Update coming to HTC EVO 4G LTE

Andras

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: Update coming to HTC evo 4g lte

It's gotta be Facebook.....they are the Root of all Evil....:)

Lol....that was one of the first apps I disabled. I noticed that even though I had denied the app ALL location services....every time I opened it the app pinged my gps.

vbockius

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site

I've never been a member of Facebook, so it can't be that. Unless it's app's mere presence on my previous Evo ruined it. Which is not a possibility I'm discounting.

I never have been either, but I have updated the app just so it goes away from my update list...so probably not the issue...have noticed though sometimes contacts have pics I assigned and sometimes have G+ profile photos, so maybe something with G+?

I've not had any lag or problems but I've noticed my sisters contact pic switch back and forth...

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

Just a tip to everyone, if you go to best buy in the middle of the day you will have to wait behind old people getting iphones....

Anyways the refurb they gave me was a dud, got the loner back and waiting on the next evo

For the sake of troubleshooting I've never had a facebook account or g+ account with this phone, just google. And I don't install a lot of apps and the ones I do install are very common ones off of the play store (netflix, imdb, iheartradio...). I had no issues with the phone before the last update and they started with the update.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

I've gotta say that this thread continues to be my new General Hospital.

But I asked, dozens of pages ago, about people who have these issues getting replacement phones. One person, ONE, responded and said they had gotten a replacement and were no longer having issues. My point was that if you have a problem, don't wait around for 3 months. Yes, it's been 3 months since that screwy update. Be proactive. Take it to a service center. Call tech support and get it documented a few times. Then you get a replacement device. It isn't that difficult. Once you get the replacement you can verify that it doesn't have the newest, and defective, software, because it shouldn't. If it does you're within your rights to refuse it and demand another. You'll get it, or at some point get a GS3 or a Photon Q or whatever, and then deal with the different issues those devices have.

Has HTC done us dirty? Absolutely. They're taking too long to get a fix out. My guess? They figure few people got the update because they pulled it real quick, so they will incorporate the fix into the update they're completing for JB. When you have a finite amount of people to program you prioritize, whether we agree with their priorities or not. What they should have done, minimally, is to re-push the prior OTA, to correct the lag issues' and people would have a less bitter pill to swallow during this protracted wait for JB. They didn't do that. But people who have the lag could have done that themselves by getting a replacement device that isn't loaded with the bad ROM. If you had a blown speaker or a bad 3G radio would you wait for someone to swing by your house and replace the device? No, you'd take it in. Was it your fault it failed? No, but you have to be a little bit proactive. The same thing applies here. Please understand that I am not telling people to "root or shut up". I hate that and believe it to be a completely invalid argument. You buy a device and there's an expectation of performance. If you want more, then root. But if you just want what was advertised, you should get that without rooting.

I'd be curious to know what software version everyone is running, regardless of the contact lag. I'm on 2.13.651.1 710RD. I know BigPuddin got a replacement device within the last couple of weeks so I'm curious what he's running.

I totally agree. I say that I don't have the issues others are having with the contacts and messaging, etc. In reality I have always had a delay of a few seconds or more loading those things up. I attribute it to the silly way HTC deals with multitasking and memory management, because if I go to the home screen and then enter the application (people or messaging) it takes a few seconds. If I long press the menu button and open the app from the recent apps screen I have no lag. Ever. But again, my lag has only been a few seconds. I have never had to wait for a minute or two. Or five. I know that lots of people have since the last update and I think I could handle that for about 2 days.

Thanks for the rational response here, I'll get behind that. Like I said before I've got another evo on the way so I'll try to remember to post the software version when I get it (assuming this one isn't a dud out of the box). It's sad that this is still an issue after 3 months...

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the rational response here, I'll get behind that. Like I said before I've got another evo on the way so I'll try to remember to post the software version when I get it (assuming this one isn't a dud out of the box). It's sad that this is still an issue after 3 months...
You're right on that front. Three months is ridiculous, especially when their OTA caused it. That's why I always thought, at a minimum, they should have pushed a new OTA that just rehashed the one before. It isn't possible too go back on your own, unless you root. As far as I know there isn't, I should say.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

New question, my loner phone is a kyocera slider, on a side note I've always been impressed with the HTC build quality and this phone makes me appreciate it that much more. My question is I'm pretty sure this phone is running stock android or something very minimally skinned. Anybody know what kyocera does? For what it's worth it's running android 4.0.4

This phone is giving me a chance to try out android without sense before I decide to root or not and nothing against sense but it's making me more sure I want to run cm10 on the evo

smkyle

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

I was offered an S3 in exchange for my EVO LTE. I asked for an Optimus G instead and they said no. My only issue is with the EVO antenna. I'm in the process of figuring out how to flash PRL 56009 so I can hop on Verizon when sprint is disappointing. I don't like the S3 but at least I don't feel stuck. I'm running MeanRom 6.5 and it's great. Ultimately I'm waiting on a sense JB rom but I'm desperate to find out if they fixed the antenna with the update that's coming on January 3rd

Typed with Swiftkey flow beta

BroadcastJunkie

May 17, 2011
Visit site

You're right on that front. Three months is ridiculous, especially when their OTA caused it. That's why I always thought, at a minimum, they should have pushed a new OTA that just rehashed the one before. It isn't possible too go back on your own, unless you root. As far as I know there isn't, I should say.

Exactly, its like bad enough they screwed it. I don't have the option to go back. I can uninstall the updates to the stock apps, but not go back software version. kind of lame, having to root to fix problems with the stock sense is uncalled for. now if didn't like sense and want CM on all the phones that's a different story.

gameaddict8

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

I was offered an S3 in exchange for my EVO LTE. I asked for an Optimus G instead and they said no. My only issue is with the EVO antenna. I'm in the process of figuring out how to flash PRL 56009 so I can hop on Verizon when sprint is disappointing. I don't like the S3 but at least I don't feel stuck. I'm running MeanRom 6.5 and it's great. Ultimately I'm waiting on a sense JB rom but I'm desperate to find out if they fixed the antenna with the update that's coming on January 3rd

If you can get an optimus g, I wouldn't blame you.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

"Is this the line for apps?"
:)

In the spirit of full disclosure I had an iphone for years but now I would never go back. I don't feel like I qualified as an "isheep" because I knew what I was buying. That being said....I want the one with more gb's!!!

And after spending way too much time at best buy this week I feel sorry for the geek squad people, some people definitely just shouldn't have computers

dskwerl

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site

And after spending way too much time at best buy this week I feel sorry for the geek squad people, some people definitely just shouldn't have computers

As a computer tech, I can tell you there is way more truth to that than you could imagine.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site

I've gotta say that this thread continues to be my new General Hospital.

But I asked, dozens of pages ago, about people who have these issues getting replacement phones. One person, ONE, responded and said they had gotten a replacement and were no longer having issues. My point was that if you have a problem, don't wait around for 3 months. Yes, it's been 3 months since that screwy update. Be proactive. Take it to a service center. Call tech support and get it documented a few times. Then you get a replacement device. It isn't that difficult. Once you get the replacement you can verify that it doesn't have the newest, and defective, software, because it shouldn't. If it does you're within your rights to refuse it and demand another. You'll get it, or at some point get a GS3 or a Photon Q or whatever, and then deal with the different issues those devices have.

This has been covered in other threads, but I've had three different units and all exhibited the problem. Facebook or no Facebook, minimal apps, no account synching whatsoever. The problem eventually pops up in any configuration.

Could it be a combination of apps? Possibly, but it is impossible to troubleshoot the near infinite combinations of the 130+ apps on my phone. Couple that with the fact the phone was done for months on that combination until the update came and broke it, its HTC's fault.

As far as complaining to sprint to try and strong arm then into giving me a different device altogether, that isn't fair because it's not their fault. Plus, of I wanted a different device I would have bought one. I just want HTC to put my phone back on its working state like it was. Is that so much to ask?

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site

Exactly, its like bad enough they screwed it. I don't have the option to go back. I can uninstall the updates to the stock apps, but not go back software version. kind of lame, having to root to fix problems with the stock sense is uncalled for. now if didn't like sense and want CM on all the phones that's a different story.
That goes back to my point from earlier this morning: you can't uninstall the OTA yourself unless you're rooted. The caveat to that, however, is that you can get a replacement device that does not have that update installed. The software image that is copied onto all of these phones, new or refurbished, is the latest and greatest that HTC has. If they pushed an update that they subsequently pulled back I wouldn't consider that update to be a component of the "latest and greatest" software image that is going to be installed on the device. So if that's the case, and I believe it is, a replacement device will not have the defective software installed. So I just wider why don't people get their devices replaced? It would be different if HTC hadn't pulled the update, essentially admitting it was fubar, because then they would just continue to install it on every device coming out of the factory, bugs and all.

Mtnpilot

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site

I have noticed that this phone seems to get a lot less reception than my old original evo did while traveling in the same area. I do a lot of traveling in some areas that Sprint does not cover very well. After I got my Evo LTE, I noticed that I could not make calls in places that I was able to do so with my original old wimax Evo (yes, I keep my PRL updated). I don't know if this would be something that a software update could fix, or not. I would tend to think not.
I was wondering the last few days if this phone could be configured to work with verizon and would be interested if there is anything anybody knows about this.

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site

Every Who down in Whoville liked Christmas a lot, but the Grinch(HTC), who lived just north of Whoville - did not. The Grinch hated Who's updates - the whole updates season. Now, please don't ask why; no one quite knows the reason.
ha7emyva.jpg

from my Evo 4G LTE using Tapatalk2

smkyle

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

I have noticed that this phone seems to get a lot less reception than my old original evo did while traveling in the same area. I do a lot of traveling in some areas that Sprint does not cover very well. After I got my Evo LTE, I noticed that I could not make calls in places that I was able to do so with my original old wimax Evo (yes, I keep my PRL updated). I don't know if this would be something that a software update could fix, or not. I would tend to think not.
I was wondering the last few days if this phone could be configured to work with verizon and would be interested if there is anything anybody knows about this.

Yes and no. You can't get verizon lte but you can get 3G and CDMA.

As far as a software update helping with reception, if the hardware is bad, then highly doubtful. If the update doesn't help I might try and exchange EVOs. But they nerfed the hboot and there are people with new ones who have problems that I don't have. Le sigh

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci