Camera sounds now ALWAYS ON

svargas05

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Yup,

No matter if you have your phone on silent or not, the camera will always make noise. To focus and shoot.

Haven't found a setting to disable that.

Bummer :(

hypercubexl

May 17, 2012
Visit site
I was noticing this right now too, not only the shutter sound but the zoom sound, which has always been ridiculous and annoying..and they aren't just on, but FULL BLAST. It's one thing to let someone know you're sneaking a pic, but the entire neighborhood?

That 2009 bill didn't pass, AFAIK, but I think some makers have taken it upon themselves to police the world.

What was that hack someone had to fix it originally?

secretmethod70

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
This is incredibly annoying. I don't believe any laws to require cell phone camera shutter sounds have actually passed (and I'm opposed to the idea anyway).

One of the main features that sold me on the EVO LTE was the camera's burst mode. I frequently have to take pictures of people talking at events for my job, and the EVO LTE's burst mode has made it MUCH easier to get a good looking shot in those circumstances. (These do not need to be professional pictures, so the EVO LTE's picture quality is perfectly adequate.)

As luck would have it, I updated my phone this afternoon and I had to take pictures at a board meeting I was staffing tonight. There I am, as about 15 people are sitting around discussing important topics, and I start to take some pictures just as I've done many times in the past.... only, this time.... click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click. It was a terrible interruption and I let go of the camera button as soon as I processed what was happening. I slipped out of the room to look at the new camera settings, expecting that the shutter sound might have been given its own setting, but imagine my horror when I realized there was absolutely nothing I could do to silence it. Even if I wanted to take regular pictures, the board members would hear the distracting and unnecessary clicking sound over and over again. I hypothesized that the shutter sound would be turned off during video recording and I was right, so I ended up video recording the meeting and taking lower quality images in the process - and being unable to use burst mode, one of the primary reasons I purchased this phone. Even then, turning recording on and off also makes a noise, but it was much less frequent and the best solution I could find at the time.

I doubt they'll be changing it back, but this change is not just a mild annoyance for me. It actually makes it harder for me to accomplish my professional responsibilities!

AetherJones

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
That 2009 bill didn't pass, AFAIK, but I think some makers have taken it upon themselves to police the world.

What was that hack someone had to fix it originally?

This is incredibly annoying. I don't believe any laws to require cell phone camera shutter sounds have actually passed (and I'm opposed to the idea anyway).

One of the main features that sold me on the EVO LTE was the camera's burst mode. I frequently have to take pictures of people talking at events for my job, and the EVO LTE's burst mode has made it MUCH easier to get a good looking shot in those circumstances. (These do not need to be professional pictures, so the EVO LTE's picture quality is perfectly adequate.)

As luck would have it, I updated my phone this afternoon and I had to take pictures at a board meeting I was staffing tonight. There I am, as about 15 people are sitting around discussing important topics, and I start to take some pictures just as I've done many times in the past.... only, this time.... click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click. It was a terrible interruption and I let go of the camera button as soon as I processed what was happening. I slipped out of the room to look at the new camera settings, expecting that the shutter sound might have been given its own setting, but imagine my horror when I realized there was absolutely nothing I could do to silence it. Even if I wanted to take regular pictures, the board members would hear the distracting and unnecessary clicking sound over and over again. I hypothesized that the shutter sound would be turned off during video recording and I was right, so I ended up video recording the meeting and taking lower quality images in the process - and being unable to use burst mode, one of the primary reasons I purchased this phone. Even then, turning recording on and off also makes a noise, but it was much less frequent and the best solution I could find at the time.

I doubt they'll be changing it back, but this change is not just a mild annoyance for me. It actually makes it harder for me to accomplish my professional responsibilities!

Well until the hack comes, you can just plug ear buds in. Then the sound plays in the buds, but won't disturb people.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

BroadcastJunkie

May 17, 2011
Visit site
they should put a flashing strobe on it as well.. because deaf people cant hear you sneaking pictures of them. and then a shock wave emitter for those that are deaf and blind, so they can feel the shutter hit them. this is just dumb.. bad enough the thing takes a million pictures i have to listen to that sound... the camera just got lame

secretmethod70

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Well until the hack comes, you can just plug ear buds in. Then the sound plays in the buds, but won't disturb people.
Awesome; thanks for the tip!

Use a real camera if it's for work
A "real" camera isn't necessary for my purposes, and it would be an unnecessary expense of hundreds of dollars to find one with a burst mode. With the quality of cell phone cameras these days, there's no reason they shouldn't be considered "real" cameras about on par with point-and-shoot cameras. The only real difference in quality I've experienced is that my dedicated point-and-shoot has an optical zoom. That's nice, but it's the EVO LTE burst mode that's really beneficial to me, and I don't see why I should be expected to spend hundreds of dollars on a camera when this phone has fit my needs perfectly from the day I bought it. Whether or not you understand how a cell phone cam could be good enough for my work needs, it doesn't change that when I purchased this phone in May, I did so with the knowledge that the shutter could be silenced and with no indication that that would be changed.

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone have the file to delete/replace or is it buried deep in the OS? I have Root and am fine editing apks if I have to.

gameaddict8

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Awesome; thanks for the tip!

A "real" camera isn't necessary for my purposes, and it would be an unnecessary expense of hundreds of dollars to find one with a burst mode. With the quality of cell phone cameras these days, there's no reason they shouldn't be considered "real" cameras about on par with point-and-shoot cameras. The only real difference in quality I've experienced is that my dedicated point-and-shoot has an optical zoom. That's nice, but it's the EVO LTE burst mode that's really beneficial to me, and I don't see why I should be expected to spend hundreds of dollars on a camera when this phone has fit my needs perfectly from the day I bought it. Whether or not you understand how a cell phone cam could be good enough for my work needs, it doesn't change that when I purchased this phone in May, I did so with the knowledge that the shutter could be silenced and with no indication that that would be changed.

I meant, if it's for work, then they should cover it.

secretmethod70

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Ah, sorry for the misunderstanding. Unfortunately (for this situation at least), I work for a non-profit. We use our own laptops, cameras, etc for work. I have a point-and-shoot (and so do others) that can be used, but my EVO LTE was the only thing with burst mode. Don't get me wrong, I would have purchased the phone anyway, and I'm happy with it especially now that the update has improved performance so much, but the permanent shutter sound is definitely my biggest dislike of this update and the only one that truly effects my ability to use the phone.

gameaddict8

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Ah, sorry for the misunderstanding. Unfortunately (for this situation at least), I work for a non-profit. We use our own laptops, cameras, etc for work. I have a point-and-shoot (and so do others) that can be used, but my EVO LTE was the only thing with burst mode. Don't get me wrong, I would have purchased the phone anyway, and I'm happy with it especially now that the update has improved performance so much, but the permanent shutter sound is definitely my biggest dislike of this update and the only one that truly effects my ability to use the phone.

Yeah it sucks. Maybe possible to disable with a an app

Sent from my EVO LTE using Android Central Forums

Hammer9274

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I seen in a post about a month or so ago, that you could use the app tasker to silence the camera sound. Don't know that it will work now that you can't silence it at all. They say it's pricey, but might be worth a try??

taniabonita52

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
I seen in a post about a month or so ago, that you could use the app tasker to silence the camera sound. Don't know that it will work now that you can't silence it at all. They say it's pricey, but might be worth a try??

If someone can confirm that Tasker works after Jelly Bean, I will pay the $7 because that frickin noise makes me cringe. I hate it SO MUCH.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

secretmethod70

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
The Tasker trick worked by automatically setting the phone into silent mode when the camera app was opened. Unfortunately, since silent mode no longer effects the shutter sound, I'm 99% positive it is not a solution for updated EVO LTEs.