Bugs in Jelly Bean

elnewby

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Anyone having issues with text messages sending? Mine have been sending way slower, and if I turn off the screen before it has "sent" it won't send at all until I go back to the message and wait for it to send itself. Any ideas? It is working a lot worse than before JB, the new keyboard is annoying me as well.

genescuff

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I guess I'll throw my hat into this foray. I updated the day it was released and the only thing I was experiencing was terrible battery levels. Last night, I figured out how to do a factory reset and completed it. Since then, my battery performance seems to have returned to pre-JellyBean levels, however, I now seem to be experiencing the proximity issue as many others have opined. I never had the proximity issue before, so I'm thinking it could be JellyBean related. I just got off the phone from my 8th call today, and the screen either, would not dim when at my face, or would go black and not turn on until after the call.

EDIT: I ran the Test Menu P-Test through *#*#3424#*#* a few moments ago, and the sensor seemed to be working normally. After that I received another call and the sensor seemed to be working normally again. This is quite strange. I wonder if running the test "fixed" the problem.

EDIT 2: I have solved my problem with the proximity sensor, and it wasn't related to the P-Sensor Test. There was a some facial oil covering the sensor on my phone and once I wiped it off, it worked flawlessly. I was able to duplicate this numerous times within the last hour. It seems the oil was diffusing the light and the sensor was not getting a good reading, at least that's my assumption.

Last edited:

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I noticed that "Best Wi-Fi Performance" was on by default after the update. I had never enabled it before. This might be another thing to check for people with increased battery drain.

That option should NOT be on by default. I just set up a brand new Evo LTE and it was not on. As I have documented in the past ( http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g-lte/177470-do-not-use-best-wi-fi-performance.html ) that option was SERIOUSLY broken. I do not know if it has been fixed, but I would be EXTREMELY wary of ever using that option.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I had face unlock before JB update. Now it is gone. Not in settings, WHAT DO I DO?????????? also BL is bad, and GNOW inconsistent. Any tips, and other new features to tell me about?

What is a BL and a GNOW?

I cannot confirm your report- I still have "Face Unlock" in my "Choose screen lock" screen under Security.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Okay guys. I really need some help. I got the update to Jelly Bean on the 13th when it first started and since then my phone has essentially become useless. The touch screen will function temporarily but after a little bit of the screen being on it will cease to function and I cannot do anything. Whenever I do a sim battery pull it works again for a little while and then stops once again. I'll still get text messages and calls the phone doesn't freeze per say I just can't use the touch screen. I have done multiple hard reboots (with Fast Boot off) and a few hard resets. Still nothing. I've been reading over all these threads and so far I haven't heard about anybody out there having the same problem... Can y'all think of anything to help me?

You say "hard reset", are you saying you performed a factory wipe? If so, you might be installing a bad app after the wipe (so I would try using it completely stock, without installing any apps, and see if the problem persists, then add apps back slowly, one by one, testing after each). Also make sure you are not using a case which might be causing it. Otherwise, your device might have gone defective. :(

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I've only had issues with my battery life going to hell and my sd card is freaking out. It didn't start acting up until after the update.

What things have you tried that have been suggested in the threads?

It doesn't show up until I restart nor can I get the 32gb card to show as a disk drive on my pc. Anyone else experiencing issues with sd card?

What do you mean by "show" "on your PC"? First define "PC". Then define "show". Are you using a USB cable? Are you using a card reader? What operating system? What methods were tried? You are not supplying enough useful information in your request for assistance.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g-lte/235408-wont-mount-ubuntu.html

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Weird issue last night...until last night I've had no issues before or since update. My band was playing at a club where signal was very weak, outside or near glass door I had signal and phone was ok but going deeper into club had nothing and was having problem with phone waking, screen would not come on, only buttons would light, had to hold power button to restart. after happening a few times, I put phone into airplane mode and phone would wake fine, once i left club, took out of airplane mode and connected fine and no problems waking since...Anyone else have waking problems when signal very weak or having no signal at all?

Yours is the only report like this I have seen. I wonder if it is related to "Connection Optimizer"?

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Anyone having issues with text messages sending? Mine have been sending way slower, and if I turn off the screen before it has "sent" it won't send at all until I go back to the message and wait for it to send itself. Any ideas?

I am not sure that isn't just coincidence. Sprint has had a lot of well-known and long-term issues with slow or failed text messaging. I don't send a lot of messages, but I have sent a few so (far post-update) and have not had the issue you describe. But I have in the past- slow send, slow receive on the other end, and (on rare occasions) completely lost messages. If it persists, I would contact Sprint and have them "repartition" your data connection in the phone.

guitarfish

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
The proximity bug is a royal PITA. How do they push out an update with such an obvious bug? And how long will it be until we get a fix? Sigh.

MrSteez

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
You say "hard reset", are you saying you performed a factory wipe? If so, you might be installing a bad app after the wipe (so I would try using it completely stock, without installing any apps, and see if the problem persists, then add apps back slowly, one by one, testing after each). Also make sure you are not using a case which might be causing it. Otherwise, your device might have gone defective. :(

Yeah I've been doing the factory wipe but it's just been doing the same thing. I'll keep trying I guess. I work at Sprint and my coworker that is a tech is going to run it through SLATE tomorrow (our diagnostic program). It becomes compatible with the new Jelly bean update tomorrow.

vbockius

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Yours is the only report like this I have seen. I wonder if it is related to "Connection Optimizer"?
I turned it off after 1st night when it connected my wifi overnight because it's obviously stronger than 3g at home...guess I'll wait to see if it happens again

genescuff

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
The proximity bug is a royal PITA. How do they push out an update with such an obvious bug? And how long will it be until we get a fix? Sigh.

See if this solves your issue, it appears to have solved mine. HTC Function Test, *#*#3424#*#*, then click on P-Sensor Test. I had the proximity issue after I factory reset the phone last night. I ran the test not to long ago, and it seemed to be working normally again. No idea if this is a permanent fix, but I hope it is.

EDIT: I was able to duplicate this issue over numerous times over the last hour. It appears that my facial oil was covering the sensor in such a way as to prevent the sensor from working correctly. A quick wipe from a microfiber cloth solved the problem.

Last edited:

FaisDogg

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I can say that having Google Now on but location history does help a lot with battery drain. It's almost as good as having it turned off completely.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Thanks again for the tip, it looks better now...so far 10 hours I'm at 60 % with moderate use...yest I was 11% by this time with light use

downsouth11

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
I can say that having Google Now on but location history does help a lot with battery drain. It's almost as good as having it turned off completely.

I am not having serious battery drain, but I am always open to getting better battery life. Is there a specific setting you are referring to? I would like to make the adjustment if it is.

FaisDogg

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I am not having serious battery drain, but I am always open to getting better battery life. Is there a specific setting you are referring to? I would like to make the adjustment if it is.

Under Google maps settings, uncheck location history

dlocks

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Anybody having problems with Chrome after the update. When scrolling its very jittery not smooth. I have started using the stock browser and what a huge difference.
I have tried a hard reset and the issue is still there.
Any suggestions?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz