Won't connect to Sprint's network-getting new phone.

Keonloxe

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
I am currently having a horrible connection issue which has rendered my EVO a POS.
My phone won't connect to Sprint's network after spending an hour on the phone and then taking it into the sprint store and letting them work on it for 2 hours. They can't get it to work and are ordering me a new one.
At first I couldn't make or receive calls or get online so I called Sprint and they fixed the calling after an hour but wanted me to do a factory reset to see if that would fix the internet part but I refused and took it into the store. The tech told me that this phone has been having this issue so HTC/Sprint/whatever is sending out some updates. For whatever reason they couldn't fix mine. I know it wasn't because if dropping because I have an otterbox on my phone. It just stopped working all of a sudden. This is day 4 without an internet connection and it sucks. I went ahead and did a factory reset to see if it'd work since I'm getting a new phone anyway. It didn't. I just connected to wifi at work and it connected for 5 min then started disconnecting/connecting and wouldn't maintain it so I gave up.
I like this phone so it sucks. It also has my skinit on it so I guess I'll have to get a new one. Just rambling my story on this phone.
Not ragging on it, really. Although this has happened before but it was able to be fixed over the phone, but I like this phone. I have considered getting the Galaxy 3 because of the very minor improvements, but it's such an ugly phone. Also considered getting an iphone but I've recently heard some stories about those too. Hopefully I will be very happy with the new one that comes. BTW, I've had this phone since the beginning of june. I've heard that getting a phone when it comes out isn't the best idea because you really won't know how it does with longevity and the later phones are a little better.

fkpalm

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Same thing happened to my wife's LTE she had it as a replacement over a month then this past weekend it started by not getting text messages then started getting data error. Was on with Sprint over hour they could not get it working. Told me to bring it back to best buy. Before I went there I tried factory reset and still got data 97 error. Best buy has replacements on back order hope it's not like my other one two weeks.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

thomasr1950

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm on my 3rd phone, wife is on her 2nd. All have had different issues, my wife did like your's won't connect. Now mine won't send/receive texts, i have Sprint's TEP so i'm getting another phone this week.

SROJR

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Second one here. After several hours with the phone support reps telling me it was "the towers". Trip to the Sprint Store confirmed that the 3G radio was dead. Replacement phone working "almost" fine; still get an occassional drop-out when I am streaming music but it pops right back on. Still love most everything else about the phone but it would be nice to see Spint fess-up to having some bad units out there. I wasted about 5 total hours messing with about 8 Sprint employees; two factory resets, the whole 9 yards. Just replace the phones.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I had this issue with one of my phones. Getting error code 97. The radio is not dead, but a regular factory reset won't fix it. You need to do the reset from the phone dialer that requires your msl # And, to the OP, don't refuse a factory reset when you're having issues, that's a bit ridiculous.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Had similar issues for awhile - wouldn't connect to the data network, although making voice calls was never an issue. On Friday it got bad - I couldn't connect to the data network AT ALL. I needed to navigate to a potential client, couldn't get there. Sprint tech support told me that the problem was network vision in the area, which I know is not the case. The guy walked me through some ## entries, but my phone couldn't re-activate because (guess what) it WOULDN'T CONNECT TO THE DATA NETWORK!!! so I lost out on an $11,000 contract because I couldn't even call the client to reschedule and then the store told me I would have to wait 4 days to get a replacement. When I asked the guy how I was supposed to run a business without a phone he told me that I just needed to suck it up. There was no offer for a temporary replacement of any kind.

I found out something: ##786# is a logistics menu and when I went in there I noticed that my phone number was not displayed correctly (because I couldn't talk to the network and activate the device). I used the menu to perform a reset (a TRUE factory reset) and after about 15 minutes, I was up and running again and have had no issues since. Get your MSL and you will be good to go with the ## codes. This may not help everyone but it sure saved me. And the Sprint store outside of the mall in Temecula, CA can suck it. A lot.

Last edited:

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Thats why i carry 2 phones. 1 personal and 1 work. Both on different carriers. This way if one fails i have a back up. Its paid off several times over the years.
Now that you have lost out on a 11K contract having a 2nd cell phone with a different provider makes a lot of sense.. pick up a phone on StraightTalk and keep it as a back up.

ollieg

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Interesting.

After an update in September I discovered my phone was sending and receiving 3G internet/email, but not text messages nor phone calls. It took me days to notice and get it fixed.

The key was that the phone's 611 service still dialed support, disproving all hardware issue theories as well as that pesky 'this requires a factory reset' theory.

It was more like my phone wasn't authenticating onto the network correctly.

At any rate, support was able to reset the phone, w/out a factory reset, and I've been connected ever since.

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Then I guess you were having a different issue than I was. I had no network connection at all. No data at all. No messaging at all. No phone calls at all. 611 "dialed" the Sprint Zone, where I could tap the option to call a Sprint rep @ 888.211.4727, the same thing *2 does. I'm glad that tech support got you going again, but you were still able to connect to the network. You just had reduced functionality. I was dead in the water.
Interesting.

After an update in September I discovered my phone was sending and receiving 3G internet/email, but not text messages nor phone calls. It took me days to notice and get it fixed.

The key was that the phone's 611 service still dialed support, disproving all hardware issue theories as well as that pesky 'this requires a factory reset' theory.

It was more like my phone wasn't authenticating onto the network correctly.

At any rate, support was able to reset the phone, w/out a factory reset, and I've been connected ever since.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae