So, I'm new to Android, so bear with me.

but, having setup my EVO 4G LTE and put in some tracking and monitoring apps, it is clear that many apps just start, with no interaction on the users part.

For example, facebook (which I literally NEVER use) shows up in task manager, even though it hasn't been started by me. in the settings, both the app and device settings, it is not setup to check on anything.

Same is true for google play,
    google play movies & tv,
    messenger+
    google+
    and then CHROME which I don't really use at all since it doesn't quick and sucks my battery.

Why would these apps be in the task manager, if after a reboot I have killed them either directly of using Advanced Task Killer.

And yet, there they all are again in TM running
    08-07-2012 03:59 PM
    It doesn't really do anything to your battery you will see in your battery use. DON'T use a task manager they do no good just use the installed one on your phone. I use gsam battery monitor it changed from badass battery monitor then u will see your useage from what's using battery. Also since you are new to android not sure if you know or not but push the back button when you leave anything. In any apps back out of push the menu and see if there is a exit. Never push the home button unless you are changing launchers.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
    08-07-2012 04:34 PM
    Welcome to android, thats just how it is. Apps are preloaded into memory so they can be launched faster. No need to worry though since the OS automatically clears out memory for anything that needs it. Advanced task killer is a thing of the past, no need to use it.
    08-07-2012 04:36 PM
    So, I'm new to Android, so bear with me.

but, having setup my EVO 4G LTE and put in some tracking and monitoring apps, it is clear that many apps just start, with no interaction on the users part.

For example, facebook (which I literally NEVER use) shows up in task manager, even though it hasn't been started by me. in the settings, both the app and device settings, it is not setup to check on anything.

Same is true for google play,
    google play movies & tv,
    messenger+
    google+
    and then CHROME which I don't really use at all since it doesn't quick and sucks my battery.

Why would these apps be in the task manager, if after a reboot I have killed them either directly of using Advanced Task Killer.

And yet, there they all are again in TM running
    This bugs the crap out of me too, but I've been told by just about everyone and read just about everywhere that it has no ill effect on the battery. I still have this thought in the back of my head that if something is running then it must be using battery, even if it's a small amount...but the consensus is that they don't and I don't think that everyone in the Android community is lying or misinformed. I'm still kinda OCD about stuff running that I never use though (like Facebook), but more on principal than out of concern for my phone's resources. So I just freeze the apps I don't use with Titanium Backup and never see them again.

Sent from my EVO LTE
    08-07-2012 06:07 PM
    This bugs the crap out of me too, but I've been told by just about everyone and read just about everywhere that it has no ill effect on the battery. I still have this thought in the back of my head that if something is running then it must be using battery, even if it's a small amount...but the consensus is that they don't and I don't think that everyone in the Android community is lying or misinformed. I'm still kinda OCD about stuff running that I never use though (like Facebook), but more on principal than out of concern for my phone's resources. So I just freeze the apps I don't use with Titanium Backup and never see them again.

Sent from my EVO LTE
    Memory uses the same amount of power whether it's "empty" or "full." Free memory isn't switched off or dormant.

As long as the process in memory isn't using CPU cycles, that process doesn't use any more power than if the memory space it's occupying was free.
    PreMo15 likes this.
    08-07-2012 09:24 PM
    Memory uses the same amount of power whether it's "empty" or "full." Free memory isn't switched off or dormant.

As long as the process in memory isn't using CPU cycles, that process doesn't use any more power than if the memory space it's occupying was free.
    Totally makes sense, thanks

Sent from my EVO LTE
    08-08-2012 12:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD