Battery after JB

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, somehow the update enabled my location history in Google maps. I've disabled it now, hoping for better battery life today.

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I have been off charger for not even 2 hours and I. Am at 77%. Power usage says that my camera is using 31% of my battery and I've only taken one picture. WTF?

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I have been off charger for not even 2 hours and I. Am at 77%. Power usage says that my camera is using 31% of my battery and I've only taken one picture. WTF?

If you have not done so already, TURN OFF FASTBOOT then reboot the phone.

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I never leave fastboot checked. I don't know what it is. I have tried many things, and the battery drop is still much faster than before the update. I was getting around 14-15 hours on a charge before the update. When I first got the phone, around 19 hours. Right now, I have optimizer unchecked, I just this morning turned battery saver off, GPS off, and in Google Now I only have weather turned on.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I never leave fastboot checked. I don't know what it is.

It is a way to quickly start/stop the phone but without doing a real/full reboot. It caches stuff and pulls things back into memory more quickly. The problem is that people who are having problems and think they are rebooting really are not and some problems can persist through a fastboot. I think HTC made it default ON which is horrible from a support standpoint. Since these newer phones with newer versions of Android boot so quickly now, I don't think the option should even be offered anymore (more negative than positive) or at least the default should be OFF.

I have tried many things, and the battery drop is still much faster than before the update. I was getting around 14-15 hours on a charge before the update. When I first got the phone, around 19 hours. Right now, I have optimizer unchecked, I just this morning turned battery saver off, GPS off, and in Google Now I only have weather turned on.

After testing with your current config (GPS off, Optimizer off) then try turning off Google Now completely and test. Check your power history after being off the charger for a while, too.

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
LOL, thank you, I meant, I do know what fastboot is and I never have it checked/on, but I just don't know what is causing the drain. I don't feel like doing a factory reset and having to set everything back up. Usage says my camera is using anywhere from 27% to 33% of my phones energy. Does anyone know if I clear out the data and cache of the Camera app in the Apps section, if it will mess up the camera functions?

Andras

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't think the option should even be offered anymore (more negative than positive) or at least the default should be OFF.

I think they did change the default to off this go around.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Usage says my camera is using anywhere from 27% to 33% of my phones energy. Does anyone know if I clear out the data and cache of the Camera app in the Apps section, if it will mess up the camera functions?

OMG! The camera should not be using that much power unless you have been actively using it a LOT. Clearing out the cache of the camera app won't hurt it (it will forget your settings only) but it shouldn't make any difference either. Did you reboot like I said to?

Remember- the usage history is since the last charging session. The numbers are not terribly useful until the phone has been off the charger for quite a while. If you take it off the charger, use the camera once, then go look at the history, it is going to look like the camera is using a huge amount of power (which it is, but only because you haven't done anything else yet).

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I did reboot, but still says the same thing in Usage. Maybe I will try clearing it out. I am assuming that the only thing I will have to change once I use the camera again is where to save photos to. So, it is safe to clear the camera data and cache?

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I did reboot, but still says the same thing in Usage. Maybe I will try clearing it out. I am assuming that the only thing I will have to change once I use the camera again is where to save photos to. So, it is safe to clear the camera data and cache?

Yes and yes. Then perhaps reboot it again, put it on the charger until it is full, then take it off and use (or not use) it normally for a few hours and look at your power history again.

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Yes and yes. Then perhaps reboot it again, put it on the charger until it is full, then take it off and use (or not use) it normally for a few hours and look at your power history again.

Tank you for the suggestion! I love these forums. I like to be able to give help and get help so fast!

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Google now is turned off and my battery is back to like it was before the update. Very happy. Let's see if it lasts.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Google now is turned off and my battery is back to like it was before the update. Very happy. Let's see if it lasts.

You made some other changes too, so it is hard to be conclusive. But it does have face validity based on other postings and the way Google [Spy] Now seems to work. Since it is always "on", recording where you go, what you do, etc, it stands to reason it will be using significant power. Will be interesting to see if anyone else with battery issues has the same result when just turning off Google [Spy] Now without making any other changes...

(I am not a good test, because I never allowed it to start in the first place).

Andras

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I noticed mine was off, but I assumed it just remembered that from before the update. Anyway, I hope you are right!

I've done 5 total factory resets 2 of which I wiped the cache partition to try to fix my proximity sensor issues and each time the fast boot was checked off....so I think that's a good sign =).

othersteve

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site

For what it's worth, I have left it enabled, but have disabled Location History within Google Maps (which Now uses for some of its functionality, but which isn't required) and it seems to have made a huge difference in battery conservation. Please try this and let us know if it also seems to work for you. It'd be great to find a way to keep Now enabled for those who want it but still not completely sacrifice all battery life.

Glenn

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
For what it's worth, I have left it enabled, but have disabled Location History within Google Maps (which Now uses for some of its functionality, but which isn't required) and it seems to have made a huge difference in battery conservation. Please try this and let us know if it also seems to work for you. It'd be great to find a way to keep Now enabled for those who want it but still not completely sacrifice all battery life.

Seems like location history is causing Maps to turn itself on and drain the battery.

vbockius

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm off charger for 8 hours and I'm at 75% with Google Now on...I don't think Google Now is that big of a battery drain...

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Well, I wish it wasn't for me, but it really was. I will try going back to it, but so far I am thrilled with battery life since I turned it off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance