Data roaming question

Cyrene

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I frequent an area that gets horrible 3g coverage despite what the sprint map says. Sprint reps have given me every possible amount of BS as far as explanations. Yesterday, I turned on data roaming and after about 3 minutes, tapatalk finally loaded. Then another 3 min for a thread ro load, etc. After about 10, I had almost a 20% battery drain and my phone was about to overheat. I heard that while roaming on Verizon towers, we're only getting 1X. Is this true?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2 from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Not sure what speed the roaming is at, but are you sure you were data roaming? The phone will only roam if there is no Sprint data, not just weak data.

Reactions: Cyrene

Cyrene

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Not sure what speed the roaming is at, but are you sure you were data roaming? The phone will only roam if there is no Sprint data, not just weak data.

I'm not sure, but I am assuming based on the fact I could never access the internet from this location at all until I changed the roaming setting.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure, but I am assuming based on the fact I could never access the internet from this location at all until I changed the roaming setting.

He is correct, though. You can't voluntarily roam on voice or data, only allow or disallow it. If there is a Sprint signal, no matter how weak, you are stuck with it. On older phones, you could force roaming mode only, but that went away a few years ago because it cost Sprint too much money.

Reactions: Cyrene

JayMunOne

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
You can still force roam, by rooting and using certain apps. I would be SOL 8 hours a day if I couldn't roam. Then again, it still sucks. Data is slow. I force roam almost exclusively to send receive texts. At some point, unlimited talk and data is sh$t if I can't get reception to begin with. A little frustrated I re-upped for two more years.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G LTE on a now non-LTE Network!

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
He is correct, though. You can't voluntarily roam on voice or data, only allow or disallow it. If there is a Sprint signal, no matter how weak, you are stuck with it. On older phones, you could force roaming mode only, but that went away a few years ago because it cost Sprint too much money.

Are you sure? I have an option for roam only, cdma only, and automatic.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Are you sure? I have an option for roam only, cdma only, and automatic.

Not on a stock Evo LTE you don't! There are exactly two options:

* Sprint Only
* Automatic (which means Sprint if there is ANY signal, roam if there is zero Sprint)

Glenn

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
If you are roaming, you'll see a little triangle next to the signal bars. You can set the phone to make a noise when you're data roaming, if you want to be sure.