Worthwhile upgrade from Evo 3D?

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I was checking my usage today, and was surprised to see that I had a full upgrade available on my phone, despite having used it to purchase the Evo 3D last year. So my question is, is this phone worth getting if I have an Evo 3D? My biggest problems with the 3D is the bad camera, and the battery life. I can usually only get three hours of display usage on my phone, is this any better?

My biggest concern is that I don't want to throw away my upgrade if there is something significantly better coming out within the next year, since then I can't upgrade for another two years. On another note, has anyone bought a phone from amazon wireless before? Is it easy to use your upgrade there? They have this phone for only $80.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I was checking my usage today, and was surprised to see that I had a full upgrade available on my phone, despite having used it to purchase the Evo 3D last year. So my question is, is this phone worth getting if I have an Evo 3D? My biggest problems with the 3D is the bad camera, and the battery life. I can usually only get three hours of display usage on my phone, is this any better?

The Evo 3D is a nice phone. But the Evo LTE's screen, camera, and battery life just blow it away. So if those are your biggest concerns, you will have a huge win with the LTE. The LTE also feels light as a feather in comparison. It is a very worth-while upgrade.

For me, the ONLY thing that is worse about the Evo LTE is the now famous multitasking issue. Different people place a different level of annoyance with this issue, it is pretty high for me; but I would still buy this phone again. It also has no quick-swap battery, but so far I have not found that to be a problem at all (plus I even have an Anker external battery, but have never needed to use it).

My biggest concern is that I don't want to throw away my upgrade if there is something significantly better coming out within the next year, since then I can't upgrade for another two years.

I don't have a crystal ball, but it is very likely that the two top phones on Sprint will remain the Evo LTE and the Galaxy S III through at least the remainder of this year.

Reactions: Nreeldeep

08silveradoonrims

May 26, 2012
Visit site
The Evo 3D is a nice phone. But the Evo LTE's screen, camera, and battery life just blow it away. So if those are your biggest concerns, you will have a huge win with the LTE. The LTE also feels light as a feather in comparison. It is a very worth-while upgrade.

For me, the ONLY thing that is worse about the Evo LTE is the now famous multitasking issue. Different people place a different level of annoyance with this issue, it is pretty high for me; but I would still buy this phone again. It also has no quick-swap battery, but so far I have not found that to be a problem at all (plus I even have an Anker external battery, but have never needed to use it).

I don't have a crystal ball, but it is very likely that the two top phones on Sprint will remain the Evo LTE and the Galaxy S III through at least the remainder of this year.

^^^This right here.....

baykcd

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Get the new EVO. Seriously, it is light years better than all the others have been. This phone is amazing. You will not regret it. Consider getting the white one, too, people are always complimenting mine!

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G LTE using Android Central Forums..

wernd

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I agree, screen is the nicest difference, build quality, then battery for me. Not just by a bit either, this phone is soooooooo much nicer. I will agree with the multitasking though. I've had a few times when the phone slows for a second or two, I NEVER had that problem with the 3D.

Either way the screen alone makes it worth it

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
I'd say go ahead and get the Evo, crxssi has the pro's and con's of it pegged up there. As far as the something better later this year, no matter when you buy a phone that's always going to be an issue just because of yearly product refreshes, but that being said, the best way to combat that is to buy a device near the beginning of it's cycle, making this a great time to get the new Evo.
I'd say that a November announcement and a release before Christmas for the next Nexus phone is highly likely, it's unclear whether or not that will mean a new version of Android as well, but even if it does I can't imagine that the Evo LTE wouldn't be able to run it.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I upgraded from evo 3d and this blows it away. Camera is outstanding and battery life is great. Check out the picture

Sent from my EVO 4g lte

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
9 hours, half on 3g,half on wifi, good amount of use. I keep my email accounts on Manuel. If I want to see my email I go check. I don't need my phone pushing them to me all day.

Sent from my EVO 4g lte

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I agree, screen is the nicest difference, build quality, then battery for me. Not just by a bit either, this phone is soooooooo much nicer. I will agree with the multitasking though. I've had a few times when the phone slows for a second or two, I NEVER had that problem with the 3D.

Either way the screen alone makes it worth it

Evo lte is on an entirely new level. Honestly, I don't think 3D brought anything innovative to the game. I counseled people looking to purchase the 3D, to pick up the OG Evo instead.
To the OP, have you played with the Evo lte in the store yet? If not, do so. You might come away with a much better sense of the differences. The worst thing you can do is rely on the advice of others without at least investigating for yourself.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, I don't think 3D brought anything innovative to the game. I counseled people looking to purchase the 3D, to pick up the OG Evo instead.

Totally disagree. I have owned and extensively used every Evo. The Evo LTE is as far advanced from the Evo 3D as the Evo 3D was from the Evo 4G.

The 3D was three times faster than the 4G, had a better and higher resolution screen, newer version of OS & Sense, faster graphics, TWICE the amount of RAM, larger battery, dedicated camera button, tri-band instead of dual-band CDMA, is slightly thinner, and tons more available storage space. Plus it had a 3D capable screen and camera... which really worked. Doesn't mean you HAVE to use the 3D stuff, but it was still a significant feature.

About the only thing that moved backwards was having a weaker speaker and no kickstand.

Last edited:
Reactions: zmann

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Totally disagree. I have owned and extensively used every Evo. The Evo LTE is as far advanced from the Evo 3D as the Evo 3D was from the Evo 4G.

The 3D was three times faster than the 4G, had a better and higher resolution screen, newer version of OS & Sense, faster graphics, TWICE the amount of RAM, larger battery, dedicated camera button, tri-band instead of dual-band CDMA, is slightly thinner, and tons more available storage space. Plus it had a 3D capable screen and camera... which really worked. Doesn't mean you HAVE to use the 3D stuff, but it was still a significant feature.

About the only thing that moved backwards was having a weaker speaker and no kickstand.

You totally disagreed yet you failed to list any innovations the 3D brought to the table. Adding is not innovating. The Only innovative attempt was the 3D, which you mentioned. It proved to be a flop and universally panned by critics. Gimmicky to the extreme to the extent that HTC scrapped it.
And despite the wealth of advertising, 3D did lousy in the market and was far from the favorite of critics. I don't think it got more than 3 out 5 stars from anyone.
It became known as the OG EVO's chunky little brother.

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
How many hours of display usage do you guys typically get? I'm a little nervous about moving to a built in battery, I have an extra one for the 3D. And is the speaker really worse on this phone? I thought the speaker and vibrate were really weak on the 3D, especially coming from a touch pro 2.

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
How many hours of display usage do you guys typically get? I'm a little nervous about moving to a built in battery, I have an extra one for the 3D. And is the speaker really worse on this phone? I thought the speaker and vibrate were really weak on the 3D, especially coming from a touch pro 2.

Do you find yourself exchanging batteries daily? If so, then a fixed battery would not be a solution for you unless you don't mind carrying around a battery pack. Of course it wouldn't fit in your pocket as well as a spare battery.
As far as speaker, I don't think any smartphone has had a worse speaker than the 3D.
You have to test in a store.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
You totally disagreed yet you failed to list any innovations the 3D brought to the table. Adding is not innovating. The Only innovative attempt was the 3D, which you mentioned. It proved to be a flop and universally panned by critics. Gimmicky to the extreme to the extent that HTC scrapped it.
And despite the wealth of advertising, 3D did lousy in the market and was far from the favorite of critics. I don't think it got more than 3 out 5 stars from anyone.
It became known as the OG EVO's chunky little brother.

And by your definition, there is absolutely nothing at all innovative about the Evo LTE compared to the Evo 3D. They added a much faster processor (sound familiar?) and a better battery (sound familiar?) and a better and higher resolution display (sound familiar?) and a newer version of the OS (sound familiar?). It doesn't even have the benefit of more storage or more memory. Was annoying removal of the "menu" key innovative? How about breaking multitasking?

Oh, and adding 3D display and camera was not innovative because some people didn't like it.... but having a non-removable battery that some people don't like IS innovative?

So, please explain how the Evo LTE is "innovative" compared to the 3D, and yet the Evo 3D was not "innovative" compared to the Evo 4G....

baykcd

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site

This speaker is not bad at all. It's a lil better than my EVO 4G. It is plenty loud enough to fill like 2 rooms if propped up on the kickstand..

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G LTE using Android Central Forums..

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site

I agree with everything,, I could not have said it better. I was mad that I had to trade in my 3d to take advantage of the early upgrade program. I wanted to give it to a family member seeing as though it was in perfect condition and I just bought a brand new extended battery for it a month ago.

Sent from my EVO 4g lte

propertyevox3

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site

My biggest concern is that I don't want to throw away my upgrade if there is something significantly better coming out within the next year, since then I can't upgrade for another two years. On another note, has anyone bought a phone from amazon wireless before? Is it easy to use your upgrade there? They have this phone for only $80.

Your gonna feel that way every year , because something bigger and better always comes out , I would say go get it, and it's light years pass the 3d,

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
And by your definition, there is absolutely nothing at all innovative about the Evo LTE compared to the Evo 3D. They added a much faster processor (sound familiar?) and a better battery (sound familiar?) and a better and higher resolution display (sound familiar?) and a newer version of the OS (sound familiar?). It doesn't even have the benefit of more storage or more memory. Was annoying removal of the "menu" key innovative? How about breaking multitasking?

Oh, and adding 3D display and camera was not innovative because some people didn't like it.... but having a non-removable battery that some people don't like IS innovative?

So, please explain how the Evo LTE is "innovative" compared to the 3D, and yet the Evo 3D was not "innovative" compared to the Evo 4G....

great post.

3d is a great feature, just wished the phone that had it worked better overall.

I would have loved to have 3d on my galaxy s 3

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S WII on T-Mobile! goodbye Sprint!