Are you having contacts related issues?

What issues are you having?

• Total voters

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Quite a few of us are having contact issues of various sorts after the last update so I'm trying to get an idea of what is happening under certain setups. There seem to be various band-aids to help performance. These remedies only seem to help for a short time, or they only slightly improve overall performance. I made a poll so we can see what the most widespread problems are and maybe find a workaround until we hopefully get a fix from HTC. Also, feel free to chime in if you know of a custom ROM that seems to be contacts issue free.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Here's a strange one I came across. Seeing very slow performance in People app, especially when clicking on a contact to dial. Looking at "Linked Contacts" I see that ALL my contacts from Google are appearing twice (they are automatically linked together, but still something fishy).

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1351469480226.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351469480226.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 283

JD76ers

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm getting quite annoyed with this phone.
I am too, really bothers me when I cannot make a call in a timely manner or read/reply to a text in a timely manner. I really enjoyed the first couple of months of having this phone but lately its been very frustrating when it lags or just doesnt work.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
A hard reset fixed this for me. Have you tried that?

The issue is something that creeps up over time. A hard reset seems to fix it, but in reality it just hasn't occurred yet.

I'm on my third handset (replacements unrelated to this issue) and it is better but the messages lag still creeps up now and then. With this last one I didn't sync Facebook or restore my texts (I have ~25,000 of them). While it's better, there will still be occasions where messages will take 30+ to load or Contact Caller ID doesn't work.

It's definitely something they changed in that last update. But there is really nothing to report to HTC as there is no way to narrow down what might be causing the problem. Someone posted that Facebook was causing the issue a few weeks back but taking that out doesn't fix it, but it is less severe. Not being able to sync Facebook is ridiculous though. Even my underpowered Palm Pre had no problems with that.

The most frustrating thing is that disabling other stuff on the phone doesn't help at all. I would deal with a crippled device for a while to have properly functioning phone/contacts/messaging, but at the moment, seems we're just SOL.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
It seems to be a problem with Android Core Apps. I have OS Monitor running and whenever I have these delays I can see that OS Monitor shows the CPU is pegged near 100% and it is always one of these core apps. First it was "User Dictionary". Then I rebooted my phone, now it is "Search Application Providers".

Not sure what is going on... But I believe this is definitely related.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Something has corrupted your contacts. You need to erase them all and start over! If they are google contacts, you will need to clear them from the cloud!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Nope. If that was the case the problem would exist immediately after a hard reset and restoring contacts.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Nope. If that was the case the problem would exist immediately after a hard reset and restoring contacts.

Are you sure your contact problem isn't on the Google side and that is replicating to your phone? Mine appears to have been this. Somehow my Google contacts ended up with a ton of duplicates. I corrected this online then synced with my phone and my problems appear to have gone away (fingers crossed).

strongwilled

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I am having all of these issues and it is very frustrating. Sometimes when I restart it fixes it for a while, but it comes back. I definitely don't want to go through the trouble of a hard reset, mainly because I'm not rooted, which I know is what Sprint will do if I take it in. Let's hope HTC fixes this soon.

AFR_NY

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I believe the issue has to do with syncing contacts with social services like facebook and Twitter. I removed the sync with facebook and the app doesnt seem to be acting up anymore.

I know this isn't a fix, but I prefer to remove the sync for now than deal with these new issues.

I could be (probably am) wrong, but if you don't have any social sites linked to contacts and are still having issues, please let us know.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I could be (probably am) wrong, but if you don't have any social sites linked to contacts and are still having issues, please let us know.

No social sites linked here and never were on this replacement phone.

But on the previous with Facebook synced, the problem was several times worse.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Are you sure your contact problem isn't on the Google side and that is replicating to your phone? Mine appears to have been this. Somehow my Google contacts ended up with a ton of duplicates. I corrected this online then synced with my phone and my problems appear to have gone away (fingers crossed).

I really have idea what's causing it, I just know the phone problems stem from the contacts somehow.

I don't have duplicate contacts, and I only sync with my Google account so linking is not an issue.

This thing is a total mystery. :-\

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I really have idea what's causing it, I just know the phone problems stem from the contacts somehow.

I don't have duplicate contacts, and I only sync with my Google account so linking is not an issue.

This thing is a total mystery. :-\

Well so much for my problem being fixed... I don't have the performance problem now but my syncing with Google is one going one direction now, from Google to my phone. If I update a contact on my phone, the next time it syncs it overwrites my changes on my phone.. UGH!

jedson01

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Dropbox seems to be in competition with People as being my default contacts. I believe that to be the source (or maybe just another symptom) of my problems.

AeonZeroX

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm have the same contacts issue that the OP is mentioning along with additional bugs and related issues. Also noticed if you in a low coverage area, or generally semi sketchy service, the phone will from time to time drain faster then normal CDMA drain. Also as an added bonus until you go into an area of reasonable service our EVO LTE will boot loop constantly until its powered enough or in reasonable service zone. And hard resets don't fix it, making me and other's ive seen on the site believe that horrible ringtone fix they pushed out back near the end of September is the cause of most issues we are all having. It was bad enough they pulled the fix because of the issues it was causing, as if you look on HTC site for the fix it doesn't exist. I do not know why Sprint isn't commenting or making it a priority to fix these issues.

Sprint has to know about it but the tech support i contacted really had no idea but I'll try again soon and make the mention of this problem. I've already contacted HTC and they know about the issues but there's no ETA on an emergency fix. Honestly its just making my phone worst and worst even after three separate hard resets. The Facebook disconnect from sync after syncing the contacts once will make the lag go away a bit but it still creeps up from time to time. If anyone of higher standing can do so, can anyone get a hold of Sprint or HTC and find out when they will at least fix this signal/contacts bug.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Also noticed if you in a low coverage area, or generally semi sketchy service, the phone will from time to time drain faster then normal CDMA drain.

To remedy this you have to go through your apps and stop non-essential ones such as games from checking for notifications/info updates at set intervals in the background. For example, the Zynga games default to checking for notifications every 5 minutes. If you're in an area with lousy data coverage this notification check that should take a couple seconds takes minutes and saps the battery.

Weather apps and other that use location are notorious for this as well because they also access GPS so not only do you have heavy data usage, you have GPS locking that entire time. This is what's happening when you see "Maps" high up in the battery usage list even though you haven't been manually using GPS apps or your phone is idle.

This isn't a phenomenon unique to this phone, it's an Android thing. Google should really look at mandating that apps check with you when you install them/first run whether or not you want them to automatically update. Many apps run background updates for seemingly no reason at ridiculously short intervals. Under normal circumstances no one needs a weather temperature update every five minutes.