Proximity sensor problem during phone call back on Jellybean update

Andras

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone tried bringing the phone to a Sprint store to get fixed or replaced? Justin curious. I know it's a software issue, but maybe Sprint would replace the phone?

Yes I did. I wanted to see if they could roll back the software then reapply the JB update in case it was something during the process that got messed up. I had already hard reset the phone 5 times at that point and that was pretty much all they could do there(they also popped the back cover off and was looking at the ports I assume to see if my phone has water damage). They offered to replace it but I didn't purchase the TEP so it would have been $35.00. I'm more than sure HTC will release a fix for it, like they had to a couple months ago, in a future update and I don't use my phone as a phone much anyways so I kept the one I have.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
They offered to replace it but I didn't purchase the TEP so it would have been $35.00.

Let me get this straight. I am paying $11 every month for "insurance", year after year, and have NEVER made a claim. And if they did, it would likely be replaced with some used phone (mine is PERFECT CONDITION ALWAYS). But you have no insurance and they offer to replace yours for $35???

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Let me get this straight. I am paying $11 every month for "insurance", year after year, and have NEVER made a claim. And if they did, it would likely be replaced with some used phone (mine is PERFECT CONDITION ALWAYS). But you have no insurance and they offer to replace yours for $35???

It depends on the store, but I've found if the phone is still working, they'll replace the phone for free with insurance, $35 without insurance. I've had my EVO replaced twice for free for things that were my fault (well one indirectly). I think the only sure way to get hit with the deductible is to lose the phone or bring it to them in a million pieces.

My guess is that the guts of the phone are so valuable to use for refurbs that they'd rather replace the phone than people just trashing the broken/malfunctioning ones.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Andras

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site

You forgot that you also have to pay a deductible for a replacement(depending on the situation) =). Plus you have to remember that our phones came with a one year from date of purchase warranty from HTC also. My guess is the $35.00 was a service charge for them to do the warranty claim for me. Seeing as if something on my phone was broken by an update or some other manufacturing defect it would make sense to have a warranty claim instead of a TEP claim. HTC would be doing themselves a huge favor by fixing this proximity sensor issue ASAP because in many cases people's sensors aren't even turning off after a phone call is made. That for sure will cause the sensor to wear out prematurely and HTC will be at fault for it. I am VERY VERY VERY careful with my phones and am totally aware of the risks of not having the TEP. I already have a ticket in with HTC support service and it has been reported to their escalations department. Either way I don't want a new phone...I just want the software to work properly. I'm happy waiting it out.

freedumb87

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I've also owned the phone from day 1. I've had no issues with the proximity sensor until the JB update. For the people that are saying to just hit the power button, it doesn't work because the screen just goes right back to black.

One interesting thing that I did notice after the screen goes black, is if I wave it or tilt it really quickly, it will temporarily come back on, but only for about a couple of seconds.

Also, want to add that I currently don't have a screen protector or case on the phone.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't go that far. Mine is a day 1 Evo LTE and I have not experienced that problem at all, ever, including with JB...

I will now have to qualify and clarify. I rarely use the phone as a phone. And I almost never use the phone on my face. I am having a LOT of bluetooth problems after this update and, ironically, while on a long call with a higher-level HTC tech tonight, my bluetooth kept freaking, and finally shut out completely so I was forced to use the phone to my face.

I still have never had the problem with the screen staying black. But what WAS happening was at random intervals, the phone would pop and I could see the lights flick on for a fraction of a second when I would look down but it was still on my face. When I take it away from my face, comes on correctly, and it turns back off when I put it to my face. It made the pop/blink dozens of times while talking to him.

He said HTC is very aware of issues with the proximity sensor and is actively working on a fix.

Kinolay

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
If your screen blacks out just tap the power button and it will return. Simple workaround till it gets fixed...

That's what you'd think, but sometimes the screen comes on and turns back off again after a half second or so. It's not on long enough to a accomplish anything in those instances.

Kinolay

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Hey all, I tried a factory reset, and it fixed nothing. Then, I cleared my phone's cache, and the proximity sensor is working fine. I can't explain it, but I'm very happy about.

axllebeer

Trusted Member
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site

Yes. This happened to me with a BlackBerry. I have 5 phones on my plan with Sprint. 2 have insurance and the other 3 don't. The BlackBerry with no insurance had 2 broken buttons and I got them to replace it for the $35 fee.

Why am I paying for insurance again on any of them ?!

Andras

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I finally spoke to HTC's Escalations Department yesterday regarding the proximity sensor. What they told me was that they are aware that it is a widespread issue and are working on a fix for it. They're trying to figure out a way to give us a set of instructions to fix it ourselves and if they can't they will roll out a fix in a maintenance release.

Robynsnest

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
That's what you'd think, but sometimes the screen comes on and turns back off again after a half second or so. It's not on long enough to a accomplish anything in those instances.
Mine did that I hit the power button and it acted all freaky the screen would come on and promptly go right back, not even long enough for me to slide the unlock. It only did it once though. I am still having the proximity issues though and hope they fix it soon. I also hate that the media link wants to turn on when I have the phone to my face. I guess my cheek presses a button but it's annoying.

Robynsnest

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site

It depends on the store, but I've found if the phone is still working, they'll replace the phone for free with insurance, $35 without insurance. I've had my EVO replaced twice for free for things that were my fault (well one indirectly). I think the only sure way to get hit with the deductible is to lose the phone or bring it to them in a million pieces.

My guess is that the guts of the phone are so valuable to use for refurbs that they'd rather replace the phone than people just trashing the broken/malfunctioning ones.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

I think the reason it's $35 is that it's still under warranty. Once the warranty is up there is no replacement without insurance. I had an issue with the phone unable to connect to wireless when I first got it and tried to reset via tech online and it didn't work. I ended up going to the store. They told me that if they couldn't fix it, it would be replaced free since it was under warranty and I had insurance. However they were able to fix it.

AaronTV

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Not that further confirmation of the issue is really needed, but I'll add mine to keep the thread current. I'm a day 1 owner who never had a proximity sensor issue at all until the JB update. Now, like others have described, I have problems with voicemail playback and screen staying off in low light. It can be extremely annoying.

Let's hope the fix is coming soon...

Klemen Humerca

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm having same issues with sensors: proximity, orientation, light and accelerometer. Sometimes they work and then they stop. I haven't found any pattern, it's always random. And they always stop working both at the same time. I found funny (temp) solution to make them work again. I installed app called Android Sensor Box. It's an app for testing all sensors. So when I open proximity or accelerometer sensor test, they are not working. But when I do gyroscope test (which is always working), after that every sensor/test is working again. I have completely no idea why :)