Update coming to HTC EVO 4G LTE

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Re: Update coming to HTC evo 4g lte

Fragmentation, fragmentation, fragmentation will always be the main issue with android.

I think you meant to say "Fragmentation, fragmentation, fragmentation will always be the main ADVANTAGE with Android."

thepowerofdonuts

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

I think you meant to say "Fragmentation, fragmentation, fragmentation will always be the main ADVANTAGE with Android."

I don't care how much of an Android fanboy or Apple hater you are, (not talking to you directly, just saying people in general) fragmentation is never a good thing in and of itself. Sure, competition leads to fragmentation because of different specs, but anything that delays an update is a bad thing. Most OEM skins are bad, but getting better, but I would rather have a newer OS than a better looking widget.

mrhankey184

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site

I don't care how much of an Android fanboy or Apple hater you are, (not talking to you directly, just saying people in general) fragmentation is never a good thing in and of itself. Sure, competition leads to fragmentation because of different specs, but anything that delays an update is a bad thing. Most OEM skins are bad, but getting better, but I would rather have a newer OS than a better looking widget.

Then just get a Nexus device...

mrhankey184

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site

I just called. Spoke to 3 different people until I finally got to somebody higher up who confirmed the update was going out too like 1000 devices at a time or something. I questioned her about the screen shot and she wouldn't confirm it but from what she said it sounded like she was looking at the same screen. She said we would get the update soon but there is no way to force iit. HTC said they got the update to sprint end of the month and sprint would push it out by the end of this month. It is Jelly Bean by the way according to HTC. So all is good.

The only problem in what that *higher up* person said is out of the 1,000 a day you would think someone would have confirmed it with a screen shot or it would've been leaked on the 15th. 1,000 phones a day? Thats 4,000 devices by now (business days)...one of us would've had it. That is for sure. Like I said before....I refrain from going off on sprint until the 30th. The lack of *clear* communication with the people that keep their business a float is ridiculous.

If HTC & Sprint approved a software update. whether its a maintenance release or Jelly Bean we should know that they are working on it, and give us a time frame. I don't care if they say "Q4" release. It would make me feel better than know nothing at all. The previous update in which it screwed up my contacts is no my fault. Its not faulty contacts, because everything was working before. If I get into an emergency and I need to call 911, my phone could lock up for MINUTES. That is a worst case scenario, but if that happens best believe lawsuits will follow and Sprint will rethink their whole operation on crictical updates like something that would fix basic phone calls and text messaging.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

I completely disagree. Fragmentation allows choice. With iOS your only choice is to do things the way Apple wants you to.

With Android you have choice. If you don't like how the manufacturers customize you can root and go with any of the tons of ROMs available.

Sure fragmentation costs you in waiting for updates, but to me that is a price I will pay.

I would rather have a choice than no choice and an update.

thepowerofdonuts

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

I completely disagree. Fragmentation allows choice. With iOS your only choice is to do things the way Apple wants you to.

With Android you have choice. If you don't like how the manufacturers customize you can root and go with any of the tons of ROMs available.

Sure fragmentation costs you in waiting for updates, but to me that is a price I will pay.

I would rather have a choice than no choice and an update.

I don't disagree with you that I would rather have choice than one device. I was merely pointing out that fragmentation is an undesired result of a good thing: competition. Competition and choice go hand in hand, but it doesn't mean you have to be happy about fragmentation.

boo5ted

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site

Yeah, um, no.

^^^This.

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

I know that people in Sprint's call center where I call for *2 (I have SERO so I get Employee Accounts), they know nothing. I've called a couple times.

Strange? I talked to 3 different people
at Sprint, one was a tech support manager.
They all said there is a JB Update for your evo's

Sent from my Coconut Wireless

eXplicit815

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site

Strange? I talked to 3 different people
at Sprint, one was a tech support manager.
They all said there is a JB Update for your evo's

Sent from my Coconut Wireless

They probably haven't heard anything over in the Employee Accounts department. If I could call from a phone that isn't on an employee account, I would probably get a completely different answer, but the Employee Accounts team is pretty small. I've probably spoken with every single one of them, whether it's for tech support or account support.

Andras

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site

This whole situation has been one of the biggest fails due to miscommunication from any company I have ever had to deal with. Fault lies on both Sprint and HTC. I mean for s***s sake, what amount of resources from both companies would it take to make a press release giving us good information. Surely the fact that people keep contacting them and telling them that we keep getting conflicting information on the update should raise a red flag to someone.

thepowerofdonuts

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

This whole situation has been one of the biggest fails due to miscommunication from any company I have ever had to deal with. Fault lies on both Sprint and HTC. I mean for s***s sake, what amount of resources from both companies would it take to make a press release giving us good information. Surely the fact that people keep contacting them and telling them that we keep getting conflicting information on the update should raise a red flag to someone.

Agreed.

The issue isn't so much that the update is late. Only Samsung has gotten it out to a few of their devices. I bet we will still get it before the vast majority of eligible smartphones.

However, from a PR perspective, it's horrible. You have people saying conflicting things from each company. Yes's and no's from Sprint and yes's and no's from HTC.

eXplicit815

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site

You'd be surprised how much they don't give a crap about it. I think the real reason is because they're not looking to drop JB on the phone right away without knowing that it's FULLY operational (and I can understand that). But when a customer flat out asks if it's coming because they didn't mention it in their original plans, their response should not be, "We're still weighing our options." That would then move to Sprint because they're the ones that give the ultimate say-so on if their phones get the update or not. I would imagine that if Hesse was removed from his spot, we'd begin to see a little more information, faster updates, and they certainly wouldn't hold an update until a new phone is released.

mstrblueskys

Q&A Team
Dec 21, 2011
Visit site

In all fairness to either company - we all aren't supposed to know we are getting an update. I'm guessing the communication would be much better if the information didn't leak out ahead of when both companies were ready to announce it.

Just a personal opinion that I think carries some legitimacy, but I don't think anyone is really to blame here; it's not a terrible situation at all. I would rather have an update that works well rather than a phone that doesn't work. We just need to keep checking and updating the forum with new information. Oh, and we should probably display some patience too. Stuff happens and delays some things. We're getting an update, so the question is just when.

balansboy

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site

In all fairness to either company - we all aren't supposed to know we are getting an update. I'm guessing the communication would be much better if the information didn't leak out ahead of when both companies were ready to announce it.

Just a personal opinion that I think carries some legitimacy, but I don't think anyone is really to blame here; it's not a terrible situation at all. I would rather have an update that works well rather than a phone that doesn't work. We just need to keep checking and updating the forum with new information. Oh, and we should probably display some patience too. Stuff happens and delays some things. We're getting an update, so the question is just when.

Valid point! If it hadn't been "leaked" this thread wouldn't even exist

mrhankey184

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site

It is a valid point, but if Sprint denied the update this thread wouldn't be 16 pages, it would be 2 at best. Rumors come, we all call sprint to verify and tech support, @sprintcare says Yes, an update is coming so now we want it...yes we are impatient, but give us a time frame. There is someone in software developement that knew this awhile ago, and could give us a better time frame or let customer service know internally so they have something to tell us, so Sprint doesn't look like they flat out don't care.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thtknt