Upload speed twice download?

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed that I consistently get much better upload speeds than download speeds while on 3g. On WiFi its normal (download is higher).

s1moore

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed the same issue, especially in locations where my download speeds are horrible yet my uploads are fine. I contacted sprint about it and they just said to bring my phone by a Sprint service center to see if there was anything wrong with it. Not exactly the answer I expected or was hoping for.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Reactions: Va1ha11a

flyer8493

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed that I consistently get much better upload speeds than download speeds while on 3g. On WiFi its normal (download is higher).

It means the tower is overloaded, it's a capacity issue. Network vision or some band aid fix (whichever comes first) will eventually take care of it.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
It means the tower is overloaded, it's a capacity issue. Network vision or some band aid fix (whichever comes first) will eventually take care of it.

Yep- this is the answer. Most network use is downloading, by far. When the tower (and/or backhaul) is overloaded, it is the downloading that suffers the most, leaving the upload bandwidth least affected.

To prove it, just run a speed test at something like 1am and watch your download speed return to normal.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
No pun intended....:)
[early morning]
Yes, I'm sure it would, however, I'm not eager to test this theory!

Yeah, I can relate. But just think of it as really late at night, instead :) (That is why I suggested 1am/2am originally. In the morning I am dead to the world until 8am).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech