Uncheck Fast boot

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Interestingly enough I was talking to a friend of mine earlier who owns the HTC One X for AT&T. I was explaining to him a problem I started having with my phone going completely crazy earlier today and he started to laugh. He had the exact same problem and it was because he had never turned off Fast Boot since getting his phone. Leaving it on always prevents the phone from ever really going to sleep or resetting issues or cleaning out things on the phone taking up memory. Once he unchecked fastboot this issue never happened to him again. I have since unchecked fastboot as well, I shut the phone off for 5 minutes then powered up and then did a reset and so far no issues at all, and in fact the phone feels a bit faster. Just a heads up to anyone like myself that didn't know this. I always just felt that the fastboot option was great because it literally restarted the phone, well, fast. Even unchecked this phone boots up pretty fast.

Reactions: TonyLibations

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Interestingly enough I was talking to a friend of mine earlier who owns the HTC One X for AT&T. I was explaining to him a problem I started having with my phone going completely crazy earlier today and he started to laugh. He had the exact same problem and it was because he had never turned off Fast Boot since getting his phone. Leaving it on always prevents the phone from ever really going to sleep or resetting issues or cleaning out things on the phone taking up memory. Once he unchecked fastboot this issue never happened to him again. I have since unchecked fastboot as well, I shut the phone off for 5 minutes then powered up and then did a reset and so far no issues at all, and in fact the phone feels a bit faster. Just a heads up to anyone like myself that didn't know this. I always just felt that the fastboot option was great because it literally restarted the phone, well, fast. Even unchecked this phone boots up pretty fast.

I have posted many times to turn off fast boot and then reboot when troubleshooting. Turning off fast boot alone, without rebooting, does absolutely nothing. But when it is on, rebooting is not a "true/complete/fresh" reboot. Think of it as a shortcut to make booting faster... but by doing so, it is skipping initialization steps.

The phone being "faster" after a reboot is only a function of no apps being loaded, recovering all RAM, that kind of stuff. It is partially real and partially perception. In no case will it last. If there are no bugs, then it shouldn't be faster, anyway. Shutting off for 5 seconds vs. 5 minutes vs. 5 hours should make absolutely no difference.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't fast boot just apply to "shutdown"? It was always my understanding that restart is always a full restart.

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Well either way, doing it didn't fix the problem of my phone going crazy and having something wrong with it. Got a new phone and I have no problems now. Fast boot for me isn't that much faster than unchecking it so I'm just going to leave it unchecked.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't fast boot just apply to "shutdown"? It was always my understanding that restart is always a full restart.

Not that I've ever seen. Restart has pretty much just acted as a quicker way to shut off and turn back on your device. With fastboot enabled, restart always just hibernates and wakes up quickly.

Since HTC's devs are a bunch of dolts sometimes and have ruined various aspects of Android, having a full, legitimate reboot is recommended for when you will probably need it.

Brandito

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
If you want a full shut down hold the power button until the phone starts counting down. That should do a full shut down no matter what fast boot is set to. It's supposed to simulate a battery pull if I understand correctly.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

digmys

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Holding down the power button and then clicking "Restart" does a full reboot. Fast boot ONLY applies to "Shutdown" and basically just makes "Shutdown" really "Hibernate".

But a reboot is always a full reboot, no matter if fast boot is checked or not.

Reactions: bc2k

jmogha

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
And this is just from experience, but I've always found that power cycling always helps more than just restarting. My guess is that it helps to actually have the electricity stop flowing for a little while, but who knows. So having fast boot off would help in that regard.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
And this is just from experience, but I've always found that power cycling always helps more than just restarting. My guess is that it helps to actually have the electricity stop flowing for a little while, but who knows. So having fast boot off would help in that regard.

Well just to stop the electricity flowing why not just pop the back off and remove the batt.... Oh yeah, that's right we can't do that. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance