Just Cracked My EVO LTE Screen..Best Buy Insurance

36cf

May 8, 2012
Visit site
So, I went out on the trails for a jog this morning to get a little exercise. Since I cannot find an armband for my EVO (purchased as a pre-order), I carry the phone in my hand and listen to my tunes while I jog (TPU case). As I'm running, a root jumped out from nowhere and tripped my while I was going at a hard jog. I did a tuck and roll to try and save my phone, but to no avail.

The screen is cracked diagonally from the multitask button up to about the middle part of the left side of the phone. It doesn't make the phone defective, but sucks, nonetheless.

Luckily, I have Best Buy's insurance. I have never filed a claim, though. I'm wondering how the process typically works. Do I just walk in and they hand me a new phone (doubt it)? I'm thinking they'll send mine out for repairs and I'll get a loaner. How long does this normally take? What is the loaner typically like? How much of a hassle will they give me?

Also, someone please point me in the direction of a good arm band.

Thanks in advance!

rosser

Former Advisor
Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
I just got my Galaxy Nexus from bby on Thursday and I think the guy said that you bring it to them and it is a three day process to get you a new phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

FaisDogg

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Just walk in , they will give you the new one right away (hoping they have it in stock where you go) because they only keep for there techs if the damage is not visible. EVO Lte is new so they dont do screen replacements as of yet, so they will have to replace it

prapoza07

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
When you bring it into the store it typically takes one to three business days for a replacement to arrive, though it could be a bit longer for the Evo LTE since it's fairly new and there may not be a large supply of refurbished units for warranty fulfillments yet. You do not get an immediate in store replacement. They will issue you a loaner if you need one in the mean time for a $50 deposit, which you get back once your replacement phone arrives and you return the loaner undamaged.

palo117

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I cracked my screen a couple of weeks ago. I took it in to best buy they gave me a loaner and had another phone for me in three days.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

choo69

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Is there a problem with the LTE screen cracking. I dropped mine one time and it cracked. The og EVO I have dropped Manny times and not one scratch.

cuffs50

May 9, 2012
Visit site
I would've thought with the gorilla glass it'd have been a little tougher to crack. Then again I guess any glass if dropped in the right spot will break.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

kg4icg

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
It does have gorilla glass, but the actual LCD panel under the gorilla glass is extremely fragile to g shock and pressure. Found that out this week myself. $100 and 1 day later through Asurion and have a brand new one.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

MDteX

May 14, 2010
Visit site
It does have gorilla glass, but the actual LCD panel under the gorilla glass is extremely fragile to g shock and pressure. Found that out this week myself. $100 and 1 day later through Asurion and have a brand new one.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

I think you got lucky. I think the deductible is now $150 through Asurion.

DougB541#CB

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Glass will break just depending on point of impact..that is all.

There is no conspiracy about weak or strong glass, glass in itself is a strong....yet at the same time...fragile material.

CheriePie

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I already cracked my screen too after only a month of usage. I had dropped my original EVO many more times than that in the 2 years I had it, and I didn't even have a case on it, and not a single crack!

And yes, I too got my replacement from Asurion for the $100 deductible. From what I understand through some correspondence I received in the mail, the $11 increase and deductible bump up (to $150) for higher end phones will go into effect on September 19th.

36cf

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I went to best buy today to exchange the phone. Their replacement was a non-android flip phone! I'm going to wait until Friday and reactivate my Hero while I do the rapid exchange. Because I know I'm getting it fixed, I went caseless. I had a generic TPU case on. Now that I'm ceaseless, I may never case this phone again. I love it.

In other news, Best Buy's setup is subpar at best.