plays "HINT"

HELP...

msoprano13

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The Android POP/Exchange email client uses the "notification sound" in the "sound" menu. As far as I know, there is no other way to change the notification for individual email POP/Exchange email accounts.

This setting worked as expected in my original EVO 4G..but as stated before, despite choosing different notifications sounds AND pressing apply..my phone ALWAYS plays "HINT"

HELP...

I am having the same problem as you. the text message app has it's own notification selection but the e-mail does not. I thought it was just me but I can't get my e-mail notification correct either.

jhill1977

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Sorry if some of these solutions seem obvious, I'm just trying to cover basis.

Are you doing this through the personalize menu, or on an app-by-app basis? If through personalize, do you press apply afterwards?

If so, try doing it through the app itself. Almost every app has a notifications setting in its settings that allow you to set custom notification sounds. Maybe whichever app you're using has it's own notification settings and by changing the "default" you're not actually affecting it at all.

Do you have a POP/Exchange email account setup on your EVO LTE? If so, try and change the default notification sound to something of your choosing. Now send yourself a test message to that POP/Exchange account..and see what notification sound you get.

For me, no matter what notification option I choose, my EVO plays back HINT as the notification sound.

:mad:

jhill1977

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I am having the same problem as you. the text message app has it's own notification selection but the e-mail does not. I thought it was just me but I can't get my e-mail notification correct either.

In some way I'm glad I'm not the only one. I stopped by a Sprint store today and confirmed the same "bug" on their demo phone as well. I have submitted this to bug to HTC support. Hopefully it's taken care of with the next OTA update.

541rrhse

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site

HELP...
There's several different menus in Settings to this, "Personalize" and "Sound".

Settings, Personalize, Sound, Notifications sounds

I use that route as I have different sounds for every type of notification.

Reactions: ginglish

jhill1977

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
There's several different menus in Settings to this, "Personalize" and "Sound".

Settings, Personalize, Sound, Notifications sounds

I use that route as I have different sounds for every type of notification.

A THOUSAND THANK YOUS!!!

I'm not sure if that functionality was present in my OG EVO, but I now have assigned a custom sound to my business email accounts.

Thanks again...

Justin

dfdg3

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Another issue is that I want to silence the email notification sounds but keep the ringer on. I've had email chimes going off all night, but I have to keep my ringer on for phone calls. There doesn't seem to be a way to do this. Am I missing something?

midmofan

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Another issue is that I want to silence the email notification sounds but keep the ringer on. I've had email chimes going off all night, but I have to keep my ringer on for phone calls. There doesn't seem to be a way to do this. Am I missing something?

This is actually an ICS issue the two are linked and the user can't do anything about it. Even the third party apps that sometimes make it look like you are setting them seperatly dont really do that. Now HTC has made a lot of other changes to ICS, so they should be able to fix this especially since, apparently, other phone updates (Razor MAXX) have fixed it. So people need to complain to HTC since this something the SHOULD be able to fix.

Just as importantly, post your complaint to Google and be sure to star the issue at:

http://code.google.com/p/android/is...s Owner Summary Stars&groupby=&sort=&id=23117

Last edited:

priceless31602

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Solution!

After a few hours of searching online and even calling tech support, who had no readily available answer other than "well, it may not be possible to change." But I knew there was NO WAY the 4g lte was revamped and they left the ability to change email notifications out. While on the phone with tech support, I continued to play with my phone and stumbled upon how to change ALL notification settings available on the 4g lte. It goes like this:

From "home" screen hit the button above the "home" button...basically, go to all of your apps and click settings.
Click personalize.
Look at the bottom of the screen. You will see 2 tabs. One says Display, the other Sounds.
Click Sounds.
There are ALL of the options you could possibly want to change as far as notifications go on this phone!

....and you too, now, can be a happy 4g lte owner! :D

bibiana3232

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
go to your email (gmail for example) open app, go go to menu, settings, scroll down to labels to notify, inbox, ringtone....then change to whatever setting you like. good luck

I am unable to change the "notification sound" from the sound menu. No matter what notification sound I choose, the phone always plays "HINT"...which sounds like a loud water droplet. This is a major annoyance as the default notification is what Android uses for POP e-mail notification, and the "HINT" sound is rather short and soft, meaning I don't usually hear the sound notification when new email comes in.

I have tried several factory resets, and even after the latest HTC update, this problem persists. Is anyone else having this issue? If not, I'm thinking I may swap the phone out at my local Best Buy while I'm still within my return/exchange period.

Thanks...

ncstech2670

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I just purchased the HTC One X and was having the same issue. You have to go to personalize, tap the sound button at the bottom of the screen, then hit notification sounds, select the desired application you wish to select a sound for, in this instance it is email, and then and then select the sound you want and hit the apply button at the bottom of the screen. I was ready to return the phone for this reason until I figured it out.

sema4dogz

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm another with 'default notification " issues. I simply don't want any email notification sound ( and I'm assuming that's what default means as the others are labelled' messages', 'alarm' etc and I don't see anything labelled 'email' in the sounds ..? )
I can and have personalised all the others successfully but there is no way to NOT have a sound it seems, and , like another poster I don't want to hear email notifications all night , but I do want to leave my phone on.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm another with 'default notification " issues. I simply don't want any email notification sound ( and I'm assuming that's what default means as the others are labelled' messages', 'alarm' etc and I don't see anything labelled 'email' in the sounds ..? )
I can and have personalised all the others successfully but there is no way to NOT have a sound it seems, and , like another poster I don't want to hear email notifications all night , but I do want to leave my phone on.

My phone has a ringtone called "silent" and I can set that for accounts in the Gmail app. What email app are you using?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kaeros85