EVO LTE and WIFI Hotspot other than Sprint

ginglish

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I have a Sprint data everything plan I share with the wife. I do not have a Sprint Hotspot Data plan.
Anyone know of another options to setup the EVO LTE as a WIFI Hotspot other than the Sprint Hotspot app?

I have ocassional need to provide WIFI to another device when away from home base.
But I can not justify paying the extra $20 a month for a Hotspot Data plan for the little amount of time I would use it.

calvinserrano

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
FoxFi doesn't work with the regular HTC software. If you root, there is a mod somewhere on xda-dev that you can flash that allows wi-fi hotspots to be used that is not the sprint app. I know its a pain in the butt to pay 20 bucks a month. (I used FoxFi when I rooted, and I used up 7gb of data in one day)

cuffs50

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Best to download from the amazon app store. They still had the older version of Foxfi which was completely free. The newest version released on the Foxfi website only allows 30 minutes of use a day unless you get the paid version.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

axllebeer

Trusted Member
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
FoxFi works fine on the EVO 4G LTE. I'm using it right now to type this on a Chromebook (which is awesome btw!).

Same here. Never had any issues with it at all. Granted I only use it a few times a week for lite web serving and such, but it does indeed work on the Evo LTE. Can't speak for other HTC devices as I've never owned another.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Same here. Never had any issues with it at all. Granted I only use it a few times a week for lite web serving and such, but it does indeed work on the Evo LTE.

At least it will work for another few days, until the 4.1 update disables it :(

(Corrected 4.2 to 4.1, above)

Last edited:

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
At least it will work for another few days, until the 4.1 update disables it :(

I will qualify my previous posting to say I believe it will stop working based on what other posts I read and the info on Foxfi's own site. I have no confirmation of the above nor special knowledge.

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I will qualify my previous posting to say I believe it will stop working based on what other posts I read and the info on Foxfi's own site. I have no confirmation of the above nor special knowledge.
Yeah, we'll see if it works. For those who only tether rarely, and don't need much data, check out FreedomPop. Pay a 100 dolllar security deposit, and they send you a wireless hotspot and 500 mb per month data on sprints wimax network. Decide it's not for you, and send the hotspot back in good condition, and you get your money back. No monthly fee either.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, we'll see if it works. For those who only tether rarely, and don't need much data, check out FreedomPop. Pay a 100 dolllar security deposit, and they send you a wireless hotspot and 500 mb per month data on sprints wimax network. Decide it's not for you, and send the hotspot back in good condition, and you get your money back. No monthly fee either.

Not a practical option here. But not only do we have a severely overloaded 3G network, and no LTE network, there never was nor will be WiMax here. Besides, it would mean carrying around yet another device all the time in the rare event it might be needed. I really do hope something like FoxFi will continue to be an option for those who never abuse it.

Here are my data usage stats for the year so you see what I mean:

Oct 76MB
Sep 58MB
Aug 28MB
Jul 122MB
Jun 37MB
May 69MB
Apr 34MB
Mar 24MB
Feb 23MB
Jan 9MB

An average of 48MB/mo. And 95% of that data was from the phone only. How 2 to 3MB in a month could ever fit with Sprint's notion of $20 for tethering, when I already pay $90 every month, I just don't know. Unfortunately, for every one of me, there are probably 100 who can and do use unallowed tethering to consume hundreds hundreds of megabytes, even gigabytes, every month.

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Not a practical option here. But not only do we have a severely overloaded 3G network, and no LTE network, there never was nor will be WiMax here. Besides, it would mean carrying around yet another device all the time in the rare event it might be needed. I really do hope something like FoxFi will continue to be an option for those who never abuse it.

Oct 76MB
Sep 58MB
Aug 28MB
Jul 122MB
Jun 37MB
May 69MB
Apr 34MB
Mar 24MB
Feb 23MB
Jan 9MB

An average of 48MB/mo. And 95% of that data was from the phone only. How 2 to 3MB in a month could ever fit with Sprint's notion of $20 for tethering, when I already pay $90 every month, I just don't know. Unfortunately, for every one of me, there are probably 100 who can and do use unallowed tethering to consume hundreds hundreds of megabytes, even gigabytes, every month.
I know it's not ideal, but it's better than nothing.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I know it's not ideal, but it's better than nothing.

I did check out the site- you are correct that it is only offered in WiMax areas.... making it a non-option for most of my state, including where I live. Interesting (if not a little strange) program they have going there, though.

cuffs50

May 9, 2012
Visit site
I use the heck outta Foxfi. Streaming netflix on my ps3, using my tablet and my laptop. If 4.1 disables it I won't be updating. I'm having zero of the issues going on with the evo so its all good.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

axllebeer

Trusted Member
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site

Oct 76MB
Sep 58MB
Aug 28MB
Jul 122MB
Jun 37MB
May 69MB
Apr 34MB
Mar 24MB
Feb 23MB
Jan 9MB

I really would like to see Sprint offer lite tethering in the unlimited plan. Nothing crazy but part of the unlimited data plan includes I believe 300MB of roaming data. It would be nice if they also offered 300MB of on-network tethering as part of the standard package. That would be more than enough for me and I'd be thrilled with it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tony2