So my phone scares the bejesus out of me...

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, I meant ridiculous in the sense that we actually have a "presidential alert" on our phones.

It does seem a bit extreme. The concept is sound, but I think what it is named could be better- perhaps "National Emergency Alert" or something. Still, I find it irritating that someone decided that I am not allowed to control my own device. I would leave the alert on anyway, but not giving me a choice is something that is (to me, anyway) borderline unacceptable.

errbin

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I meant ridiculous in the sense that we actually have a "presidential alert" on our phones.

Sent via EVO LTE

Just in case there's a zombie outbreak
I can see the text now

Presidential alert ~ the $#it has hit the fan.. There's a zombie outbreak.. See you at area 51 we're going to mars

sent from a EVO that survived a Apple attack... thug life

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
It does seem a bit extreme. The concept is sound, but I think what it is named could be better- perhaps "National Emergency Alert" or something. Still, I find it irritating that someone decided that I am not allowed to control my own device. I would leave the alert on anyway, but not giving me a choice is something that is (to me, anyway) borderline unacceptable.

You do have a choice,, don't use the stock message app. Round and round we go.

Sent from my EVO 4g lte

Cyrene

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site

Sent via EVO LTE

All my alerts are turned off. However, even though presidential is grayed out, the check remains green while the other checks are gray. This means the presidential alert cannot be turned off no matter what.

Sent from my EVO LTE using Tapatalk 2

doomstang

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I like how it took everyone until halfway through the thread to figure out where those settings were when I posted them in the 3rd post...did nobody read?

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site

If the presidential alert has to be activated there has to be something seriously heavy going on that everyone needs to know about immediately. Like worse than 9/11 bad.

In this case public safety trumps having full control over your phone.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

bas.androiddev

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Pfft we'll see, it has abuse written all over it.

I swear if I get one "Presidential alert" that is begging for campaign donations or something lame, I'm flushing this phone right down the toilet.

4TTube

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Just in case there's a zombie outbreak
I can see the text now

Presidential alert ~ the $#it has hit the fan.. There's a zombie outbreak.. See you at area 51 we're going to mars

sent from a EVO that survived a Apple attack... thug life

Make sure you have a $5 bill and your new sneakers on when you drink the Cool Aid! :eek:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Pfft we'll see, it has abuse written all over it.

I swear if I get one "Presidential alert" that is begging for campaign donations or something lame, I'm flushing this phone right down the toilet.

Lol.

It's not a special Twitter account for the president.

dtreo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
If the presidential alert has to be activated there has to be something seriously heavy going on that everyone needs to know about immediately. Like worse than 9/11 bad.

In this case public safety trumps having full control over your phone.

If it's that bad, we will all surely know from many sources other than a text from the prez. Just another needless govt spend.

Sent via EVO LTE

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
If it's that bad, we will all surely know from many sources other than a text from the prez. Just another needless govt spend.

Sent via EVO LTE

*sigh*

You're taking the "Presidential" part too literally.

Just replace "Presidential" with "Systemwide" and it makes more sense.

And again, we're not talking about getting a news story about a bomb that went off a thousand miles away. This would be used in a "ICBMs about to come raining down" situation. Something that you might want to know about in case you aren't listening to the radio or watching TV.

I get people are discontent or even downright pissed at Washington right now but there's nothing political about the Emergency Alert System.

dtreo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
*sigh*

You're taking the "Presidential" part too literally.

Just replace "Presidential" with "Systemwide" and it makes more sense.

And again, we're not talking about getting a news story about a bomb that went off a thousand miles away. This would be used in a "ICBMs about to come raining down" situation. Something that you might want to know about in case you aren't listening to the radio or watching TV.

I get people are discontent or even downright pissed at Washington right now but there's nothing political about the Emergency Alert System.

LOL, I know, just a funny topic really. I wonder what he will use after BlackBerry goes under...
;)

Sent via EVO LTE

Looking4Serenity

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I don't mind getting these damn alerts (my phone did this for the first time today... twice... for the same alert... for the region I don't live in (apparently keyed to your area code, not your zip)).

All I want to do is change the fscking sound so it doesn't scare the bejeesus :eek: out of me. I keep my phone volume maxed so I can hear other, more pleasant ringtones, not so I can hear that sh!t all the time. Any suggestions?

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't mind getting these damn alerts (my phone did this for the first time today... twice... for the same alert... for the region I don't live in (apparently keyed to your area code, not your zip)).

All I want to do is change the fscking sound so it doesn't scare the bejeesus :eek: out of me. I keep my phone volume maxed so I can hear other, more pleasant ringtones, not so I can hear that sh!t all the time. Any suggestions?

I got 2 amber alerts today and I thought something was about to blow up in my office

blorgon

May 25, 2012
Visit site
The night before last, I got woken up by a "Blizzard Alert" at 3:50am! I have my phone set to vibrate which I can still hear well, for possible emergency calls or texts. So I assumed something was wrong, freaked me out!

I don't need a weather alert to wake me up at 3:50am, unless I'm in immediate danger. Also, where I live was never under a blizzard warning, and still isn't, only a winter storm warning. And I already knew about the weather because I'm not an ignoramus.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The night before last, I got woken up by a "Blizzard Alert" at 3:50am! I have my phone set to vibrate which I can still hear well, for possible emergency calls or texts. So I assumed something was wrong, freaked me out!

I don't need a weather alert to wake me up at 3:50am, unless I'm in immediate danger. Also, where I live was never under a blizzard warning, and still isn't, only a winter storm warning. And I already knew about the weather because I'm not an ignoramus.

Go into the Messages app and turn them off if you don't want them.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site

I agree. It is a feature that *COULD* be useful if it was done correctly. But it is not done correctly at all. So it must be turned off. What a shame- something that COULD have saved lives, too. But when you "cry wolf", nobody will pay attention anymore.

I posted before that I, too, had the crap scared out of me several times with extremely false/invalid crud.

blorgon

May 25, 2012
Visit site

I did. But my point is that I shouldn't have to. The alert I got was incorrect for my area, came at an inappropriate time (since there was no immediate threat) and the notification comes in like a phone call, which I can't change. The only options are to turn my phone to completely silent, which means I would miss real emergency calls, or turn off the weather emergency notifications altogether. Neither is ideal. The point I'm trying to make is that the system needs fixing in order to be useful and not disruptive and confusing, not to mention incorrect.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2