The Good and Bad of a Dual Band Router

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I guess you have to take the good with the bad in setting the WIFI router to G only. It has stopped my spotty WIFI connection, but at the same time it is defeating the purpose of having a dual band router. My old router was G only and whenever I would use the microwave, it would disrupt the router rendering it useless until the microwave was finished. When I got my dual band router and had it set to both G and N it would prevent that from happening, but at the same time it caused spotty WIFI on my EVO LTE. I now have it set to G only and have not had the constant dropping off, but now the microwave problem is back. I guess I can live with it since the microwave isn't always on, but it is still an annoyance.

Anyone else experiencing similar issues?
Edit/Delete Message

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
To add to that, when I use my home cordless phone and I am close to my EVO LTE, it also bumps off my WIFI as well. This is when I have it set to G only. So, when set to G only Microwave and Cordless phone knock off my WIFI. If it is set to G and N it never gets knocked off completely but it is very very spotty.

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Reminds me of this XKCD comic. :)

On a serious note, it may take HTC another round or two of bugfixes to account for all of the different wifi radio and router combinations to get everyone to play nicely in the sandbox together.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Reminds me of this XKCD comic. :)

On a serious note, it may take HTC another round or two of bugfixes to account for all of the different wifi radio and router combinations to get everyone to play nicely in the sandbox together.

Yeah, and the hard part about that is (I suspect) Half the problem is in Google code, and the other half is in Atheros binary blob. So HTC is held captive here.

FTR: to the OP: I've never had my microwave interfere with my HOX. Even standing right beside it.

You may have a leak in the Microwave. And your wife probably is sick of it anyway.
4 Ways to Check a Microwave for Leaks - wikiHow

BUNK

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I guess you have to take the good with the bad in setting the WIFI router to G only. It has stopped my spotty WIFI connection, but at the same time it is defeating the purpose of having a dual band router. My old router was G only and whenever I would use the microwave, it would disrupt the router rendering it useless until the microwave was finished. When I got my dual band router and had it set to both G and N it would prevent that from happening, but at the same time it caused spotty WIFI on my EVO LTE. I now have it set to G only and have not had the constant dropping off, but now the microwave problem is back. I guess I can live with it since the microwave isn't always on, but it is still an annoyance.

Anyone else experiencing similar issues?
Edit/Delete Message

Wow....what kind of router are you using. I have an Amped Wireless router and it plays nice with the EVO LTE and the microwave in dual band mode. I highly recommend them! I wouldn't put up with that but I wouldn't blame the phone either.

dlocks

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I have a D-Link Dir-655 that I have to set at G only.In my case the phone actually reboots and creates an abnormal reset error message which I send off to HTC.

imtravis

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
I have a net gear n900 dual band and have my phone using N at 5Ghz with no problems.. With either mine or my wife's HTC E4GLTE

zhecht

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I have a WRT400N, which is one of the few Linksys all-Atheros designs. No problems with N, G, 2.4Ghz, or 5Ghz. Maybe the fact that the Atheros made both WiFi radios helps.

Last edited:

l00natic71

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I was using an older Linksys G router. My Evo would often drop WIFI and reconnect after a few seconds. It tends to kill my streaming. I used to have a Nexus S 4G that didn't drop the connection. I now have a 2Wire router that I have to use with my new connection. Evo LTE has done it again So, in my situation, I would point the issue at HTC.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I was using an older Linksys G router. My Evo would often drop WIFI and reconnect after a few seconds. It tends to kill my streaming. I used to have a Nexus S 4G that didn't drop the connection. I now have a 2Wire router that I have to use with my new connection. Evo LTE has done it again So, in my situation, I would point the issue at HTC.

If you have a WRT54G, I highly recommend flashing Tomato Toastman on it. It is just packed with features and rock solid. I couldn't be more pleased with it.

Tomato (firmware) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Toastman