Update coming to HTC EVO 4G LTE

mstrblueskys

Q&A Team
Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: Update coming to HTC evo 4g lte

I'm going to let best buy have it tomorrow if my phone isn't working by then. And I plan on running cm10 very soon and I'm excited about it.

But what got me started is someone who doesn't even know what's going on with the phone chiming in on page 70 whatever on the thread and telling people to take it easy on sprint and htc. Do your homework before you assume you know what's going on and write an essay on it. It's insulting to people who have been around since day 1 and dealing with this.

Hey man, I've been here since page one, and we haven't dealt with anything - literally. If you aren't happy with Sense 4.0 there are other options.

My contacts didn't work so I flashed a rom - easy fix for now. I feel like a broken record, but if it weren't for the leak, we wouldn't be here having this sometimes outrageous discussion. The reason this thread exists is because there was a chance we may have gotten a date - and it was wrong. It happens when you try to predict based on rumors. It's a lot like people believing the world is going to end on 12-21-12. Yes, there's a chance it could happen, but since some omnipotent deity hasn't directly told me to expect it, I probably won't hug my entire family goodbye that afternoon. Remember, neither Sprint nor HTC announced anything officially about the update. The words we got were from employees who most people on these forums berate for their general lack of knowledge regarding almost every aspect of the companies they work for. I think it's funny that you've been here from page one and haven't taken any actions to fix what you don't like.

To be honest, I'm glad they are taking their time in releasing this update. I would rather have a phone that works wonders without me having to think twice about anything than having the latest OS but having to restart the phone to hang up a call or wait 4 minutes to load contacts for my MMS. Also, you don't know what other goodies they have baked into this version of Sense 4+ for Sprint. Who knows, maybe we'll be the lucky ones who get 4.2 first. That wouldn't be too big of a stretch.

All I'm trying to say is it feels like we are taking these screen shots and rumors as eScripture rather than a glint of hope that there is a gift sometime soon. We're taking what should be joyous anticipation and turning it into blame-filled expectation!

Kizzmocat

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site

Hey man, I've been here since page one, and we haven't dealt with anything - literally. If you aren't happy with Sense 4.0 there are other options.

My contacts didn't work so I flashed a rom - easy fix for now. I feel like a broken record, but if it weren't for the leak, we wouldn't be here having this sometimes outrageous discussion. The reason this thread exists is because there was a chance we may have gotten a date - and it was wrong. It happens when you try to predict based on rumors. It's a lot like people believing the world is going to end on 12-21-12. Yes, there's a chance it could happen, but since some omnipotent deity hasn't directly told me to expect it, I probably won't hug my entire family goodbye that afternoon. Remember, neither Sprint nor HTC announced anything officially about the update. The words we got were from employees who most people on these forums berate for their general lack of knowledge regarding almost every aspect of the companies they work for. I think it's funny that you've been here from page one and haven't taken any actions to fix what you don't like.

To be honest, I'm glad they are taking their time in releasing this update. I would rather have a phone that works wonders without me having to think twice about anything than having the latest OS but having to restart the phone to hang up a call or wait 4 minutes to load contacts for my MMS. Also, you don't know what other goodies they have baked into this version of Sense 4+ for Sprint. Who knows, maybe we'll be the lucky ones who get 4.2 first. That wouldn't be too big of a stretch.

All I'm trying to say is it feels like we are taking these screen shots and rumors as eScripture rather than a glint of hope that there is a gift sometime soon. We're taking what should be joyous anticipation and turning it into blame-filled expectation!

Please sir, for the love of this thread, could you refrain from posting anything that makes complete sense! Thank you, and good day

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

PittsPgh

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

Has anyone used any newer sense based roms? Are there any that utilize Google Now. I flashed viper rom and mean rom back in September and really didn't think either was too much better than stock Sense. Wondering if maybe that had changed at all.

I'm using Stock with Goodies from Flex360. It has Google now. I have no problems with it. Everything works. It's smooth. No multitasking problems.
I know I'm at least one update behind. Haven't checked in almost a week.

Paul

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

I tried cm10. And although I'm a big fan of cm I don't like it on this phone.

The stable build works very well. Something is just off to me.

The only stuff I want from jelly bean is google now sorta. And voice to text without internet. Other than that. Theres really not much going on.

I could wait an update and bypass it to get the latest android. Lock screen widgets are more appealing. And more useful than home screen widgets.

mstrblueskys

Q&A Team
Dec 21, 2011
Visit site

I tried cm10. And although I'm a big fan of cm I don't like it on this phone.

The stable build works very well. Something is just off to me.

The only stuff I want from jelly bean is google now sorta

I felt the same. You should try MeanRom. I Ann getting way better battery life, you still have sense with the great camera, and you get Google now!

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

I feel like a broken record, but if it weren't for the leak, we wouldn't be here having this sometimes outrageous discussion. The reason this thread exists is because there was a chance we may have gotten a date - and it was wrong.

The broken record reply to this is yes this thread started because of a leak for a jb update but has turned into so much more. Probably the biggest reason this thread has gotten so popular is because apparently a lot of alcoholics buy evos :) And another large reason is because many of us are waiting for a fix of any kind jb or not from htc. There are many smaller threads on all of the evo issues and yes we would still be having this outrageous discussion.

I think it's funny that you've been here from page one and haven't taken any actions to fix what you don't like.

I have and will continue to do so. But even if I flash a new rom and like it more than sense and have no plans of ever returning to sense doesn't change the fact that sprint/htc took (and is still taking) my/our money and then crippled our phones (and not the funny timmy and jimmy kind of crippled). When people post their love affairs for sprint on here and tell me I should love them too I'm still going to say the same thing.

To be honest, I'm glad they are taking their time in releasing this update. I would rather have a phone that works wonders without me having to think twice about anything than having the latest OS but having to restart the phone to hang up a call or wait 4 minutes to load contacts for my MMS

And broken record again here... this isn't about them taking their time with the jb update, it's about them taking their time with a fix. When a software update breaks your phone and then you don't have any fix or acknowledgement for months after I don't think anybody who's been dealing with these issues is happy they are taking their time.

My expectation is not that we should have had jb in November. You are totally missing the point here and if you look at my posts you will see that I've been consistent with this (and you'll see a lot of sarcasm). My expectation is that we would have had a fix for all of these known and common issues back sometime around October.

My anger on this issue stems from HTC's lack of support for problems they caused, and people who don't have issues, or who already planned on flashing a new rom so they haven't really dealt with the issue not having any clue what they are talking about and telling me I should be happy HTC is delaying any updates

BroadcastJunkie

May 17, 2011
Visit site

OMG, its here... I never thought this day would come...... its 12-12-12

wait, you didn't think i meant the update... haha that things never coming. im getting jb on the 3D before this phone gets it

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site

The broken record reply to this is yes this thread started because of a leak for a jb update but has turned into so much more. Probably the biggest reason this thread has gotten so popular is because apparently a lot of alcoholics buy evos :) And another large reason is because many of us are waiting for a fix of any kind jb or not from htc. There are many smaller threads on all of the evo issues and yes we would still be having this outrageous discussion.

I have and will continue to do so. But even if I flash a new rom and like it more than sense and have no plans of ever returning to sense doesn't change the fact that sprint/htc took (and is still taking) my/our money and then crippled our phones (and not the funny timmy and jimmy kind of crippled). When people post their love affairs for sprint on here and tell me I should love them too I'm still going to say the same thing.

And broken record again here... this isn't about them taking their time with the jb update, it's about them taking their time with a fix. When a software update breaks your phone and then you don't have any fix or acknowledgement for months after I don't think anybody who's been dealing with these issues is happy they are taking their time.

My expectation is not that we should have had jb in November. You are totally missing the point here and if you look at my posts you will see that I've been consistent with this (and you'll see a lot of sarcasm). My expectation is that we would have had a fix for all of these known and common issues back sometime around October.

My anger on this issue stems from HTC's lack of support for problems they caused, and people who don't have issues, or who already planned on flashing a new rom so they haven't really dealt with the issue not having any clue what they are talking about and telling me I should be happy HTC is delaying any updates

I assume getting a different device is out of the question? That sounds like a better solution than waiting in agony while using a device that sounds like isn't working for you. I personally experience no issues that slight my everyday use of this phone.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

I assume getting a different device is out of the question? That sounds like a better solution than waiting in agony while using a device that sounds like isn't working for you. I personally experience no issues that slight my everyday use of this phone.

I'm headed back to Best Buy in a few minutes to get another new phone. I got my refurbed one back yesterday and it still can't make any calls, so it is just a bum phone and isn't related to any of the other contact or update issues. Once I get a good evo I'll most likely just root and run cm10.

At the end of the day I'll find something that works for me, I'll still be angry with HTC and less likely to choose them in the future but right now I'm working with the store to get immediate issues fixed

secretmethod70

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site

I'm somewhat patient for Jelly Bean. It's true that the only reason this thread exists is because of rumors, so it's unfair to blame Sprint or HTC for missing release dates that they never announced. That said, like others, I am getting impatient regarding the existing software issues with this phone. My guess is that HTC did not think there would be such a delay in getting Jelly Bean out, so they didn't think it was necessary to work on a separate update to fix current software bugs. I do understand why they might have made that decision, but it doesn't change my frustration of having to live with these issues.

As someone who has not experienced the issues others are having, it makes sense for kronosqq to assume that the reported issues likely have something to do with app usage. As someone who has dealt with these issues, I can state without question that they are not rooted in app usage. It's possible that certain app usage makes the problems worse, but all of the speculation I've seen along those lines pertains to app usage that should be considered basic, such as syncing Facebook contacts. (Yes, that's basic usage when Facebook is pre-loaded on the phone.)

I've owned four different EVO LTE's (due to returns unrelated to the contact issues - 2 were fried by a faulty charger, the third had a constellation of stuck pixels). All four of them had contact issues from the very beginning. Before the most recent update, I experienced contact issues that were seemingly very rare: many Google contacts which were synced and in the People app would be shown as phone numbers in the Messages and Phone apps. In the Messages app, if I tapped the avatar of a contact who was being shown as a phone number (and with a blank avatar, btw), the pop up window would nonetheless be the correct contact info, with name, picture, and everything. In the Phone app, I was unable to use the smart dial feature because dialing a name would not work when the phone numbers were not being tied to their contact name. Even dialing 123-555-5555 would not display call history entries made to 1-123-555-5555. Having gone through four phones and numerous factory resets, I took many opportunities to try and use the phone without doing anything more than the most basic setup, only connecting my Google account, not installing additional apps, etc. The phone would always eventually have these issues. My girlfriend, who also has an EVO LTE, never experienced these issues. I assume there's something about how the contacts are saved in my Google account, but my EVO 4G didn't have an issue with my contacts and my four EVO LTEs were inconsistent about which contacts would and would not have problems.

Since the most recent update, that immensely frustrating issue has disappeared. In its place, the Phone and Messages apps are incredibly sluggish from time to time instead. Thing is, while most people blame the most recent update for creating these other issues, in my experience all it did was make them worse. That's right, in addition to the contact issues I described above, I was also already experiencing the long loading times and call lag. Now I can use smart dial... I just might have to wait a few minutes before the call is actually placed. Likewise, I can see the names and pictures of all my contacts in the Messages app, but if I want to open a thread it might take 5 minutes before I can actually read it. I've again tried factory resets and limited setup, but the issues are still there. Additionally, my girlfriend's EVO LTE - the one that didn't have the contact issues before - now experiences the same frustrating lag. She, too, has tried factory resetting her phone and installing only the most basic apps.

Some people seem to argue that it's our own fault if these issues are frustrating us and we don't flash a different ROM to fix them. That's ridiculous. We should not have to root our phones and flash a custom ROM - voiding our warranty - in order to have a usable product. I'm glad others have chosen to take the time to do that and avoid these issues, but people have every right to be unwilling to do the same and to complain about the bugs plaguing this phone's software.

In short: I'm not too upset that we don't have Jelly Bean yet (though I do expect to get it by mid-Jan at the latest - 7 months should be plenty of time). What upsets me is that there are serious software issues with this otherwise fantastic phone, and HTC and/or Sprint seem to be in no hurry to fix them. We should absolutely remember that a date was never announced, and we should therefore not be frustrated that the update is X weeks late, but it is entirely reasonable to be frustrated that there has not yet been an update to address the existing issues. That is where I think much of the additional anxiousness in this thread comes from.

The sad thing is, I strongly prefer HTC over other manufacturers and I want them to succeed. Likewise, I prefer Sprint over other carriers as the best value for a network that is good enough for me (now that most of the Chicago area has been upgraded, network performance has been much improved). For the first time, though, I'm finding myself considering other options for the next time I upgrade. Between HTC's poor handling of this phone, stock Android's steady improvement, LG's Nexus 4 proving that they can make a great device, and T-Mobile's upcoming pricing changes, the HTC/Sprint combo that I've stuck with since I started using Android is not looking quite as attractive to me. I've got another year and a half on contract, though, and I hope my trust can be restored in that time.

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site

I've gotta say that this thread continues to be my new General Hospital.

But I asked, dozens of pages ago, about people who have these issues getting replacement phones. One person, ONE, responded and said they had gotten a replacement and were no longer having issues. My point was that if you have a problem, don't wait around for 3 months. Yes, it's been 3 months since that screwy update. Be proactive. Take it to a service center. Call tech support and get it documented a few times. Then you get a replacement device. It isn't that difficult. Once you get the replacement you can verify that it doesn't have the newest, and defective, software, because it shouldn't. If it does you're within your rights to refuse it and demand another. You'll get it, or at some point get a GS3 or a Photon Q or whatever, and then deal with the different issues those devices have.

Has HTC done us dirty? Absolutely. They're taking too long to get a fix out. My guess? They figure few people got the update because they pulled it real quick, so they will incorporate the fix into the update they're completing for JB. When you have a finite amount of people to program you prioritize, whether we agree with their priorities or not. What they should have done, minimally, is to re-push the prior OTA, to correct the lag issues' and people would have a less bitter pill to swallow during this protracted wait for JB. They didn't do that. But people who have the lag could have done that themselves by getting a replacement device that isn't loaded with the bad ROM. If you had a blown speaker or a bad 3G radio would you wait for someone to swing by your house and replace the device? No, you'd take it in. Was it your fault it failed? No, but you have to be a little bit proactive. The same thing applies here. Please understand that I am not telling people to "root or shut up". I hate that and believe it to be a completely invalid argument. You buy a device and there's an expectation of performance. If you want more, then root. But if you just want what was advertised, you should get that without rooting.

I'd be curious to know what software version everyone is running, regardless of the contact lag. I'm on 2.13.651.1 710RD. I know BigPuddin got a replacement device within the last couple of weeks so I'm curious what he's running.

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site

... Since the most recent update, that immensely frustrating issue has disappeared. In its place, the Phone and Messages apps are incredibly sluggish from time to time instead. Thing is, while most people blame the most recent update for creating these other issues, in my experience all it did was make them worse. That's right, in addition to the contact issues I described above, I was also already experiencing the long loading times and call lag. Now I can use smart dial... I just might have to wait a few minutes before the call is actually placed. Likewise, I can see the names and pictures of all my contacts in the Messages app, but if I want to open a thread it might take 5 minutes before I can actually read it. I've again tried factory resets and limited setup, but the issues are still there. Additionally, my girlfriend's EVO LTE - the one that didn't have the contact issues before - now experiences the same frustrating lag. She, too, has tried factory resetting her phone and installing only the most basic apps.

I totally agree. I say that I don't have the issues others are having with the contacts and messaging, etc. In reality I have always had a delay of a few seconds or more loading those things up. I attribute it to the silly way HTC deals with multitasking and memory management, because if I go to the home screen and then enter the application (people or messaging) it takes a few seconds. If I long press the menu button and open the app from the recent apps screen I have no lag. Ever. But again, my lag has only been a few seconds. I have never had to wait for a minute or two. Or five. I know that lots of people have since the last update and I think I could handle that for about 2 days.

Andras

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site

I've wondered what was actually done to people's phones to give them issues after the update. It can't be that the coding was completely wrong from the start or else why would some people not be having issues. I got my phone at launch and have taken all the updates we've gotten and my phone has worked better and better with each update(save for the personalized ringtone thing but I don't use that anyway). I know I disabled a lot of apps as soon as I got the phone.....so could the issue by with some stock app and the updates. It seems that no one has been able to find where the glitch is. The only known fix is....go get more phones until it stops.

BigPuddin

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site

I recently got a replacement phone and did not reload all the apps I had and no longer have the problem. I loaded a bunch, but nowhere near all of them. Around Christmas I may load some of the old ones back on to see if that's where the problem lays.

vbockius

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site

I've wondered what was actually done to people's phones to give them issues after the update. It can't be that the coding was completely wrong from the start or else why would some people not be having issues. I got my phone at launch and have taken all the updates we've gotten and my phone has worked better and better with each update(save for the personalized ringtone thing but I don't use that anyway). I know I disabled a lot of apps as soon as I got the phone.....so could the issue by with some stock app and the updates. It seems that no one has been able to find where the glitch is. The only known fix is....go get more phones until it stops.

I've wondered this too...I'm in same boat as you...no issues...thinking it's probably not a stock app, they would have caught glitch in testing....got to be a non-stock app..

Unless it was an update to a stock app that came out after HTC software update...G+ app has been through lot's of updates lately and could mess with contacts...

Last edited:

vbockius

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site

I recently got a replacement phone and did not reload all the apps I had and no longer have the problem. I loaded a bunch, but nowhere near all of them. Around Christmas I may load some of the old ones back on to see if that's where the problem lays.

It's gotta be Facebook.....they are the Root of all Evil....:)

BigPuddin

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site

It's gotta be Facebook.....they are the Root of all Evil....:)

I've never been a member of Facebook, so it can't be that. Unless it's app's mere presence on my previous Evo ruined it. Which is not a possibility I'm discounting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith