Still no after market backings?

sropedia

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Ok so I know there have been threads on this when the lte was first released but it didn't seem like anyone had a solution other than homebrewed methods like sanding to get rid of that shiny plastic backing. So my question is has anyone heard of or seen an aftermarket back cover, preferably the same kind of plastic that's on the bottom if the phone? Also, I would be more comfortable trying DIY methods of fixing it if I could order a replacement stock backing, so if anyone knows where to order one of those too that would be great. Thanks in advance for any help

Edit: also I don't care about losing whatever NFC chip or whatever is housed in the original cover

Sent from my EVO LTE (3g only model!) using Android Central Forums

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
I haven't seen any yet, I still think it would be possible for them to be made (with the NFC antennas and everything) but that doesn't guarantee it will happen. Personally I'd like to see replacement back covers (identical to the current one) available at which point I'll happily try out the sanding method.

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Out of stock of most everything. Seems funny that they want $19 for a piece of plastic (cover) and yet charge only $16 for the rear camera! I wonder how they are getting these parts... maybe buying up broken phones?

Looks like that is the same glossy plastic as the original. I think op is concerned with a matt finished aftermarket rear piece.
Due to the evo lte not burning up the cash register, I don't think we're gonna see much aftermarket action. Just as HTC couldn't care less about enthusiast whining about multitasking, you can believe they're not worried about this minority whining about back covers.
HTC realizes that the masses probably don't even know what multitasking is and if the masses purchased the device, they certainly the noticed the shiny, greasy black plastic rear piece and decided they could live with it.

Reactions: crzycrkr

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Looks like that is the same glossy plastic as the original. I think op is concerned with a matt finished aftermarket rear piece.

I think "sropedia" was trying to say that one could get another back cover, so it should be safe to experiment with sanding because one could still restore the phone back to factory looks.

I love the case design of the Evo LTE, but I have to admit that I would much prefer to have the large top plastic back the same look and feel as the small bottom one.

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I think "sropedia" was trying to say that one could get another back cover, so it should be safe to experiment with sanding because one could still restore the phone back to factory looks.

I love the case design of the Evo LTE, but I have to admit that I would much prefer to have the large top plastic back the same look and feel as the small bottom one.

Oh I see. That makes sense. Wouldn't you have loved to have been in the meeting wherein the HTC design team agreed on that plastic piece? I swear I'd pay for a copy of the transcript to see what in the world they were saying about it. They obviously loved it. BUT WHY? I just don't get it. You match the aluminum casing's hue and you have the most gorgeous piece of tech you ever held in your hand. But due to shiny plastic gate, Evo lte is relegated behind iPhone4 in terms of best design.
My only other design issue with HTC, though minor, is the hard plastic piece at the rear bottom that houses the speaker cut out. Why is that plastic? And why is it a separate piece? It added another needless seam to the back. From the kickstand (Do we really "kick" it?) all the way down to the silver machining should be unibody. That plastic painted piece is gonna wear from sitting in your palm and change color eventually.
Is it too late to digress?

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Oh I see. That makes sense. Wouldn't you have loved to have been in the meeting wherein the HTC design team agreed on that plastic piece? I swear I'd pay for a copy of the transcript to see what in the world they were saying about it. They obviously loved it. BUT WHY? I just don't get it. You match the aluminum casing's hue and you have the most gorgeous piece of tech you ever held in your hand. But due to shiny plastic gate, Evo lte is relegated behind iPhone4 in terms of best design.

Piano black, or "glossy black" is all the rage for electronics. I hate it. It is on everything now- my TV, my monitor, my Anker external battery, keyboards, mice, etc, etc. It shows every bit of dust, every fingerprint, every smudge. It is distracting, negative to the touch, always dirty, easy to scratch, and hard to clean. I have no idea why companies think this is what consumers want- everyone I know hates it just as much as me. So at least we can't point the finger at just HTC.

My only other design issue with HTC, though minor, is the hard plastic piece at the rear bottom that houses the speaker cut out. Why is that plastic? And why is it a separate piece? It added another needless seam to the back.

It has to be another piece because that is how the phone is disassembled to replace the battery or any type of repair. There are two screws under the small lower plastic cover. I suppose it could have been made of metal, though. They couldn't do that with the top cover, because of the antennas, but I see no reason why the bottom had to be plastic.

Reactions: sropedia

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Piano black, or "glossy black" is all the rage for electronics. I hate it. It is on everything now- my TV, my monitor, my Anker external battery, keyboards, mice, etc, etc. It shows every bit of dust, every fingerprint, every smudge. It is distracting, negative to the touch, always dirty, easy to scratch, and hard to clean. I have no idea why companies think this is what consumers want- everyone I know hates it just as much as me. So at least we can't point the finger at just HTC.

It has to be another piece because that is how the phone is disassembled to replace the battery or any type of repair. There are two screws under the small lower plastic cover. I suppose it could have been made of metal, though. They couldn't do that with the top cover, because of the antennas, but I see no reason why the bottom had to be plastic.

Wow you summed up that black shiny plastic brilliantly! You sure you don't work for the company that makes those?
And thanks for the info on the bottom piece.
S3 utilizes the same material for its glossy back. Its saving grace is the S3's back is glossy white, which does a great job of hiding the greasy smears. You have to have the S3 at the right angle to see the smears. The Evo's smudges are amplified from all angles due to the black color.
It feels like there is a coating on the plastic. A slimy skin that you can't remove. I find myself constantly wiping my wife's S3 backing on my shirt in an attempt to make the back dry. You hold it in your palm for 5 minutes and it gets sticky. Very uncomfortable.
My son's Evo Lte felt like cool silk resting against my fingers and palm. Fortunately for the Evo lte that plastic piece is above where most people would hold the device, so you don't feel the sticky surface too often.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
My only other design issue with HTC, though minor, is the hard plastic piece at the rear bottom that houses the speaker cut out. Why is that plastic? And why is it a separate piece? It added another needless seam to the back. From the kickstand (Do we really "kick" it?) all the way down to the silver machining should be unibody. That plastic painted piece is gonna wear from sitting in your palm and change color eventually.
Is it too late to digress?

Sprint has a lot to do with the design choice too. I would lay the blame at their feet.

If you want less smudges on the plastic, a little car wax works wonders.

Sent from my EVO LTE using Tapatalk 2

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Sprint has a lot to do with the design choice too. I would lay the blame at their feet.

If you want less smudges on the plastic, a little car wax works wonders.

You have unequivocal proof that Sprint is responsible for the design choice? If not, then you can't lay blame with them. That's a little short sighted. You can't just blame on somebody cuz you're in the mood.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
You have unequivocal proof that Sprint is responsible for the design choice? If not, then you can't lay blame with them. That's a little short sighted. You can't just blame on somebody cuz you're in the mood.

Proof that they solely made the decision? Of course not. But they do have a huge say in the design and they wanted to keep the EVO look. I also think that m, logically, HTC would have preferred to release the One x across all carriers to create a brand as Samsung has done. Put these together and most would say the blame falls more on Spring than HTC. Its not short sighted at all, its business. Sprint is the buyer, HTC is the manufacturer. Sprint has a decent degree of control on what the finished product looks like. I'm not just blaming someone because I feel like it, I'm thinking about it logically.

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Proof that they solely made the decision? Of course not. But they do have a huge say in the design and they wanted to keep the EVO look. I also think that m, logically, HTC would have preferred to release the One x across all carriers to create a brand as Samsung has done. Put these together and most would say the blame falls more on Spring than HTC. Its not short sighted at all, its business. Sprint is the buyer, HTC is the manufacturer. Sprint has a decent degree of control on what the finished product looks like. I'm not just blaming someone because I feel like it, I'm thinking about it logically.

That makes sense. I used unnecessarily strong language. I will say that we don't know to what degree each party was responsible for the design decision.
I wonder if they utilize focus groups.
Just think if HTC/Sprint had recruited some of you guys to help with brainstorming and critique. It's definitely an idea whose time has come.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I will say that we don't know to what degree each party was responsible for the design decision. I wonder if they utilize focus groups. Just think if HTC/Sprint had recruited some of you guys to help with brainstorming and critique. It's definitely an idea whose time has come.

If it was Sprint that pushed the design into giving us a One X but with a better case, kickstand, camera button, AND SD card, then I can live with a shiny black piece on the back :)

I just wish they had pushed them into 2GB of RAM... I would gladly have paid the extra $10 or $15 or whatever it would have cost.

Reactions: Dissonance

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
That makes sense. I used unnecessarily strong language. I will say that we don't know to what degree each party was responsible for the design decision.
I wonder if they utilize focus groups.
Just think if HTC/Sprint had recruited some of you guys to help with brainstorming and critique. It's definitely an idea whose time has come.

i know when the EVO was first announced, there were a few in some threads here explaining the level of control the carrier has in the design of the phone. Its pretty large according to some of these people, and they were apparently involved in the industry. I agree that focus groups would be a wonderful idea. I don't think we would have the Frankenstein back had they used them, lol

If it was Sprint that pushed the design into giving us a One X but with a better case, kickstand, camera button, AND SD card, then I can live with a shiny black piece on the back :)

I just wish they had pushed them into 2GB of RAM... I would gladly have paid the extra $10 or $15 or whatever it would have cost.

Completely agree. I can live with it, but I would still prefer a black One X back, lol

Glenn

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site

You forgot higher capacity battery ;)

Now Sprint just needs to get LTE working in more markets. I'm rather missing the ability to turn on 4G to get faster transfer speeds, as I do have WiMax in my area.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781