Browser keeps closing and reverting to phone's home screen

RickJN

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
On xda one of the devs looked into the issue because he thought it was a Rom issue but when he looked at his logcat he says that its a java error on certain websites that you would visit.

Ive had this problem for a while as well, and switched to dolphin to avoid it.

Based on the above info I disabled javascript in settings/advanced for the stock browser and it seems to have taken care of the problem. I have visited a few sites from bookmarks and so far so good. I havnt tested this very long so too early to really tell, FWIW if turning off javascript doesnt work, there is also option to turn of flash as well.

Last edited:

RickJN

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
My problem is still clear and have turned JavaScript back on.

FWIW last night my son was playing mc3 and depleted the battery, maybe even overheated it. Screen went black, notification led flashing with menu buttons lit. Phone wouldn't respond or restart even by holding down the power button through several attempts. It did finally restart after charging for a while. I wonder if that discharge event created a 'deeper' ( for lack of a better term) battery pull. While I still had the problem prior to that, I didn't check this morning before I tried disabling JavaScript. Maybe it was that discharge that did it.

benga

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Mine started doing that more frequently after the latest update. It only closes on the stock browser but not chrome(which should b the stock browser imo on 4.0+ devices) or maxton. Weird.

cease121

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
My one X is doing the same thing but i just remembered it started soon after i enable flash i just disable flash n will see what happens but check yours and see if thats the reason cause it is freeking annoying having the browser crash all the time let me me know what happens.

cease121

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Try disabling flash cause mine started soon after i enable flash and now i have disable it and test but check yours and see if that fixes it

k3lli3

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
The title says it all. My browser keeps closing and reverting to phone's home screen. I have had the phone for about 6 weeks and software is up to date. The problem just started yesterday. Doesn't seem to be any particular web pages that make it happen. Any thoughts?

Mine does this also (LG Optimus). But also does it while playing games. Super frustrating and I've tried everything. No force close, though those happen a lot as well.

Rohan McCracken

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I don't know why anybody would suggest restarting you're phone...sounds like bs. Anyway
It is a easy fix. Just go to settings, developer options and un-tick do not keep activities...This will fix alot of things for you including posting photos etc

runcoach 100

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm finding the same problem with my nexus 7. Apps keep closing' the Google button /home button keeps operating without me touching it and the screens go crazy for a while. I suspect it is an Android problem and I am running the latest uh upgrade of ice cream sandwich. Not very happy. If they don't sort it quickly they will force me into the arms of Apple.!!

Gale Talon

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
Well the title says it all. Factory set pantech burst, only had it for a couple months. Closed out to the home screen repeatedly and sends me to the at&t screen when I reopen.

pimp_chimp1

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
My HTC Evo 4G's internet on multiple browsers was crashing back to the previous page constantly. Problem was solved by disabling Adobe Flash Player. Just wanted to pass the tip along.

MaryAnn444

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
This happens to me too. I currently have the iPhone 5 and before this I had a 4S. And this problem occurred with both phones. My theory is if you have too many web pages open That the phone gets overwhelmed. Or it could simply just be a glitch in the system.

- - - Updated - - -

This happens to me too. I currently have the iPhone 5 and before this I had a 4S. And this problem occurred with both phones. My theory is if you have too many web pages open That the phone gets overwhelmed. Or it could simply just be a glitch in the system.

lisandrop

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I think I found a solution for this issue. The exact same thing happens to me on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10". After looking a lot for a solution with no success I hooked up the tablet to my development environment to analyze the logs when the error occurs. Apparently there is a problem with com.google.process.gapps which is an Android OS process.

The solution:

Go to Apps management screen
Swipe to ALL APPS
Look for "Download Manager"

If its disabled, enable it.

If its enabled (my case) then:
1. Disable it
2. Clear its data
3. Reboot
4. Enable it again
5. Reboot.

I hope this helps someone.