Update coming to HTC EVO 4G LTE

ThisIsShellz

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Update coming to HTC evo 4g lte

Where the hell is this update? I feel so misled, I've been waiting forever...

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

gameaddict8

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

BigPuddin

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site

Pad phone 2 getting it.
ASUS PadFone 2 receiving Jelly Bean OTA | Android Central

Also, why do you feel misled? Sprint never guaranteed it, nor HTC. They are probably fixing connection issues & contact/dialer issues.

When you buy a flagship phone, you assume it will be maintained with current software for at least a year. Maybe it's a poor assumption, but that's where the frustrations come from.

BigPuddin

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site

I have a couple of questions, while we're all sitting around waiting for this update: for the people who have the contacts and messaging issues, have you guys swapped out phones?

I've had the new phone for about a week and a half and no contact issues yet. I'm not sure if I have different apps or not, I know I left some off that I just never used, but I don't remember which ones. I may investigate that when I have some more free time.

silverthornne

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site

@bluespider117:

That would be because TMo is a GSM carrier. PRL updates are a CDMA thing; the PRL equivalent on GSM is automated and usually not user-initiated.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

gameaddict8

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

I've had the new phone for about a week and a half and no contact issues yet. I'm not sure if I have different apps or not, I know I left some off that I just never used, but I don't remember which ones. I may investigate that when I have some more free time.

I have problems with google voice reloading. It might be the app though.

Clear out your phone app if you're having calling/phone history issues.

gameaddict8

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

When you buy a flagship phone, you assume it will be maintained with current software for at least a year. Maybe it's a poor assumption, but that's where the frustrations come from.

the evolte will get jb, it just takes longer since it's a carrier specific device. compared to the gnex & gs3 (which on on many networks)

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

Pad phone 2 getting it.
ASUS PadFone 2 receiving Jelly Bean OTA | Android Central

Also, why do you feel misled? Sprint never guaranteed it, nor HTC. They are probably fixing connection issues & contact/dialer issues.

Seriously? How can you not feel misled or let down right now?

The EVO line is supposed to have some prestige to it. Saying you have latest and greatest Evo should be a name drop. At least that's how I felt when u got the phone. Now?... Is that the phone from that stupid let's play music on our phones because the actual phone part doesn't work for a damn ad?

So yeah, after buying a flagship phone and then having it run an old version of android and not even run it well, I'm feeling the slightest but misled

thatguy7#AC

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

It's not a specific app. Don't waste your time.

gameaddict8

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

Seriously? How can you not feel misled or let down right now?

The EVO line is supposed to have some prestige to it. Saying you have latest and greatest Evo should be a name drop. At least that's how I felt when u got the phone. Now?... Is that the phone from that stupid let's play music on our phones because the actual phone part doesn't work for a damn ad?

So yeah, after buying a flagship phone and then having it run an old version of android and not even run it well, I'm feeling the slightest but misled

I don't like it, but I have been enjoying the newer jb apps like gmail, youtube and nova launcher skins. The phone has a lot of problems, but I am satisfied so far. JB will be a nice bonus

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

I don't like it, but I have been enjoying the newer jb apps like gmail, youtube and nova launcher skins. The phone has a lot of problems, but I am satisfied so far. JB will be a nice bonus

You have extremely low standards when you buy a phone like this and are "satisfied" with this many known issues and zero acknowledgement from the manufacturer or carrier

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site

It's not a specific app. Don't waste your time.

As opposed to just complaining about it? It isn't just the update either. If it were then everyone would have the issues. I don't have them, and this thread is full of people who also say they don't have the issues. So it's a combination of the update, an app (or apps) and some integration into the dialer or contacts. If anyone knew for sure there would have been a fix for it right out of the box, either by HTC or by the developers out there.

gameaddict8

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

You have extremely low standards when you buy a phone like this and are "satisfied" with this many known issues and zero acknowledgement from the manufacturer or carrier

You're right, my tolerance is higher than most people. All phones have problems though, even best sellers like the gs3 and ip5. The 4.04 update did fix problems, like the menu button & wallet.

Sprint EVO 4G LTE update brings fixes - and Sense 4.1 | Android Central

I would expect 4.1.1 to do the same.

carlsbadmike

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

I haven't listened to it yet, but apparently they mention our plight on the newest Android Central Podcast, which came out yesterday. Notes from it say:

Thing 3: Other odds and ends SwiftKey Flow now available ? we go finger-on Hot in the forums: The impending EVO 4G LTE update

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

This is off topic, but does anyone in here use chrome? I use the stock browser and really have no problem with it at all. I have heard great things about chrome, but haven't tried it out yet. I don't plan on syncing it with my computer, so is there any real advantage to using it?

Thanks in advance.

BigPuddin

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site

the evolte will get jb, it just takes longer since it's a carrier specific device. compared to the gnex & gs3 (which on on many networks)

No, I recognize that which is why I haven't tried in earnest to get a different model phone. When I was having the contacts related issues, I was ready to pay an ETF and get a Nexus 4. Now that they switched out my phone and Sprint's service improved a bit in Washington DC, I can play the waiting game.

But I don't think people should have their disappointment discounted just because no one ever said the Evo would get Jelly Bean. I think if Sprint were a little more forthcoming with information, people would probably be less annoyed. My suspicion is that there are some serious problems with the Evo that would require some refunds if Sprint or HTC told us what is going on (I base that on the LTE-issues documented by s4gru.com and that I definitely have on both my new Evo and the Evo I ordered on launch day, the contacts related issues, and the network connection issues). I could also just be jumping at shadows.

BigPuddin

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site

This is off topic, but does anyone in here use chrome? I use the stock browser and really have no problem with it at all. I have heard great things about chrome, but haven't tried it out yet. I don't plan on syncing it with my computer, so is there any real advantage to using it?

Thanks in advance.

I really like the syncing aspect. I'll look up a recipe on my laptop and then take my tablet into the kitchen and use that to cook from. Doing a research project on a school computer, coming home when it's time to write and just looking up what the source was instead of sending myself emails that clog up my inbox. Or bookmarking all my internet resources and having those bookmarks anywhere I go. The convenience is incredible for me, it's like I have the same computer no matter where I go. I also like the tabs and the speed of chrome.

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

Thank you very much for the reply. I think I am going to check it out. Someone mentioned that it will ask you if you want full or mobile page is available, and I think I like that as well rather than just choosing to always use one.

Now off topic question 2. I had a Google + account a while ago. I had it set to a private setting, yet if I typed my name in google it would show up with my google + account. Is there a way to have one, but to not have it show up at all in a search? If there is a way, I will create a new account. I am not a fan at all of Facebook and wasn't in love with Google +, but I am willing to give it another shot because it seems to have come a long way since it first came out.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

You're right, my tolerance is higher than most people. All phones have problems though, even best sellers like the gs3 and ip5. The 4.04 update did fix problems, like the menu button & wallet.

Sprint EVO 4G LTE update brings fixes - and Sense 4.1 | Android Central

I would expect 4.1.1 to do the same.

Wallet worked fine for me before the update. The update fixed ringers but left me with broken contacts, dialer, messaging, caller id... And was subsequently pulled for a reason. If 4.1.1. does the same I will run over this phone with my car. I'll give up ringers all together and my phone can play Justin beiber every time someone calls if everything else is functional.

My phone is worse than the day I bought it because of HTC. So this talk of every phone has issues and I have a high tolerance blah blah blah is crap as far as I'm concerned

gameaddict8

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

Wallet worked fine for me before the update. The update fixed ringers but left me with broken contacts, dialer, messaging, caller id... And was subsequently pulled for a reason. If 4.1.1. does the same I will run over this phone with my car. I'll give up ringers all together and my phone can play Justin beiber every time someone calls if everything else is functional.

My phone is worse than the day I bought it because of HTC. So this talk of every phone has issues and I have a high tolerance blah blah blah is crap as far as I'm concerned

We will see when the update hits.