Update coming to HTC EVO 4G LTE

zakphi

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Re: Update coming to HTC evo 4g lte

This is seriously my last HTC. I think I'm going to strictly buy whatever phone Google is advertising at the time. Those update freaking fast. Is the nexus 4 even on sprint?

Sent from Trey's EVO 4G LTE

let's say the next nexus device is from HTC. would you still not get it?

plus, it's not just HTC's fault here. it is also Sprint. neither company made an official statement about JB for the evo lte

ronmac120

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

I have rooted/unlocked the following phones with NO adverse issues at all -- VZW PPC 6800, VZW Touch Pro, Sprint Touch Pro 2, OG EVO and EVOLTE.

FWIW, you don't have to S-OFF you phone to run custom ROMs either. HTC Dev Unlock works perfectly fine now and most ROM cooks have gotten around issues with flashing custom kernels as well.

I would love to root my phone, but i am too afraid to f up my phone, don't have the money to be replacing, saw the pokemon rom, love it, don't think i can have it on this phone though, can anyone put me at ease about rooting? Can follow directions but not sure what ask the lingo is, ie; dalvik and other random words that are used! Lol

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site

Can someone explain GSM and what it would mean to buy one?
GSM is the cellular standard used by most of the planet. That includes AT&T as well as T-Mobile here. Sprint and Verizon both use CDMA, which is a licensed technology from Qualcomm. Actually, lots of carriers here in the U.S. use CDMA. The problem is that it takes time and effort to build drivers for Android to operate the proprietary radios on CDMA chipsets, whereas the vanilla versions of the Android OS are built with GSM in mind. So there is no secondary programming needed to get CDMA drivers working.

ncfanboy

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site

Gsm is the radio frequency that att and t-mobile use for there phones. Sprint and Verizon use CDMA you would have to change carriers to use the nexus 4.

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site

This is what I am being told, my source has no reason to make up reasons why it was pushed back. If you dont like my information, dont take it and ignore it. Like I said before, this is what I am being told and I am just relaying information. I joined this site a couple days ago just to give my inside information to put minds at ease cause I know what its like hitting the check for update button every 7 minutes and getting nothing.

What is your inside information that its not because of the iPhone activations? I explained that they were having problems with them activating on Sprint servers and they wanted these new activations to reflect on their anual report. We have EVOs that are half working and we are stuck in a contract, why wouldnt they take care of these new activation and upgrades first? Same goes for their issue with the GS3 being back ordered....
I don't think anyone disbelieves your inside info. We're just a little jaded here. Like when you say that once Sprint releases JB we will all forget everything and just be happy and doing backflips. Yeah. We won't. You should really read through these forums and you'll understand. We still talk about having our phones held up in Customs. We get mad at Sprint for that. Even though it wasn't their fault they certainly weren't forthcoming with updated information. The same is happening here. Most of us understand that HTC builds the device and the software, including these updates. Not Sprint. HTC pushes the updates from their servers. Not Sprint. But I pay my money to Sprint every month for the service, but also to be the intermediary between myself and HTC. They are doing a poor job of that.

Incidentally that's why people here, myself included, don't really buy the iPhone activation line of crap (I can't find much on that online anyway. No more than Verizon or AT&T have some activation issues. Nor can I find anything about the GS3 being back-ordered. I actually just called my local store and they have plenty in stock. Both colors.). Sprint's system activates devices. It keeps track of devices. It keeps track of usage. It provides data bandwidth and digital phone service, as well as A-GPS. It does lots of other things, too. What it doesn't do is push the updates to my device. HTC does that, once Sprint signs off on the software and how it plays with their network. And if I'm on WiFi Sprint doesn't even provide the bandwidth I use to download said software update. That's why I can always go to the HTC site and get it there, but I can't download it from the Sprint site. They don't have it. If there's an issue with Sense then that's fine. A little info from Sprint would be nice. A little update on the update. But I don't buy your claim of Sprint just sticking it to those of us on contract. They have spent sooooo much money getting their customer satisfaction numbers up over the last several years, and the advertising to tout it. They don't need a lot of churn because it looks bad to shareholders. They are concerned with "mad, existing, locked in customers". It's why people get free Airave's and big chunks of money taken off of their bill when they have voice and data problems. It's why people get a GS3 when they're fed up with their EVO.

The truth is that we here in the nerd herd are a small minority. We are loud, certainly. But we are a small percentage of users across all of these networks. So it takes us longer to get our collective voice heard than it would if all of the normal, uninteresting people began to complain en masse. I do hope your source is correct and we see it shortly. I have no reason to doubt it. I just think they may be blowing a little smoke about the reasons, as CS reps tend to do if they don't have a real answer. Anyone here who has called Sprint tech support knows how much they love to make up things so you feel better and to quiet you down for a little bit.

That's my dollar and 2 cents.

errbin

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site

I'm wondering how many people who have the EVO know about the jelly bean update.

my wife has the same EVO as I do and you could ask her about Jelly Bean and
to her it's candy

so I really doubt there's a large complain
on the delay of the update my phone works great zero issues contact works, ringers works, and wifi works

these issues were fixed (on our phones) on the last update

sent from a EVO that survived a Apple attack... thug life

admire816

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

I don't think anyone disbelieves your inside info. We're just a little jaded here. Like when you say that once Sprint releases JB we will all forget everything and just be happy and doing backflips. Yeah. We won't. You should really read through these forums and you'll understand. We still talk about having our phones held up in Customs. We get mad at Sprint for that. Even though it wasn't their fault they certainly weren't forthcoming with updated information. The same is happening here. Most of us understand that HTC builds the device and the software, including these updates. Not Sprint. HTC pushes the updates from their servers. Not Sprint. But I pay my money to Sprint every month for the service, but also to be the intermediary between myself and HTC. They are doing a poor job of that.

Incidentally that's why people here, myself included, don't really buy the iPhone activation line of crap (I can't find much on that online anyway. No more than Verizon or AT&T have some activation issues. Nor can I find anything about the GS3 being back-ordered. I actually just called my local store and they have plenty in stock. Both colors.). Sprint's system activates devices. It keeps track of devices. It keeps track of usage. It provides data bandwidth and digital phone service, as well as A-GPS. It does lots of other things, too. What it doesn't do is push the updates to my device. HTC does that, once Sprint signs off on the software and how it plays with their network. And if I'm on WiFi Sprint doesn't even provide the bandwidth I use to download said software update. That's why I can always go to the HTC site and get it there, but I can't download it from the Sprint site. They don't have it. If there's an issue with Sense then that's fine. A little info from Sprint would be nice. A little update on the update. But I don't buy your claim of Sprint just sticking it to those of us on contract. They have spent sooooo much money getting their customer satisfaction numbers up over the last several years, and the advertising to tout it. They don't need a lot of churn because it looks bad to shareholders. They are concerned with "mad, existing, locked in customers". It's why people get free Airave's and big chunks of money taken off of their bill when they have voice and data problems. It's why people get a GS3 when they're fed up with their EVO.

The truth is that we here in the nerd herd are a small minority. We are loud, certainly. But we are a small percentage of users across all of these networks. So it takes us longer to get our collective voice heard than it would if all of the normal, uninteresting people began to complain en masse. I do hope your source is correct and we see it shortly. I have no reason to doubt it. I just think they may be blowing a little smoke about the reasons, as CS reps tend to do if they don't have a real answer. Anyone here who has called Sprint tech support knows how much they love to make up things so you feel better and to quiet you down for a little bit.

That's my dollar and 2 cents.

As I said before, I am only sharing information that I am receiving from someone on the inside. Take it for what it is. I'm not saying this is the gospel truth, but a lot of other people on here have heard the same things from their people on the inside. You seem to think my information is wrong, you still havent told me what information you have or where it has came from. What are you bringing to the table to help figure out when this update will happen?

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site

As I said before, I am only sharing information that I am receiving from someone on the inside. Take it for what it is. I'm not saying this is the gospel truth, but a lot of other people on here have heard the same things from their people on the inside. You seem to think my information is wrong, you still havent told me what information you have or where it has came from. What are you bringing to the table to help figure out when this update will happen?
Yeah... you're not really comprehending my post. I'm sure it's because I was droning on and I apologize for that, so I'll make this a little more succinct. I don't doubt your source. I don't doubt the date you are giving. I don't believe it or disbelieve it. You believe it and that's great. I hope you are correct. I want you to be correct for all of our sake. But as far as I'm concerned it's nothing more than speculation unless we have some proof. I hope you can understand some simple skepticism on my part, as well as tons of others here. The OP had screen shots for Christ's sake and he was obviously wrong. Nobody is calling you a liar and I certainly don't have an inside source to tell me different. I was simply commenting on your previous post. You seem to be angry that anyone questions you and you are demanding their proof and their inside source, yet you have provided none of that yourself. And I am not asking you to. Once again, I am not doubting what you are saying. But only in regards to the date. Not regarding the reasons. Unless your inside source is a hardware or software engineer or works at the Sprint server farm. Or works for HTC. Because it doesn't make much sense from a technical perspective. That was the point of my post. Not the date but the reasons behind it. And it was meant for everyone here who thinks that Sprint is just not releasing the update for who knows what reasons.

Last edited:

bpdamas

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site

gpdaddy95

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

I have enjoyed this thread immensely. Whether off-topic or on, it's been a pleasure to follow the discourse. Regardless of whether we get the update, I need to thank everyone for keeping this thread alive and hopping. Here's to December 2!

TEEMILL

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

With the lag in updates sprint and HTC has provided us this maybe my last HTC phone how could they consider this phone to be there flagship device and let everyone of their competitors get updates before they do you could literally go to the store right now and buy a brand new Galaxy s3 already stocked with jelly bean this is a joke

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Yeah... you're not really comprehending my post. I'm sure it's because I was droning on and I apologize for that, so I'll make this a little more succinct.

That was succinct? :p

I think it's safe to say the people who know for sure whether this update is coming, and whether it was delayed and why, are not posting here. People come up with all kinds of speculations, some based on an "Inside source", some from "HTC reps", some from asking customer care reps, and some from reading tea leaves.

Personally I think it's fun reading all of them because, when it comes right down to it, it will come when it comes. Forums are notoriously inaccurate. Wait until you see it in again article on a website where the source is a Sprint press release, that is the only way to know for sure it is coming.

smkyle

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

HTC released the source code for the droid dna today. How long has that phone been out? Very positive sign. Also, the overwhelming popularity of the Nexus 4 is a clear signal to the rest of the industry that people will take quick updates and transparency over skins. At least that's how I interpret it.

Does anyone know if an unbranded CDMA Nexus is a possibility?

thepowerofdonuts

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

HTC released the source code for the droid dna today. How long has that phone been out? Very positive sign. Also, the overwhelming popularity of the Nexus 4 is a clear signal to the rest of the industry that people will take quick updates and transparency over skins. At least that's how I interpret it.

Does anyone know if an unbranded CDMA Nexus is a possibility?

It's a possibility, but not a likely one. Sprint and Verizon have this irrational infatuation with exclusives, when they should advertise what makes their networks different and make it easier for OEM's by letting them make a phone that will work with both Verizon and Sprint. It'll be cheaper that way. Everyone wins.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie