Battery after JB

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
First day of life with JB on my HTC EVO 4G LTE - horrid.

Took phone off the charger at 6AM and almost 8 hours later I only have 31% left.

About noon I turned off the WiFi optimizer and Google Now.

The ugly thing is that I don't think my "go to" battery monitor is working right with JB on this phone. GSam Battery Monitor is reporting that 97% of my battery was consume by a 2 minute and 5 Se one phone call (see attached pic).

I used to get 15 hours even with 3 hours screen on time. So far my screen has only been on 2 hours and 36 minutes.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1355514728619.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1355514728619.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 297

AetherJones

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I have to agree. My battery life is much worse. I lisrened to audible for an hkur and dropped 15% when i usually listen for 3 hours to drop that much.

I ended up using that new battery saving option big time... And it didnt help much.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I never put the phone down, I've been working on it constantly so my batter life's been horrible. Have to wait a while to really get a good test

Zookeeper63

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
Off charger for 2 hours, 39 minutes with minimal usage and down to 85% charge, this after turning off and disabling stuff I don't use or need....this is concerning.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Off charger for 2 hours, 39 minutes with minimal usage and down to 85% charge, this after turning off and disabling stuff I don't use or need....this is concerning.

Is that with or without accepting/allowing Google Plus? What about the "Connection Optimizer"? Also suggest you look at the power history stuff to see if there is anything interesting there.

Comparing one person's battery life to another is a meaningless, futile task. However, comparing your own experience on the same phone, with the same apps, in the same area, and with the same usage patterns can provide useful info.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else notice battery usage no longer shows the screen as using a percentage of your battery?

I guess with Jelly Bean your screen no longer consumes any battery. :p

Technosticrati

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else notice battery usage no longer shows the screen as using a percentage of your battery?

I guess with Jelly Bean your screen no longer consumes any battery. :p

Very interesting. So under what application would they now expense it is the next question.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Very interesting. So under what application would they now expense it [the screen] is the next question.

And the answer is it appears that it is nowhere.

When I add up all the percents, I am only getting 95%. That is the first issue. The second issue is that we *KNOW* the screen can't be just 5%. And if I just let it sit a long while, with the screen on, the percents do not change.

My conclusion is that they are showing the percentages of everything AFTER they remove the screen power consumption. That is incredibly stupid- since the screen is *aways* going to use more power than anything else, if there is any reasonable screen-on time. Why the hell would they want to hide screen power usage??

Am I missing something?

BlackedOutLT1

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Download the app, Carat, and let it run for a while to see if there are any rogue programs hogging data or any other issues going on with the phone. I am thinking about doing that as my battery life has significantly deteriorated since the update. I hope it changes.

AetherJones

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
And the answer is it appears that it is nowhere.

When I add up all the percents, I am only getting 95%. That is the first issue. The second issue is that we *KNOW* the screen can't be just 5%. And if I just let it sit a long while, with the screen on, the percents do not change.

My conclusion is that they are showing the percentages of everything AFTER they remove the screen power consumption. That is incredibly stupid- since the screen is *aways* going to use more power than anything else, if there is any reasonable screen-on time. Why the hell would they want to hide screen power usage??

Am I missing something?

Easy Battery Saver is the first app i saw that gave me an accurate percentage for my apps. I see now that my live wallpaper is 26% of the problem and Chrome is another 25.

bryankutch

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Mine had terrible battery today. I noticed that the update changed my mobile network back to CDMA/4gLTE when I had previously switched it to CDMA only since 4G is not available in my area (Cincinnati). That helped tremendously so you may want to check that setting.

eugenehj

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I am glad I was not the only one that noticed this. My phone lasted from 6am CST until 9am CST today.

charlesspivak1

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Would it be wise or even probable to suggest doing a factory reset after this JB update? That is what was suggested to me and I'm inclined to do it. My battery life has suffered quite a bit using 5-10x more juice than usual for meaningless tasks.

Also as a side note, I use Audio Manager Pro and it would seem to be broken as well. Profiles don't stick to their settings (volume rockers not right). I wrote to the developer and he has only given me basic tips that don't seem to fix anything.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Would it be wise or even probable to suggest doing a factory reset after this JB update? That is what was suggested to me and I'm inclined to do it. My battery life has suffered quite a bit using 5-10x more juice than usual for meaningless tasks.

Also as a side note, I use Audio Manager Pro and it would seem to be broken as well. Profiles don't stick to their settings (volume rockers not right). I wrote to the developer and he has only given me basic tips that don't seem to fix anything.

It can't really hurt. You will have to go through lots of settings and customizing again, but if you are having problems, it can be a very helpful step to take in troubleshooting. Just be careful re-introducing apps, especially those that are in the family of services and utilities. You might also try the other tips in the thread too (if you have not, already)- like turning off the Connections Optimizer, turning off Google Now, turning OFF the Power Saver (how ironic), etc.

Fortunately, I have not had to factory wipe... my issues are the ones most EVERYONE has with the updates... mostly design choices, not bugs.

Andras

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Make sure that if you do go through the process of a hard reset that you turn OFF the new back up settings. If not when you reboot ALL your old apps will autodownload back onto your phone which will stop you from doing them slowly to see which one is giving you the issue.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey