So my phone scares the bejesus out of me...

MexRex

May 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm chilling on my bed reading on my tablet when my phone goes off. I hear some sort of loud alarm sound and my screen comes on. I freak out and grab my phone to see this?

ixe7p.png

Anybody seen this? It scared me but that's cool.

doomstang

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Open the Messages app, press menu, go to Settings, and tap on Emergency Alerts. You can opt in or out of most of these (except presidential ones).
Having said that, I've never received one before so it's kind of interesting to see it in a picture.
Just FYI, you can take a screenshot of your phone by holding power and pressing the Home key instead of getting another camera to take a pic of your phone :p

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Yep, I got a tornado warning weeks ago and it scared the crap out of me. I had no idea the phone could do that and the tone sounded exactly like an emergency radio signal. At first, I didn't even realize it was coming from the phone.

And although this seems like a cool and great idea, it turns out the alert was for an area almost 30 miles away. So it wasn't that accurate.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I have never seen that and most likely won't seeing as though I have stock app notifications off. I use handcent for messages. That's pretty cool I must say. I get them type of alerts from my weather bug elite app.

Sent from my EVO 4g lte

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I have never seen that and most likely won't seeing as though I have stock app notifications off. I use handcent for messages. That's pretty cool I must say. I get them type of alerts from my weather bug elite app.

Just speculation, but I think this cannot be turned off and is something "hard coded on" for new phones. It was not an app notification. It had a completely different sound and took over the screen.

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I got that a couple of weeks ago and it scared the crap out of me too. And it happened right after I had booted into a new ROM I had flashed, so I thought something was really screwed up :eek:

sed51329

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
This happened during a flash flood warning in WI a month ago.

It makes the same noise that the emergency broadcast system uses on TV.

I jumped the first time I heard it.

15 minutes later, my boyfriend's HTC EVO 3D did the same thing.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
6c318f98-30c6-3cc9.jpg
6c318f98-2e02-9850.jpg
Just speculation, but I think this cannot be turned off and is something "hard coded on" for new phones. It was not an app notification. It had a completely different sound and took over the screen.

Well I went into the stock message app and guess what, in settings there are settings for the emergency alerts so it is true, if you shut off the notifications you do not get emergency alerts.

Sent from my EVO 4g lte

Last edited:
Reactions: crxssi

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Well I went into the stock message app and guess what, in settings there are settings for the emergency alerts so it is true, if you shut off the notifications you do not get emergency alerts.

Great find! I had no idea it was there in messaging settings! Thanks. I do plan to keep the defaults, except I turned of "Amber alerts".

At least what I remember was slightly correct- you can't turn off some alerts- specifically what they are calling "Presidential" alerts.

Reactions: zmann

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Great find! I had no idea it was there in messaging settings! Thanks. I do plan to keep the defaults, except I turned of "Amber alerts".

At least what I remember was slightly correct- you can't turn off some alerts- specifically what they are calling "Presidential" alerts.

If you turn the apps notification off then yes,, even presidential go off,, all goes off. I don't use this message app so it's all shut down.

Sent from my EVO 4g lte

Cyrene

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
If you turn the apps notification off then yes,, even presidential go off,, all goes off. I don't use this message app so it's all shut down.

Sent from my EVO 4g lte

I have the stock messaging notifications turned off, but I still received alerts (weather) until I went into settings and manually turned them off.

Sent from my EVO LTE using Tapatalk 2

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
We may be saying the same thing here somehow. That's what I have been saying,, going into settings and turning notification off stops even the emergency alerts. I use handcent messages app and I don't get any emergency alerts. The whole point I was trying to make is they can be shut down, all of them. :D

Sent from my EVO 4g lte

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
When I shut notification off in the settings in the stock app this is what happens,, all these boxes go Grey,, even the presidential one,, that indicates they are off. When I turn notification on, yes the presidential box stays checked and I can't uncheck it which would mean if you use the stock app then yes, you can't shut down the presidential alerts,, but if you do not use the app, and have notifications completely off,, then even that alert gets turned off.

Sent from my EVO 4g lte

dtreo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Hah! Presidential alerts. Maybe I will get one that scares the crap out of me by showing my tax increase coming next year.
:p

quorra

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
When I shut notification off in the settings in the stock app this is what happens,, all these boxes go Grey,, even the presidential one,, that indicates they are off. When I turn notification on, yes the presidential box stays checked and I can't uncheck it which would mean if you use the stock app then yes, you can't shut down the presidential alerts,, but if you do not use the app, and have notifications completely off,, then even that alert gets turned off.

Sent from my EVO 4g lte

I'm pretty sure that the presidential one is greyed out with a check mark. Meaning, you can't toggle that setting. The others, yes. Presidential, no.