Root or unroot: phone still can't find the OTA update?

JayMunOne

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
So I rooted with zedomax and have decided I want to update to 1.22.* so I permanently unrooted with SuperSU. I manually attempt to check for update and my phone says I'm up to date. However I'm still on 1.13 (or whatever it is). What gives?

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G LTE on a now non-LTE Network!

themuffinman

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
So I rooted with zedomax and have decided I want to update to 1.22.* so I permanently unrooted with SuperSU. I manually attempt to check for update and my phone says I'm up to date. However I'm still on 1.13 (or whatever it is). What gives?

This makes no sense, if you wanted the latest OTA why not just flash the rooted version of the OTA which has been available since day 1?

Reactions: PreMo15

JayMunOne

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't flashing the rooted version require me to be S-OFF? I'm leary of doing that. Can't I just permanently unroot, then update, then reroot using a new method?

PreMo15

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, any ROM that says it's based on the 1.22.651.3 RUU will be the equivalent of the latest OTA and will have root access. Just download and flash one if those. If you want the latest firmware too, you can flash that separately if your hboot version is lower than 1.15.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1766628

Just make sure you don't update the bootloader (hboot) with the rest of the firmware, or you will lose the ability to flash firmware with this method in the future (unless you're S-OFF).

Sent from my EVO LTE

JayMunOne

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
The thing is, I prefer stock setup. I looked at the roms, like meanrom, and while its great, I'd prefer my phone maintain stock setup with root and updates.

PreMo15

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
The thing is, I prefer stock setup. I looked at the roms, like meanrom, and while its great, I'd prefer my phone maintain stock setup with root and updates.

If you want to go completely stock, you can run the RUU, there's a link in this thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1773853

One you do that, you'll need to root again.

Sent from my EVO LTE

themuffinman

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site

When I said you can flash the rooted version of the ota, I meant the stock rooted verion which is what you are looking for. If you want to stay rooted always remember to never try to take any ota's directly from sprint/htc. Also remember that 9 times out of 10 there will be a flashable stock rooted option available the same day or day after an ota is released, so specifically unrooting just to get an ota is totally necessary and a waste of time, not to mention there is always the possibility of never gaining root access again.

Reactions: newboyx

JayMunOne

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Does the rooted version of the OTA have all the necessary firmware updates too? And can I just flash it on top of what I've got now?

PreMo15

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Does the rooted version of the OTA have all the necessary firmware updates too? And can I just flash it on top of what I've got now?

The software (rom) and firmware (radio,pro,etc.) portions of the OTA are both available but they have to be flashed separately. Check my first post for a link to both...you want the firmware package without hboot.

You will need a custom recovery to flash them, which requires S-OFF or an unlocked bootloader. I think zedomax's method only gives local root but doesn't unlock the bootloader...unless it's been updated. Do you have TWRP recovery installed?

Sent from my EVO LTE

Last edited:

JayMunOne

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
The software (rom) and firmware (radio,pro,etc.) portions of the OTA are both available but they have to be flashed separately. Check my first post for a link to both...you want the firmware package without hboot.

You will need a custom recovery to flash them, which requires S-OFF or an unlocked bootloader. I think zedomax's method only gives local root but doesn't unlock the bootloader...unless it's been updated. Do you have TWRP recovery installed?

Sent from my EVO LTE

I dont have it installed. Zedomax just gives local root. So, if I follow your advisement, I should do the following:

1. Permanently unroot Zedomax using SuperSU
2. Root and unlock bootloader and recovery flashing using RegawMOD
3. Use TWRP (which I get from RegawMOD) and flash Stock Rooted Odexed 1.22.651.3 (or deodexed--or does it matter?)
4. Use TWRP (which I get from RegawMOD) and flash Latest Firmware Without Recovery, Boot(kernel) or hBoot

Does that sound right? Am I even close?

PreMo15

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I dont have it installed. Zedomax just gives local root. So, if I follow your advisement, I should do the following:

1. Permanently unroot Zedomax using SuperSU
2. Root and unlock bootloader and recovery flashing using RegawMOD
3. Use TWRP (which I get from RegawMOD) and flash Stock Rooted Odexed 1.22.651.3 (or deodexed--or does it matter?)
4. Use TWRP (which I get from RegawMOD) and flash Latest Firmware Without Recovery, Boot(kernel) or hBoot

Does that sound right? Am I even close?

Yep, you got it. You could probably skip the first step of unrooting, since it shouldn't keep regawMOD from doing it's thing...but it wouldn't hurt I suppose.

Alternately, I would strongly suggest running lazy panda to get S-OFF while you can. As of right now it only works with the first hboot revision (which it sounds like you have). You may never update your hboot, but if you do (accidentally or otherwise) you will have to wait for it to be cracked to allow S-OFF. If you do it now, it's permanent and you won't lose it in future hboot updates if you accidentally take an OTA. In fact, with S-OFF you wouldn't even need to use regawMOD. You're already rooted so all you would need to do is run lazy panda and then download goomanager from the market to install TWRP. That would give you the ability to flash literally anything, including stock rooted roms and firmware every time an OTA is released.

Sent from my EVO LTE

Last edited:

SpencerHTC

May 25, 2012
Visit site
If you have an unlocked bootloader, then you still can't recieve updates. Unrooting doesn't do much good because it doesn't relock your bootloader.

JayMunOne

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Yep, you got it. You could probably skip the first step of unrooting, since it shouldn't keep regawMOD from doing it's thing...but it wouldn't hurt I suppose.

Alternately, I would strongly suggest running lazy panda to get S-OFF while you can. As of right now it only works with the first hboot revision (which it sounds like you have). You may never update your hboot, but if you do (accidentally or otherwise) you will have to wait for it to be cracked to allow S-OFF. If you do it now, it's permanent and you won't lose it in future hboot updates if you accidentally take an OTA. In fact, with S-OFF you wouldn't even need to use regawMOD. You're already rooted so all you would need to do is run lazy panda and then download goomanager from the market to install TWRP. That would give you the ability to flash literally anything, including stock rooted roms and firmware every time an OTA is released.

Sent from my EVO LTE

Thanks brother. I'm a noob so I sincerely appreciate. One final thing. Odexed or deodexed?

PreMo15

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Thanks brother. I'm a noob so I sincerely appreciate. One final thing. Odexed or deodexed?

Not a problem. I prefer deodexed because some themes require it. It allows them to make changes to or replace the required files for the theme's styles to display correctly. Stock roms come odexed by default which means they're optimized for a faster boot time, but cannot use certain themes. If you want to be as close to stock as possible, odexed would be the way to go. If you think you might want to apply some themes at some point, better to go deodexed now to save yourself some trouble in the future.

Sent from my EVO LTE

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I just ran through the regawMOD root/recovery process and ran into a snag. It got to the point where my phone rebooted into TWRP 2.2.1 and then instructed me to flash a particular zip file for the rooting part. However, the zip file never got pushed to my phone. I did have s-off already so with TWRP in place I was able to just flash a rooted ROM (I chose MeanROM but you can also use the stock rooted ROM as well). So, I now have all 3 pieces in place: s-off (lazy panda), TWRP 2.2.1 (regawMOD) and root (part of the installed ROM). From what I read is some of those threads, TWRP 2.2.1 allows you to do a full ROM flash with s-on.

PreMo15

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I just ran through the regawMOD root/recovery process and ran into a snag. It got to the point where my phone rebooted into TWRP 2.2.1 and then instructed me to flash a particular zip file for the rooting part. However, the zip file never got pushed to my phone. I did have s-off already so with TWRP in place I was able to just flash a rooted ROM (I chose MeanROM but you can also use the stock rooted ROM as well). So, I now have all 3 pieces in place: s-off (lazy panda), TWRP 2.2.1 (regawMOD) and root (part of the installed ROM). From what I read is some of those threads, TWRP 2.2.1 allows you to do a full ROM flash with s-on.

Yeah, that's a known issue with regawMOD...the dev is working on a fix. Glad you were able to finish it yourself, the thread over at xda has been full of people who just can't figure it out.

BTW, I never thought I would see anyone else on an android forum that's from Leander too. Represent!

JayMunOne

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site

Sent from my EVO LTE

Help!

So I got past steps 1-3, successfully flashed the StockRom; however, TWRP wouldn't let me install the updated firmware. It kept giving me an error message. Did I do something wrong?

Last edited:

PreMo15

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Help!

So I got past steps 1-3, successfully flashed the StockRom; however, TWRP wouldn't let me install the updated firmware. It kept giving me an error message. Did I do something wrong?

Firmware can't be installed though TWRP, only the bootloader...and only if you're s-off. The PJ75IMG.zip file goes on your external sd card, then boot into the bootloader and the installation should start automatically.

Sent from my EVO LTE

bpdamas

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Help!

Where is your phone right now? I mean, are you still on 1.13? Can you get s-off still? It sounds like you like your set up a lot like mine and to have stock and root access but still be able to accept the OTA updates. If this is correct, I would highly recommend s-off if you still can. Let me know and I can help you through it to make it easier in the future.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech