HTC Evo LTE Camera will not focus?

still83fifty

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
So I bought a used Evo LTE a few weeks ago.. I finally found one that was basically brand new. Still, I went through every inch of it making sure it didn't have any issues. It didn't have any, so I thought... That night though when I was playing with it, I realized the camera wasn't focusing at all. When you tap it to focus it makes the sound that is supposed to tell you it is focusing, but it doesn't focus.

Things I've tried:
I did do a ##786# reset as soon as I got the phone, and again after I realized the problem. Also, I have set the camera to default settings. I have also downloaded every single one of the aftermarket camera apps, testing the focus on each of them, nothing seems to get it to focus. This is only a issue when I try to focus on close up type of pictures, like text on a computer screen or anything within about five inches from the camera, (otherwise the camera works great). I did notice after looking at the camera itself that there is some kind of shiny paper thin material that after popping the back sd card cover off, and examining it closer, seems to be some sort of spacer between two plastic parts of the camera assembly. It has slipped out of position, but it is not far enough out of position as to block the view at all, but its there. I wondered if maybe this was the problem or just coincidence.

My question is..Isn't the focus completely digitally controlled? There are no moving parts that make it focus, right? I wondered if there were, and maybe this out of place spacer is preventing it from moving? Do you think a update to the software might fix this? If there are no moving parts, it has to be software , right? I have searched the forums and web high and low, but can't seem to find any answers regarding the above.

Last edited:

ollieg

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
I've only had focus problems twice in the 6 months I've had this phone. Both times a foreign substance was on the lens.

The first was caused by being downwind of a child blowing bubbles. That little bit on invisible gunk made all the difference.

Do you wear glasses? I removed the back cover, used the non-scratching fabric for my glasses to clean the camera lens and the problem was gone.

still83fifty

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply btw...You know, after doing some more rereading of the few threads on this subject, it appears that the lens does move a back and for to focus...and like you said, something very small can mess up the focus..the piece of material(whatever it is) is more than very small..I'm thinking that it is the culprit, I tried to grab the material that is visible in between the two piece of hardware with some very small and sharp tweezers, but it was impossible. I'm also afraid that if I move it any more it will block the view of the camera, which thankfully it doesn't right now. Guess I'll just have to deal with it.

David Wetterhahn

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I've read a few complaints on the HTC evo 4g lte camera but what is the solution. Do I bring it to sprint and have them look at it. Mine is blurry when I zoom in taking pics and it has that annoying non focusing issue as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20