Do you feel the Android smartphone community is becoming divided?

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I?m sharing my observations over the past 3 years. I?m writing everything from the top of my head, so if anything I?m saying is incorrect or misinterpreted I have no problem being corrected. I will be mentioning devices and manufacturers only for reference (not to criticise).

THEN
As I?ve said in the past, my first smartphone was the EVO3D. At that time I thought the iPhone was the phone to have due to it?s popularity, build quality, screen, camera, battery life, responsiveness, and iTunes integration. I?ll admit I?ve had many debates with people who owned iPhones to try and show them how my EVO3D was better. My only comeback demonstrations were the larger display, 3D video playback, and the fact that I could expand the storage using an SD card. I remember also showing how I could replace my battery, but I was mocked when they said I needed that option because the battery life of Android devices ?suck?.

I had concluded that iPhone users viewed Android devices as cheap, slow devices with inferior displays and battery life. Remember the comments when Instagram was ported to Android? I was sure that things would change and that the stigma (I had conjured in my brain) about Androids would be changed. I think the OG EVO and Galaxy S2 were the 2 major devices in my opinion, that had functionality and specs that could rival the iPhone. I saw the original Galaxy Note as a device that grabbed people?s attention based on it?s looks/size alone.

NOW
Early this year, the first crop of devices from Android OEMS that I viewed as the ones to finally give the iPhone a challenge were the: EVO4GLTE, HOX, HOS, and SGS3. The EVO4GLTE and HOX had a display that looked better than the iPhone. They both had good build quality, an amazing display, camera, and could do both calls and data at the same time (EVO4GLTE). The HTC One S had the unique manufacturing process for it?s unibody shell. The Samsung Galaxy S3 brought a refreshed design, excellent camera, solid construction, vibrant user interface, software features that were in a league of their own, and one of the best AMOLED displays on the market.

By now I thought the Android devices were aiming towards quality and efficiently rather than relying solely on superior hardware specs to get the same performance and efficiency of the iPhone (I believe from a technical standpoint that the iOS operating system has an advantage that allows for great performance without the need for higher hardware specs). I also noticed that HTC for example was going for the unibody approach, non-removable battery, and in most cases non-expandable storage. I saw no difference between this and the iPhone with regards to hardware configuration (it also didn?t seem to have a negative impact on the iPhone?s sales nor tarnish its image). The Nexus devices also seemed to be following this same approach. Other manufactures were now using very good camera sensors and software (Samsung) and continued the tradition of giving the user the option to expand device storage and a removable battery (which could be replaced with a larger capacity or spare battery). OEMs that had skinned UIs, now had improved performance but kept the user customization factor .

As the year went on I began to notice that a certain disposition began developing in the Android community. I remember iPhone users I knew were proudly announcing that they had the best smartphone on the market based on the aspects mentioned above, along with the sales numbers and popularity. Now it seems that the same mindset has found its way into the Android Community. I?ve even seen comments were users claimed that their device?s manufacturer represented Android.

My only evidence to support my view is what I?ve seen in the comments section for an article reviewing or comparing Android devices. I?m sure various editors have devoted time and effort presenting a well structured and granular review. Many aspects of a device and methods for testing and reviewing were performed. Picture galleries, videos, opinions (objective and subjective), and closing arguments were covered in most cases. However, in the comments section I see more mention of batteries and SD cards, than the topics that were covered in the review (if that device lacks either of those features). Also I see arguments about the lack of on-screen buttons and skinned UIs from time to time. It?s as if there was no point in writing reviews covering any aspect of a device other than its battery capacity, removable battery capability, and storage capacity.

If I were to look at the Android user community and make an observation, I?d say that there are some who prefer an Android device to have a removable battery and SD slot. If not it is an inferior device. Some prefer that OEMs improve their build quality and hardware/software efficiency to consider a device superior. I can understand a person having a preference, but the tone of the comments appears to draw a line that separates the criteria that must be met. What I find even more disturbing are the suggestions that an everyday user actually considers those factors as a mandate for purchasing. I?ve read statements that suggest if a manufacturer would ?listen to its users and offer a removable battery and SD slot?, they would sell more devices, but that would contradict the iPhone?s success. In the same vein some say users don?t care about build quality and efficiency (again how was the iPhone?s successful?).

I never thought I?d see Android users arguing with and mocking each other in the same manner that iPhone users used to do to Android owners. Maybe it?s just me, but I was glad to see the S3 have the sales success it did for the sake of an Android device being a top seller. But I saw that lead to the ?my device is better than anything else on the market? and ?anything that doesn?t have SD and removable battery sucks? type comments. I personally feel that without a removable battery (or high capacity battery) and an SD card, an Android phone is viewed as a failure? If a device doesn?t have great build quality, efficient engineering, and non-expandable storage, then it?s moving away from Google?s initiative and vision (based on what I?ve seen in the latest Nexus line of devices). Me personally I love devices with high quality engineering. At the same time I feel that if a device doesn?t have an SD card slot, it should have sufficient on-board storage for the high-quality media it produces and uses. As for the battery, if it will be non-removable, the highest capacity possible should be used. The Droid DNA is prime example of efficient engineering being used to maximize the use of a small capacity battery (for it?s size). Imagine it running on a 2500 - 3000 mAh battery given it?s current runtime optimization.

I?m curious if anyone else has the same observation (Android OEMs and users heading in opposite directions) or something totally different. If you think I need to take it easy on the sherm, I won?t take offense :). At the very least I hope that I?ve entertained your boredom. Thanks for reading.

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Brilliant! Thank you, thank you, thank you for writing something thoughtful and intelligent on the subject, always great to see posts fulfil those criteria. I will have a response, but sometime tomorrow so as I can do justice to the questions and ideas expressed here.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

MexRex

May 26, 2012
Visit site
Many iPhone users converted specifically to Samsung. I'm in no way surprised that they brought over their superiority complex. IMO this is what's causing the division in the Android community.

gameaddict8

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
That's the great thing about Android. You get to decide what features are most important to you. Screen size/type. Memory. Hardware features. Build quality. Storage. You don't get that with Apple.

Sent from my EVO LTE using Android Central Forums

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
That's the great thing about Android. You get to decide what features are most important to you. Screen size/type. Memory. Hardware features. Build quality. Storage. You don't get that with Apple.

Sent from my EVO LTE using Android Central Forums

I agree, and that is what attracted me to the Android ecosystem. Custom hardware, software, and the ability to customize the software with ease (if desired). The desire for a Vanilla software experience for the sake of performance and timely updates is what I viewed as the only common argument between Android owners. The acceptance of variety when it comes to hardware and design seems to have gone out the window. I am unable to figure out where this is all coming from and why. I'm just the kind of person to view all smartphone owners as enthusiast, regardless of which platform or manufacture they choose to support. Yes some devotees will bicker with others for bragging rights (which continues as each platform fights for the top position), but the manner in which Android and Apple owners sparred with each other is now happening within the Android space.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I think it started with the Rezound. Rezound owners seems to think they have the best phone. ;)

The Samsung Galaxy S III (AC, why do you keep changing my three Is to the number 3?!) and the Galaxy Note 2 are the most popular Android phones with regular customers. They're also great phones for people here.

Then you have the Nexus 4 crowd who can't believe that anyone would buy a phone on-contract.

Then you have HTC and Motorola fans, who are pretty much divided by carrier since their flagship products are not available on practically every (U.S.) network.

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I had no clue the Rezounders were like that :mad:, wasn't that the first phone to have the highest ppi and beats audio?

Your reply now gives me something to work with. Nexus owners aren't fans of skinned UIs and love the fact that they will (in theory) have the must up to date software and get the pure Google experience. HTC and Motorola fans are mad at "the system". There is a conspiracy against them, along with LG and Sony...lol . Heck all phones are great in one way or another. All of this makes sense to me (the whole variety concept). When did the torch and pitchfork party for lack of removable battery and SD card slot begin. Those are the two that stick out the most in arguments that start in the comments section of just about every review I've read. Even when someone ask a question about which phone they should buy, it's the same argument.

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Most of the people want sd cards because it makes it easier to install stolen apps and music!! They need an extra battery because they spend their time tethered to a computer, stealing data at breakneck speeds!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

chestont

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I think a lot of these divisive attitudes come from a natural motivation to feel justified in our own purchases. We chose the phone we chose to buy because we thought it was the best and we don't want to be told otherwise. As Android continue to sell and increases in marketshare, lines are drawn among the different manufacturers and design ideologies which naturally creates sides that we as informed consumers want to defend.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Most of the people want sd cards because it makes it easier to install stolen apps and music!!...

How does having an SD card simplify that?
I admittedly install the occasional pirated App / game (though 100% of the time it's for things without a "Lite" / "Trial" version & I always decide within a day or 2 to either buy it legit or completely uninstall it) and have had no problems not having SD cards.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Panchoevo

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
The issue I see, is adequately demonstrated in this topic. Android phone users used to be a reasonable lot. A phone is just a machine, not a religion. Now they, you, have become iphone-like fanatics, wherein the android phones are now beyond criticism, and anyone that dares to criticize the phones, must have something wrong with them. You've turned into iphone-like zombies. Wake up. It's just a machine, not a faith.

Here's an example off a criticism, that will elicit pointless comments/attacks on me: The HTC EVO 4G would be a superior phone if it had a removable battery.
This heinous statement, which has already been marked for derision in this topic, would elicit remarks directed at me--something must be the matter with me, because I dared to criticize the phone. Here, I'll say it again: The HTC EVO 4G would be a superior phone if it had a removable battery.

And heaven protect the poor soul that wants an SD card in his phone. He must be a deranged psychotic to even think of such a thing.

The iphone cult has entered the Android world. I guess it was just a matter of time. Reasonableness was good while it lasted. The zombies win.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I had no clue the Rezounders were like that :mad:, wasn't that the first phone to have the highest ppi and beats audio?

Your reply now gives me something to work with. Nexus owners aren't fans of skinned UIs and love the fact that they will (in theory) have the must up to date software and get the pure Google experience. HTC and Motorola fans are mad at "the system". There is a conspiracy against them, along with LG and Sony...lol . Heck all phones are great in one way or another. All of this makes sense to me (the whole variety concept). When did the torch and pitchfork party for lack of removable battery and SD card slot begin. Those are the two that stick out the most in arguments that start in the comments section of just about every review I've read. Even when someone ask a question about which phone they should buy, it's the same argument.

The ones crying about updates pretty much want Android to become controlled by Google in the same way iOS is controlled by Apple.

Everyone wants the perfect phone. But the perfect phone for you probably isn't the perfect phone for me.

And the people that want SD card slots and a user-replaceable battery need to realize that Android is about choice. If a phone doesn't have the "specs" you want, choose another phone. You have options. This is the beauty of Android.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

bigdaddytee

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
It's interesting that you mention the Rezound. My first smartphone was the OG Droid, and when it came time to choose a new one, it came down to two; the Rezound, and the Galaxy Nexus.

I was really in a quandary. I need storage, lots of it, due to the conditions of my job. And the GNex has no SD card. I've read the technical reasoning for this, but I wasn't happy about it, although Verizon specified 32 gigs, more than the "real" GNex's. And LTE/Amoled battery life. I didn't know, but soon learned the value of extra/extended batteries.

Then there was the processor, the audio, the screen...everything was stacking up in favor of the HTC. Except for one thing. Sense. So I talked to people about it. Went to Verizon and played with both devices. Thought about updates, and vanilla OS.
I was literally going back and forth in the days leading up to my upgrade. I finally decided to go with Google's support, over the perceived hardware benefits of the Rezound.

And here we are. Since I wasn't an early adopter, I missed many of the early problems with hardware, and some, like Sammie's radios, are what they are. I've also been with Verizon quite awhile, and understand the wait for updates, and the "not a REAL Nexus" arguments. But I have Jelly Bean, just as I started with ICS. And I'll get 4.2, eventually. And I have the option to go much further, doing updates myself. And I am really, really happy with Vanilla Android.

And how do Rezound owners feel? Screwed over. Yeah, they still have a faster processor and, arguably, a better screen, Beats, etc, etc...but their dissatisfaction is in being left behind in support, in favor of newer HTC devices. They feel, probably righteously, screwed over. And me?

I'm very happy. Happy I chose the OS over the hardware. Happy I have the choice to easily upgrade on my own. Happy that I'll never have to feel screwed over.

The hardware will always be a race, and I have definite opinions about it. Until batteries, processors, and especially screen technology advance to more efficiency, bigger batteries are more important than thin phones. Oh, wait, Moto made the Razr Maxx with both. (Listening, HTC?)

And storage. I need lots, and consider 32 to be a minimum. I don't mind it being built in, and even believe in the benefits that brings, but I need to see 32, with a choice to go to 64.

But that's hardware. And that isn't my first priority. Not anymore. I'm firmly on the software side, and I bet I'll get an amen from a lot of people who chose the Rezound for hardware, and got left in the dust by their OEM.

If Google leaves me behind, by gimping the Nexus hardware, I'll get by, by buying better hardware, and Nexifying it with AOSP. This is why I'm passing on the N4. No LTE? When every carrier is scrambling to implement it? Please. Time will tell. But contrasting my experience with Rezound owners experience, I'll make the same choice every time.

For many others, hardware seems to be the main concern, and who am I, to tell them they're wrong? But real concerns are often different than perceived concerns, and you can screw yourself by thinking that the latest is the greatest. More often than not, that's true of the software, and not so true of the hardware.

Whew...I have an opinion!

Sent from the red headed stepchild of the Nexii.

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Windows phone is calling me! I really like the 8 version! Now if sprint will get a 4.7 inch version, I will be set! Google has become to all over the place for me! I've always been a Microsoft fanboy, and its time I went home!

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Lol rezound ppl started it? Have you even been in the rezound section? It is the most laid back and care free section of this forum. Even members long moved on come back to it just to hang out. I have no idea where your getting that.

It's not the rezound fault the gnex has radio issues and arguably worse hardware that caused influx of ppl jumping ship.

And if you think software updates are everything, good for you, but don't make a blanket statement that an entire group of ppl are pissed and left in dust when you obviously have no connection to the ppl you are talking about.

And I'm sorry but if anyone created the superiority complex it was the gnex ppl dogging every other phone in existence and calling lies every time someone created a signal issue thread last winter. They were at one time the "apple users" of the forum.

That being said, the platform is growing and pains are inevitable. No one devise can divide a community, but a select few taking things where they need not go can.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I think a lot of these divisive attitudes come from a natural motivation to feel justified in our own purchases. We chose the phone we chose to buy because we thought it was the best and we don't want to be told otherwise. As Android continue to sell and increases in marketshare, lines are drawn among the different manufacturers and design ideologies which naturally creates sides that we as informed consumers want to defend.

This I understand, however when people go on the offensive and bash a manufacturer's offering because it doesn't have what they prefer in a device, I'm at a lost for that behavior. Justifying a purchase by announcing to the world that something is the best and everything else is lacking because it doesn't have 'x feature(s)' makes no sense, especially when that statement has nothing to do with the review nor any prior comment made that did not criticized what they are defending.

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
The issue I see, is adequately demonstrated in this topic. Android phone users used to be a reasonable lot. A phone is just a machine, not a religion. Now they, you, have become iphone-like fanatics, wherein the android phones are now beyond criticism, and anyone that dares to criticize the phones, must have something wrong with them. You've turned into iphone-like zombies. Wake up. It's just a machine, not a faith.

Here's an example off a criticism, that will elicit pointless comments/attacks on me: The HTC EVO 4G would be a superior phone if it had a removable battery.
This heinous statement, which has already been marked for derision in this topic, would elicit remarks directed at me--something must be the matter with me, because I dared to criticize the phone. Here, I'll say it again: The HTC EVO 4G would be a superior phone if it had a removable battery.

And heaven protect the poor soul that wants an SD card in his phone. He must be a deranged psychotic to even think of such a thing.

The iphone cult has entered the Android world. I guess it was just a matter of time. Reasonableness was good while it lasted. The zombies win.

Your statement clearly (to me) indicates what you'd prefer for something to have so that it fulfills your preference(s). I share your viewpoint that these are just smartphones and people can buy whatever pleases them. I interpret the tone of some opinions to be directed at a device out of hatred (as if an inanimate object committed an act against them) and even a manufacturer.

Darrkman

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
With most forums like this one you have power users projecting their wants and desires onto the general public. That's just not the case. The case for a removable battery is a prime example. Do you really expect the average phone user to walk around with an extra battery in their pocket? Nope. But here....suddenly its a deal breaker that shows the foolishness of a company.

Seriously, ask the average Android phone user about rooting. You'd probably get a blank stare. HTC and Samsung can't make phones for us in here because we don't represent the mass user.

Technically, we're the 1%.

Sent from my HTC One S

Last edited:

deathbysnoosnoo

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
With most forums like this one you have power users projecting their wants and desires onto the general public. That's just not the case. The case for a removable battery is a prime example. Do you really expect the average phone user to walk around with an extra battery in their pocket? Nope. But here....suddenly its a deal breaker that shows the foolishness of a company.

Sent from my HTC One S

Not everyone is mentally ill and wants to carry an extra battery in their pocket like it's a roll of mentos. Some normal people prefer to fully replace the small battery with a larger one and be done with it.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463