3G speeds went from 200kbps to 1mbps

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
In the past couple of days, Sprint service in my area (MO) has been spotty and dropping in and out. It came back Thursday. After noticing snappier speeds, I ran a speed test. It was consistently just over 1mpbs! Anybody else experience this? It's very noticeable. I was told that a tower in our area was being upgraded by a Sprint engineer. He also said that it's not complete yet, and will be on the 15th.

cbt007

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I work in Renton, WA, and a couple weeks ago I was lucky to match dial up speeds, but now I get 500k+ on what is still a fairly week signal (according to how many bars I have)

Judynnnn

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Dude my 3g speeds here are horrible. I live in south Texas and its horrible.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
From may-june when I had my old Epic 4G, I was getting between 100-900kbps. Now, with my Evo, I'm pulling down 1.5-1.9mbps. Don't know if it's the radios in the phone or the network itself, but it's pretty nice!

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
In the past couple of days, Sprint service in my area (MO) has been spotty and dropping in and out. It came back Thursday. After noticing snappier speeds, I ran a speed test. It was consistently just over 1mpbs! Anybody else experience this? It's very noticeable. I was told that a tower in our area was being upgraded by a Sprint engineer. He also said that it's not complete yet, and will be on the 15th.

Some of the towers here have been doing similar stuff. My home towers are still typically 50-400Kbs, varying GREATLY depending on time of day, but never very good. However, near my friend (20 miles away) speeds suddenly started to soar to 1.4+ Mbs where they used to be much worse. I checked the tower map stuff and sure enough, it said there was a recent speed upgrade.

So this seems to indicate that the site is pretty accurate about these 3G upgrades! I just wish they would hurry up with the towers closer to me. There is hope- my closest tower says "voice upgrade, data capacity upgrade, AND data speed upgrade" in the next 6 months. I would love to have LTE, but if I could get 1.4+ Mbs consistently around here, I would be extraordinarily happy for quite a long time.

deadon21628

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Sprint flips the switch on LTE in Kansas City, your Galaxy S III just got a whole lot better -- Engadget
Engadget reported this morning that Sprint flipped the LTE switch in KC, and you should get better speeds in outlaying areas. I'm very surprised that AC hasn't reported this, even though it's not specific to Android, it's still newsworthy. In these forums people are also reporting that LTE is running here in San Antonio too but I've yet to see it for myself. :-\

But I guess it does nothing for Evo LTE phones, since it is pretty clear that it is only for the Galaxy S III according to the title. Even though the Evo LTE was first, and probably still sold many more on Sprint. At least the body says something.

Cowchip

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Same thing happened here. Did a speed test on the 11th because my EVO seemed snappier than usual and clocked over 2Mbps which is waaaay higher than it had been. I believe there was a tower update listed in my area so it must have been completed.

DWR_31

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Two days ago for 7 hours my Evo 3D had 3 to 4mbps download speeds on 3G. Wimax was only giving me 2 to 3mbps.

Now I can't even get 300kbps down on 3G.
Houston, TX

deadon21628

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
But I guess it does nothing for Evo LTE phones, since it is pretty clear that it is only for the Galaxy S III according to the title. Even though the Evo LTE was first, and probably still sold many more on Sprint. At least the body says something.

Yeah, in the article is says the Evo is included in the LTE rollout, they probably just chose to only mention the Galaxy S III in the title cause it's the hot new thing right now.

charlesspivak1

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I had quite the opposite situation. My 3G speeds were never quite great in the South Bay area of California (south San Jose), maybe getting about 100-200k, and about 3-4 months ago, they went down to about 30-40k. Progress...even if it's backwards.

kiwicarlos741

May 16, 2012
Visit site
I get 1500 at my house consistantly bit that's because there's a tower literally up the hill from where I live on the open space, the only spot I get horrible coverage is at the gym where it can be as bad as 20 kbs. It sucks

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Impulses

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
5Mbps upload speed, lol, that's my upload speed at home w/DSL (clinging to a cheap DSL plan because the higher ones are more than I need and cable has a ridiculous 40GB cap). I can't wait 'till LTE lights up around here, but it's really the capacity upgrades that'll make the most difference... Nothing like having full signal bars and crawling along at 0.1Mbps, overloaded towers seems to be Sprint's biggest issue around the metro area where I live in Puerto Rico. Lunch time at my local mall has made 3G worthless, used to be pretty decent but the repeaters are just oversaturated now... Luckily there's WiFi but still.

t0mb3rt

May 30, 2012
Visit site
My 3g speed...

210436615.png

Sent from my Evo 4G LTE using Tapatalk.

wmurch3

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Same experience here! I called Sprint to complain because we weren't getting any service. They said a tower was down and it'd be down for a few days. Now is back up and I'm getting 1.5 - 2 meg download speeds. Better than ive ever got with Sprint. Awesome!

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Central Forums

CMercs

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I'm in Atlanta and after seeing this thread, I downloaded and ran SppedTest.net and go t 18746 up and 8945 down with a 44ms ping. Ok...Yeah, Wifi was on, let's try that again...

229 down, 415 up and 143 ping. Much more normal.... :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy