Jelly Bean Tips - Post them here

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Some people, including me, do not like such "mysterious" apps/services that make decisions about what we want or don't want to do. I know how to connect to various networks and when/why, I don't want something changing things behind my back, and I like the behavior of the way it used to work.

So when I was asked about it, I immediately said "no".

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty mindless response, there.

All it does, if I read the description correctly, is switch networks for you from your remembered list. However, it also says it collects data about your WiFi networks, usage, etc. - thus the tin foil comment.

What is the new behavior you speak of? Mine always switched networks and I wanted it to continue to do that so I did not have to manually switch from one WiFi network to another when I went from one location to another.

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I think it scans throughout the day whether you switch locations or not. My buddy with the One X said that having it on for him definitely drained battery. I myself have noticed a significant drop in battery since the update. So I just unchecked it. It is linked to 4G and WIFI. I will let you know my findings as a little time passes. I hope that is what my battery issue was.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Andras

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I think it scans throughout the day whether you switch locations or not. My buddy with the One X said that having it on for him definitely drained battery. I myself have noticed a significant drop in battery since the update. So I just unchecked it. It is linked to 4G and WIFI. I will let you know my findings as a little time passes. I hope that is what my battery issue was.

I had noticed that my GPS was getting pinged a lot since turning that feature on. So off it goes and hopefully the gps will too.

Cherenkov

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
We now finally have an option for "no lock screen"! This is great for people who use Widget Locker or other lock-screen replacements, as before we'd have to unlock the phone twice (Widget locker + native screen) to unlock the phone. Very happy about this!

Also, not sure if this is good or bad, but it appears that when you use a custom keyboard (I use Swiftkey) that keyboard is proliferated everywhere. Even when I type in my PIN to unlock the phone it uses the Swifty keyboard now, rather than the stock one.

scruff24

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I cannot find the Favorites (where it would have your speed dial people) if you saved them to your desktop. (Like opposite of your wifi, bluetooth icons, etc) Is there a way to have it switch to Landscape mode at all when you turn the screen for like the app drawer. (sorry if this was covered already).

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
All it does, if I read the description correctly, is switch networks for you from your remembered list. However, it also says it collects data about your WiFi networks, usage, etc. - thus the tin foil comment.

What is the new behavior you speak of? Mine always switched networks and I wanted it to continue to do that so I did not have to manually switch from one WiFi network to another when I went from one location to another.

That is not exactly how I read what they were describing. I assumed that it will still switch from one remembered WiFi SSID to another, even with the setting off. I can't prove this yet, because I am off today, and only around a single access point. I will know for sure on Monday, though. If it does not switch, I will have to find a way to turn it on. I see no reason why someone would NOT want it to connect to remembered networks.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Beamed a pic to my Nexus- dont remember if this was working before think I could only send apps..

You are correct that it was not possible before... all we could do was send links and contacts.

I was just able to "beam" a photo from one Evo LTE to another just now. However, only when I used the brain-dead "Gallery" app. When I used Quickpic on the sender, it just tried to load Quickpic on the other phone. So I installed Quickpic on the other phone and it would not transfer the photo, only launch the program. This is disappointing.

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Go to settings, Mobile Networks, and then
Automated Connections to disable or enable the optimizer for WIFI/4G.

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
It leads to disconnect issues where the phone will decide it has found a stronger signal....but if for whatever reason that signal doesnt remain constant and it drops the phone at times wont reconnect to its original connection point. For instance, say you have a wifi connection at home...once you get home your phone will connect to it...but if you leave it may not always reconnect to 3G until you do a profile update.

It doesnt happen all the time but there have been quite a few reports of it happening. So to just rid yourself of potential issues its recommended you dont enable that feature. But of course you can always use it and if you dont have any personal issues then you're fine. But if you notice issues with connections, the first recommended remedy would be to turn that feature off.

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
That is not exactly how I read what they were describing. I assumed that it will still switch from one remembered WiFi SSID to another, even with the setting off. I can't prove this yet, because I am off today, and only around a single access point. I will know for sure on Monday, though. If it does not switch, I will have to find a way to turn it on. I see no reason why someone would NOT want it to connect to remembered networks.

It will switch to remembered networks whether that option is turned on or not. The setting is meant to connect to the STRONGEST signal possible whether it be 3G, 4G or WiFi.

chendriks27

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
i don't get all why these companies are "making" us do stupid gestures to use these cool features. i would much rather have the ability to long hold the notification to get more details then to do an awkward horizontal pinch out

fyi, it also works with gmail

It doesn't work on "long hold", because when you "long hold" either one of your notifications, you get an "app info" button, which when you use it, it opens the app information same as in Settings>Apps menu when you select either one.

chendriks27

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I feel you. I'm still trying to find the best way to do the pinch. But in Google's defense, long pressing is already another useful feature. One solution would be to make a left swipe expand the notification and a right swipe clear it.

Oh no, for the left swipe, right swipe solution, I already here iSue already sitting in the starter blocks to sue the hell out of Android or Google for that matter.:D

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site

You interpreted that incorrectly.

What it does is allow you to turn off Wi-Fi so it's not scanning all the time and it will periodically check for remembered networks, thus saving battery life.

If you leave your WiFi active all the time on your phone, the optimizer will do nothing.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
You interpreted that incorrectly.

What it does is allow you to turn off Wi-Fi so it's not scanning all the time and it will periodically check for remembered networks, thus saving battery life.

If you leave your WiFi active all the time on your phone, the optimizer will do nothing.

Thanks. It would be nice if they put such descriptions in the option so that people who DO understand technology are not totally in the dark! Some people are reporting that having the "Optimizer" on is using GPS and also increasing battery usage in other ways, however.

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I will just say that having it turned off has definitely slowed down my battery drain. Maybe it is different for someone else, but having it off has been a positive experience for me so far.