Google Nav crashing since jb update

dagold99

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I had the EXACT same experience as ZQUAL at the sprint store. Received my replacement phone yesterday and now Google Navigation works Great. No Crashes. So Go TO THE SPRINT STORE AND GET A REPLACEMENT PHONE.

zqual

May 23, 2012
Visit site
I had the EXACT same experience as ZQUAL at the sprint store. Received my replacement phone yesterday and now Google Navigation works Great. No Crashes. So Go TO THE SPRINT STORE AND GET A REPLACEMENT PHONE.

Dagold, it was actually someone else from the sprint forums that went to the sprint store who exchanged there evo. But will you keep all of us posted in a few days if you notice any bugs with the new phone? And was it a refurbished phone that they gave you? Greatly appreciated.

ufergus

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I am unconvinced there is a hardware issue when it comes to the google nav problems. Perhaps something doesn't upgraded correctly when moving to jelly bean with the OTA and factory installs don't show the problem. Good and Evo just posted the RUU so maybe its worth a flash to see if it fixes the problem. Still not update from HTC....

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I ditched CM10 for the same issues that HTC didn't work out? Great.

CM ran into the proximity issue too. And nav crashed.

Looks like HTC ran into the same bugs. Only difference is HTC pretended that this was a stable release.

zqual

May 23, 2012
Visit site
I ditched CM10 for the same issues that HTC didn't work out? Great.

CM ran into the proximity issue too. And nav crashed.

Looks like HTC ran into the same bugs. Only difference is HTC pretended that this was a stable release.

and its hard to let HTC know cuz there support page is down. I've been posting these issues ( Google maps crash, voicemail bug , and phone app bug) on sprint forums &help page, Google maps forums and group pages, and HTC facebook page. But seems like I can't get any of the three companies to comment or let us know if a fix is coming. I was gonna ask Phil N if he could write something up, and send it to sprint/HTC/Google maps devs to see if he could get an answer. Cuz it seems like every evo user has the same problem. POWER OF THE PRESS !! SO SAY WE ALL!! ------(Correction, htc forums/ help isnt down its just cant get access for some reason. ) Check this out...

Jellybean update maps process error. - HTC EVO

Last edited:

dagold99

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi zqual. No crashes with replacement phone using google Nav.Works great. I have not noticed any problems with my phone. I believe the replacement phone was refurbished. It did come with ICS and I had to install JB myself. But again no issues as far as I can tell. I really believe that people who are having problems need to go into a sprint store and get a replacement phone. Happy New year!

zqual

May 23, 2012
Visit site
Thank you Dagold - I just opened a ticket with HTC on a lot of the bugs in this update. hopefully we will get something from them. im gonna go to sprint and get my new phone!

Just had email discussion with a HTC rep and showed me how to clear the internal cache of the phone, just did it but not sure if it will fix the Google maps. Here are the directions. I was so shocked at how fast they keep getting back to me :)

Thank you for your response. We appreciate the additional information you have provided with your Evo 4G LTE. We will certainly make a note of these issues and can provide some information to help resolve the issues. Keep in mind that, since we cannot verify the exact steps that have been done on your phone previously, we will need to start from the beginning in order to make sure that all bases have been covered.

To start, we can clear the device?s cache partition. This will not remove any personal data on the phone but will delete any temporary files that may be causing an issue, in case of corruption. We can clear the partition with the steps below:

1. Disable Fast Boot under Settings>Power.
2. Power the phone off.
3. Press and Hold Volume Down then briefly press Power to turn the phone on. Do not release Volume Down until the phone boots a white screen with three images of the Android mascot.
4. Use the volume keys to highlight Recovery and press Power to select. Screen will load to an image of a red triangle with an exclamation point.
5. Press Volume Up and Power at the same time to show the Recovery Menu.
6. Use volume keys to highlight ?wipe cache partition? then press Power to select. This may take approximately 30 seconds depending on the amount of information it has to go through.
7. When done, highlight the option to reboot/restart phone and again press Power to select.

Once the phone reboots, test the Maps, Sensor and DLNA functions for a day or so see if there any change.

We can also boot the device into Safe Mode to see if there is any improvement in the device?s function. Safe Mode will only boot up the operating systems necessary system processes. To do this, power off the phone completely. Again, we may need to ensure that Fast boot is still disabled first. Then power the phone back up and wait the white HTC screen to show. As soon as the screen turns white, press and hold Volume Down. Do not release until the Home screen shows. From there, you can test the device for a while to see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, please contact us again and let us know so we can look further into the issue.

Last edited:

padre1357

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
I. Have a job that takes me to a couple dozen different job sites on a daily basis. Fri. I was traveling across my state to many diff towns ive never been too. Damn nav crashed 8 times in my first 2 hrs, i hate to do it but im SO done with htc. I wish you all luck with this phone. Either i try another mfg or im goin apple. Damn rim an sprint for no support

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Thank you Dagold - I just opened a ticket with HTC on a lot of the bugs in this update. hopefully we will get something from them. im gonna go to sprint and get my new phone!

Just had email discussion with a HTC rep and showed me how to clear the internal cache of the phone, just did it but not sure if it will fix the Google maps. Here are the directions. I was so shocked at how fast they keep getting back to me :)

Thank you for your response. We appreciate the additional information you have provided with your Evo 4G LTE. We will certainly make a note of these issues and can provide some information to help resolve the issues. Keep in mind that, since we cannot verify the exact steps that have been done on your phone previously, we will need to start from the beginning in order to make sure that all bases have been covered.

To start, we can clear the device?s cache partition. This will not remove any personal data on the phone but will delete any temporary files that may be causing an issue, in case of corruption. We can clear the partition with the steps below:

1.Disable Fast Boot under Settings>Power.
2.Power the phone off.
3.Press and Hold Volume Down then briefly press Power to turn the phone on. Do not release Volume Down until the phone boots a white screen with three images of the Android mascot.
4.Use the volume keys to highlight Recovery and press Power to select. Screen will load to an image of a red triangle with an exclamation point.
5.Press Volume Up and Power at the same time to show the Recovery Menu.
6.Use volume keys to highlight ?wipe cache partition? then press Power to select. This may take approximately 30 seconds depending on the amount of information it has to go through.
7.When done, highlight the option to reboot/restart phone and again press Power to select.

Once the phone reboots, test the Maps, Sensor and DLNA functions for a day or so see if there any change.

We can also boot the device into Safe Mode to see if there is any improvement in the device?s function. Safe Mode will only boot up the operating systems necessary system processes. To do this, power off the phone completely. Again, we may need to ensure that Fast boot is still disabled first. Then power the phone back up and wait the white HTC screen to show. As soon as the screen turns white, press and hold Volume Down. Do not release until the Home screen shows. From there, you can test the device for a while to see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, please contact us again and let us know so we can look further into the issue.

I thought this was done automatically with every OTA. Please keep us posted on whether this fixes the issue for you and if there are any side affects :)

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Android Central Forums

zqual

May 23, 2012
Visit site
No fix from what they suggested, But I've been going back and forth with HTC for the past couple of days with the bugs ( super sensitive proximity sensor, DLNA, google maps & and added why no wifi direct?) And they said they were going to pass the case up to escalations dept. I also showed them these threads and how so many people were having these problems. So hopefully we will get a patch or something to better our phones. Because I have tried older versions of google maps and they all still crash. So i kinda think its a problem with android version 4.1.1... Im not a coder ( wish i was, would love to learn and troubleshoot these things like the Awesome guys at XDA). But I will def keep everyone posted. So looks like its Waze or telenav for now if you don't want to get a replacement phone.

P.S let me know if anyone has anymore crazy bugs and ill mention it with HTC, I went in the bugs in jelly bean and pretty much same as what i was having.

Email from HTC
Thank you for the information. I have successfully escalated your case to our Escalations department.

Let me know if I have successfully answered your question, please click here to complete this.

To send a reply to this message, please click here.

Sincerely,

Jauna

HTC

Want to see what others are saying? Have a question to ask other HTC fans?

Become a fan of HTC facebook.com/htc
Follow us on Twitter twitter.com/htc
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel youtube.com/htc

Explore our development resources developer.htc.com

Please visit us at htc.com if you have any questions or need further assistance.

ufergus

May 14, 2010
Visit site
That is the same BS i got too. "We have escalated your issue but don't have new information" Just tell me you know of the problem, you know it's affecting many people and you are working on a fix. Is that so hard?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

ay

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site

1. Disable Fast Boot under Settings>Power.
2. Power the phone off.
3. Press and Hold Volume Down then briefly press Power to turn the phone on. Do not release Volume Down until the phone boots a white screen with three images of the Android mascot.
4. Use the volume keys to highlight Recovery and press Power to select. Screen will load to an image of a red triangle with an exclamation point.
5. Press Volume Up and Power at the same time to show the Recovery Menu.
6. Use volume keys to highlight ?wipe cache partition? then press Power to select. This may take approximately 30 seconds depending on the amount of information it has to go through.
7. When done, highlight the option to reboot/restart phone and again press Power to select.

Unfortunately, I continue to crash after trying the above, deleting and re-installing the latest Maps update, and also clearing the apps cache. Anyone have any other suggestions? Telenav is a capable replacement to Google Navigation for me, but I do prefer Google Navigation. Amazing that it's a GOOGLE app that's giving all this trouble!

cerebasan

May 1, 2011
Visit site
So since maps is the issue and telenav works fine the issue is Google's to fix? That doesnt seem like a hardware or jelly bean problem.

zqual

May 23, 2012
Visit site
Still nothing :'( , its got to be something with the jelly bean update because I tried downloading older versions of maps and they still crash as well. Fergus420, I'm not sure on how to do the flashing . But if I knew I Def try it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech