Bugs in Jelly Bean

goggles6

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I feel like I am the only person this has happened to. Prior to the update, I was using Face Unlock, no problems at all. Following the update, I went to unlock my screen and it didnt do face unlock. I went to settings>security>Screen Lock>. Face Unlock was not on the list, not nestled tightly in the screen lock settings. I can't find it anywhere. I hear it is improved and there might be voice and face unlock now. And I really want it back. I went into all apps and Face Unlock is there. I tried "uninstall updates" and i got nothing, then it reappeared as JB's build. I tried Disable and then Enable... still nothing. Tried clearing defaults... nothing!!!! I am wondering if there is anything i can do other than a hard reset.... ITS SO CUSTOM NOW!!!!!!!!!. IF anyone else has this problem let me know. Also, I have factory reset questions, but I'll hold off on those until I know if I need to do a hard reset. Is factory same as hard?

Cyrene

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I totally agree with you about the voice mail app. I haven't figured out a way to delete the message to upgrade. Its on every voice mail I have. I use a different keyboard and messaging, so no problems there, in fact, the lag is gone. Battery is not so good and I had to disable Google Now to try to recoup. In fact that I've turned off all the new stuff as well as maps in order to save battery. I don't know why maps was all of a sudden using so much power. I don't like that I cannot silence the camera shutter as my puppy is afraid of it. I do like the additional editing features for pictures. My hdmi-mhl connection works fine. I noticed that I can no longer assign hepatic feedback to my capacitive buttons as that option is greyed out. I have mixed feelings about the update overall. They fix stuff just to break more.

Sent from my EVO LTE using Tapatalk 2

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I?m having severe proximity sensor issues

Yep, probably the big bug with this update.

My battery life is worse than before and I have almost all of the Google apps disabled except maps

Did you turn off Google Now?

The power saver always kicks on automatically when your battery gets low, which is more than annoying and there is no way to disable it.

? You can turn it off. It is off on mine, but I admit I haven't been that low on battery yet.

The 4X1 people widget is now gone and there is no way to make the other two fit to it?s old size. I don?t want to waste a whole or half a screen on people link access.

There are plenty of alternative widgets out there, though. It is annoying to lose something that was there before, however.

The background wallpaper no longer moves when you swipe between each home-screen like it used to. So the image always stays static in the background and old wallpapers which were made to scroll are messed up.

That was changed to allow them to wrap the carousel around (which I don't like, but that is why).

The new ?Battery Use? power options are horrible. There is no real way to tell which apps are using your battery as the percentages don?t equal 100% and they removed the most important one, ?Screen? which allowed you to see how long your screen has been on for?! They also removed standby usage option which would allow you to see how long your phone had no signal. So they basically handicapped the ?Usage? power options and made them completely useless.

Totally agree.

The HTC Hub is gone along with the tons of ringtones, sounds, themes, etc. How are users supposed to download the flashlight and other HTC apps like the different calculators, word of the day, stopwatch, battery widget, etc? They forced us to use HTC Hub and now they remove it permanently? WTF?! The new update is so eclectic with many greens left over from previous sense versions mixed with the new blue color scheme. Ugly.

I am not sure why they ditched "hub", it was probably just too much work for them to maintain. Personally, I don't miss it, but I know some people did use it.

Many times since I updated my text messages refuse to send or send much later or never. Even with perfect signal I still have issues. Offline Google voice typing never seems to kick in when I have a crappy signal or no signal. The only way I could get it to work was by disabling 3G and WiFi? So what good is it?

I think that is a Sprint network issue and not phone.

Typing always brings up a keyboard notification in the shade that keeps asking me which keyboard I want to use (input method), HTC Sense or Google Voice typing and it never goes away. Every time I start to type it pops up and then goes away when I?m done typing.

That is what it is supposed to do, and it works well. I am not sure I understand your complaint. And it DOES go away the moment the keyboard goes away, have never seen otherwise.

The new sense keyboard a lot of the time misses words and spellings forcing me to go back and do it. The smiles are huge and there is no way to make them normal sized. And sometimes the mic icon on the default sense keyboard disappears and you can no longer do voice typing?! Only a reset I?ve found brings it back? This is extremely annoying! Not to mention some people are having sever keyboard distortion in which the keyboard is unrecognizable and unusable!

Words are learned over time and with the update, it has to relearn. The mic disappears only when there is a mic somewhere else on the screen, this is their intended behavior (strange, but it sorta makes sense). The distorted keyboard is a bug, but doesn't seem very widespread (hasn't happened to me yet either).

The new voice-mail app is horrid and too bright. They constantly try to get you to accidentally click the monthly subscription to their transcription service. I want the old voice-mail app back. There is also a bug in which the screen goes black when listening to a message and all you can do is exit to get back to where you were?

Voicemail is a Sprint app- has nothing to do with HTC or Android or Google. Although the proximity issue is the same as in the phone app (which is the phone).

Various other bugs....[....] Adobe Flash Player can no longer be updated and it doesn?t even appear in the market anymore?

Again, that is an Adobe decision and has nothing to do with HTC, Sprint, Android, or Google.

This will be my last HTC phone as this amount of bugs in a final release is crazy bad. I love my EVO but these issues are just too plaguing and serious. And I bet we don?t see an update to any of these for at least a few months if not LONGER!

Almost everything you listed has been covered already in the threads (doesn't make them less valid, just saying). Some of the things you listed have nothing to do with HTC. Other things are valid bugs which I do expect will get fixed. Others are intentional design choices which we might not necessarily like. If you think only HTC phones have such a variety of changes and bugs, you are going to be disappointed when you switch to something else.

I am not trying to make excuses for HTC, there are some serious issues- mostly involving proximity, WiFi routers, USB connection, and keyboard. I do suggest you send a reworded version to HTC, since such feedback is important. See the link in any of my message signatures. Overall, I think the update is a success for the vast majority of people and hope they will followup with another update soon.

haist

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure if this is a bug or not but I have the it checked off in the stock browser settings to hide the notification /status bar, and but every so often (maybe a few times a minute) the bar shows itself.. It doesn't come all the way down or anything like that, it just peeks out, and then goes back in.. Does anyone else have this "problem"?

guitarfish

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Did anyone lose all their brower bookmarks? They were there after the JB update, but then a day later they were all gone, and about 8 generic bookmarks (CNN, ESPN, etc) were there instead. Pisses me off!!!!! I didn't have a backup, and it's gonna take a while to add mine back in.

tec64

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
So I was running the latest version of ICS. software 2.13.651.1 710RD Android version 4.0.4 HTC sense 4.1 . I loved it and had no issues. I updated to JB and This is what I did not like. Call them bugs, issues or whatever

Power saver in notifications bar all the time, and it automatically turns on when battery gets low. No way to disable it

HTC Hub was removed

The black and clear calculator widgets were replaced by a wooden one and a ugly white one

Wallpaper did not scroll when scrolling home screens

Did not like the JB keyboard at all, loved ICS keyboard

The phone and the UI became very sluggish, IE when scrolling between apps and home screens, contacts ect

Beats audio became excessively loud and lost EQ settings

Power app no longer showed all the info ICS did, how long the screen was on, ect

A few pre installed apps could no longer be disabled, I want to be able to control whats on my phone

Camera button when press 1/2 no longer auto focused, also there was no green square focus box when taking photos that let you know photo was fully focused

WI FI kept turning on automatically, even with connection optimizer off

Sending screen shots via MMS were blurry

Phone got hot during use

Camera app could no longer be silenced when taking photos, ( try taking a photo of a pet with that stutter sound)

Mobile network kept disconnecting, Was set to cmda only

Data speed seemed slower

Voicemail screen was horrible

I tried resetting the phone, hard reset (holding power button for 10 seconds), reboot, factory reboot, clearing partition cache. Nothing worked

The one thing I did like was the ability to customize the sms features, changing the themes and the bubbles, thats it

So luckily since I got my phone from Best Buy and they have a 30 day return policy, I called them and they told me to come in and they would swap out the phone, I updated it to the latest version of ICS software 2.13.651.1 710RD Android version 4.0.4 HTC sense 4.1, and thats were it will stay, unless these things in JB are updated. Next time, I will walk into a sprint store and see how the update works on a demo in the store first. My recomdation is if you have ICS with no issues, hold off on this update, just my 2 cents..

Last edited:

Andras

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Camera button when press 1/2 no longer auto focused, also there was no green square focus box when taking photos that let you know photo was fully focused

I was wondering if I was the only one who noticed this. The touch screen to focus and snap a picture they added is awesome though.

Zookeeper63

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
Did anyone lose all their brower bookmarks? They were there after the JB update, but then a day later they were all gone, and about 8 generic bookmarks (CNN, ESPN, etc) were there instead. Pisses me off!!!!! I didn't have a backup, and it's gonna take a while to add mine back in.

Mine are still there

usguyver

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I dont know why people are having problems. But I have not have any of theses problems exeptes the battery thing in the notification bar. But my phone is fast and nice feels like a new phone. I love the update.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Idahoktm

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
There are plenty of alternative widgets out there, though. It is annoying to lose something that was there before, however.

The problem with the alternative contacts widgets is they require you to download a launcher program. I don't want a different launcher.....I just want a scrollable contacts widget. Does something like the HTC contacts widget exist?

cuffs50

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I'm not experiencing any major issues. Love the smoothness and how responsive it is now. Voice to txt is much more accurate also. The jury is still out for the battery life thing. Sometimes it seems really good and sometimes it seems to drain faster regardless of what I'm doing. Power saver in the task bar doesn't bother me...... Don't really see what the big issue is with that.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

geomatrix

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if this was said before but can anyone find their sms draft messages? I'm either blind, dumb as or a combination of the two

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if this was said before but can anyone find their sms draft messages? I'm either blind, dumb as or a combination of the two

It looks like it only shows up if you have any drafts. In the messaging app from the all messages window go to menu/drafts and there they are.

And since you already said it I'll go with dumb :)

vbockius

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Last night after the Google Maps app update, I installed my local News channels app and my phone went unresponsive, after restarting several times and going unresponsive several times I factory reset....Only loaded Google apps so far, and swiftkey (can't live without it) , Left the connections optimizer on just to test with a clean phone, didn't uncheck any location settings, left wifi on and left gps on....7 hours and 53 minutes off charger and have 76% battery left....wow....

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Last night after the Google Maps app update, I installed my local News channels app and my phone went unresponsive, after restarting several times and going unresponsive several times I factory reset....Only loaded Google apps so far, and swiftkey (can't live without it) , Left the connections optimizer on just to test with a clean phone, didn't uncheck any location settings, left wifi on and left gps on....7 hours and 53 minutes off charger and have 76% battery left....wow....

If you look at the battery thread the people getting 24+ battery life never turn their screens on and are pretty much always on wifi. So I'm not surprised you are getting great battery life with that set up. But the trick is actually using the phone, running all the apps you need/want and still getting decent (that's a relative term) battery life.

genescuff

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I couldn't find anything regarding this issue, so I'm making a new post. Over the last few days, I've noticed my wallpaper disappear, then reload. The phone is still fully functional during this time, only the wallpaper is black, which returns to normal after a bit. The wallpaper is a picture I took with another camera. The wallpaper seems to disappear after using an app and clearing it from the recent list, but I can't get a consistent reading on the occurrence.

vbockius

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
If you look at the battery thread the people getting 24+ battery life never turn their screens on and are pretty much always on wifi. So I'm not surprised you are getting great battery life with that set up. But the trick is actually using the phone, running all the apps you need/want and still getting decent (that's a relative term) battery life.
I generally always got all day battery life..usually at this time I'd be around 60-65%..
Point I was really making is that the Connections optimizer doesn't kill battery...It's been switching me between 3g and the weak wifi signal of the tattoo shop across the street....with no real drain
Most of the apps I use that sync or do background stuff are Google apps that are installed already...
And i've been texting and emailing with the phone just about as much as normal...
Pretty much just wanted to post that I don't think the connections optimizer is as bad or the "battery killer" some think it is...

AetherJones

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
The problem with the alternative contacts widgets is they require you to download a launcher program. I don't want a different launcher.....I just want a scrollable contacts widget. Does something like the HTC contacts widget exist?

Contacts? You mean the people in your contacts list? Thats the "people" widget isnt it?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance