Pre-Installed Crap?

SuburbanHell

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I've got an HTC Evo 4G, and I'm trying to decide on what to upgrade to, the HTC EVO 4G LTE or the Samsung Galaxy S3, and one of the things I'm trying to get information on is what kind of pre-installed crap did they put on each phone, because I have a pretty long list of things I wish I could uninstall off my Evo 4G.

Amazon MP3
Blockbuster
Car Panel
Facebook
FM Radio
Footprints
Friend Stream
HTC Mobile Guide
Kindle
Latitude
NASCAR
Navigation (As opposed to Telenav)
Nova
Places
Sprint Zone
Sprint Football
Sprint TV

Problem is, not interested in rooting whatsoever, so one of the factors for my upgrade will be which one has more space because it has less crap I can't get rid of. Also, new to forum, not sure if kosher to post same question in Galaxy S3 forum, or if that can be answered here as well?

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I see you're not interested in rooting, I wasn't either for the first three months and ended up doing this yesterday.
The root process was stupidly simple: (I found this thread on how to root without affecting the flash counter [HOWTO] [ROOT] No Tripping Flash Counter - [ATT / Bell / Telus / Rogers / Sasktel] - xda-developers)
I installed Kies for the drivers on my PC.
I installed Odin on my PC.
I downloaded the stock rooted image onto my phone.
Put my phone into recovery mode, and hooked up USB to PC.
I clicked one button, rebooted and was finished.

This is my first Android phone, and my first root. It was very easy, and not at all terrifying like some make it out to be.

As for your list, here you go:
SGS3 APK App file list : for use with De-BLOAT tools|App removal Etc... ;) :D

Just noticed Blockbuster......lol......do they even exist anymore?

gameaddict8

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I've got an HTC Evo 4G, and I'm trying to decide on what to upgrade to, the HTC EVO 4G LTE or the Samsung Galaxy S3, and one of the things I'm trying to get information on is what kind of pre-installed crap did they put on each phone, because I have a pretty long list of things I wish I could uninstall off my Evo 4G.

Amazon MP3
Blockbuster
Car Panel
Facebook
FM Radio
Footprints
Friend Stream
HTC Mobile Guide
Kindle
Latitude
NASCAR
Navigation (As opposed to Telenav)
Nova
Places
Sprint Zone
Sprint Football
Sprint TV

Problem is, not interested in rooting whatsoever, so one of the factors for my upgrade will be which one has more space because it has less crap I can't get rid of. Also, new to forum, not sure if kosher to post same question in Galaxy S3 forum, or if that can be answered here as well?

Doesn't really matter on the evolte since you have way more space. 2gb internal, 10 gb app storage. (i'm rocking almost 200 apps, no space issues) htc gives you the option to disable apps that you don't use to save on ram usage. gs3 does have unified memory though, so that could sway your decision.

SuburbanHell

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm not so much "terrified" of rooting, but I do want to keep my warranty, since these phones tend to run on the expensive side, so that's my reasoning for not wanting to root.

Based on that APK list on the GS3, It looks like that doesn't have most of the crap I mentioned above already (though there is quite a bit of stuff on there that seems unnecessary), so maybe that's the way to go. Evo 4G LTE Users, what's on the machine out of the box?

SuburbanHell

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't really matter on the evolte since you have way more space. 2gb internal, 10 gb app storage. (i'm rocking almost 200 apps, no space issues) htc gives you the option to disable apps that you don't use to save on ram usage. gs3 does have unified memory though, so that could sway your decision.

Wow 200 apps would destroy my Evo 4G, hell I try to stay away from any app that takes up more than 15mb space right now. What is "unified" memory?

gameaddict8

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Wow 200 apps would destroy my Evo 4G, hell I try to stay away from any app that takes up more than 15mb space right now. What is "unified" memory?

Old Evo only had 384 MB storage. I run a lot of cache apps though.

Unified doesn't spilt up memory. Supposedly HTC uses faster memory for internal memory portion. I don't notice much of a difference either way

Sent from my EVO LTE using Android Central Forums

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm not so much "terrified" of rooting, but I do want to keep my warranty, since these phones tend to run on the expensive side, so that's my reasoning for not wanting to root.

Based on that APK list on the GS3, It looks like that doesn't have most of the crap I mentioned above already (though there is quite a bit of stuff on there that seems unnecessary), so maybe that's the way to go. Evo 4G LTE Users, what's on the machine out of the box?

I totally understand that.... it was my assumption that the process I showed you was reversible, so they couldn't tell... The only caveat was to not install a custom ROM.. Up to you, if you don't want to.... then you don't want to:)

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Android Central Forums

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

This. Bloat doesn't matter on the EVO 4g LTE. ICS allows you to disable apps you don't use. I've went through and disabled all that bloat I don't use and never see it anywhere. Honestly I think bloat is a poor decision point on purchasing a phone.

gameaddict8

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
This. Bloat doesn't matter on the EVO 4g LTE. ICS allows you to disable apps you don't use. I've went through and disabled all that bloat I don't use and never see it anywhere. Honestly I think bloat is a poor decision point on purchasing a phone.

Optimus g might be a good choice. No bloat or branding. 32gb internal storage.

SuburbanHell

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Optimus g might be a good choice. No bloat or branding. 32gb internal storage.

Yeah, I looked into that, and it seems the LG software isn't quite "there" yet like the HTC Sense and Samsung is, so I figure maybe next time around I'll take another look at LG's offerings. Based on what I've been reading here though if "bloatware" doesn't matter anymore then maybe this is the way to go, it's not as easy a decision as it used to be, you know?

gameaddict8

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I looked into that, and it seems the LG software isn't quite "there" yet like the HTC Sense and Samsung is, so I figure maybe next time around I'll take another look at LG's offerings. Based on what I've been reading here though if "bloatware" doesn't matter anymore then maybe this is the way to go, it's not as easy a decision as it used to be, you know?

It's not. Head to the Sprint store to play with live devices

Zookeeper63

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site

Disable apps? I'm looking for how to do that!

deadeye99

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Suburban, I overthought this myself. You don't have any space issues like the og evo. Everyone in my Sprint store tried to push me to the s111. I stayed with the evolte and I don't have any of the problems people are reporting. I guess I'm just an "evo guy". If you like your old one you'll love the new one. Bob

bas.androiddev

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site

This. I had the OG Evo too, and I hated all that bloatware crap, I rooted it and got rid of what I could. When I bought the 4GLTE, the first thing I did was disable whatever bloatware I could find, and honestly until I read this thread, I never have thought about it since, I forgot I even did it. Android 4.0 + is nice with app disable functionality.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Disable apps? I'm looking for how to do that!

Maybe a little more explanation is needed.

Go to Settings - Apps - All. Then select the app you want to disable. You should see a disable button like in my screen shot attached. If you don't see the disable button but instead see "uninstall updates" you will need to click that first then the disable button will show up. If the bloatware has been updated it needs to have those updates installed first.

After disabled it will still show on your list of apps but will show disabled. It el it show up in your app drawer nor will it start and run in the background.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1354839567867.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354839567867.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 17