Won't mount to Ubuntu

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
When I first plug in the phone and it is set to HTC Sync the drives will show up on ubuntu. You can see all the folders and files but can't access anything. When I switch to disk drive they disappear and never connect to the computer. I have an SD card in so I'm not trying to access the phone storage.

Anyone know a fix to this?

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
When I first plug in the phone and it is set to HTC Sync the drives will show up on ubuntu. You can see all the folders and files but can't access anything. When I switch to disk drive they disappear and never connect to the computer. I have an SD card in so I'm not trying to access the phone storage.

Anyone know a fix to this?

I would change the subject to "Linux" instead of Ubuntu (Ubuntu is *a* Linux distro, but Linux is not Ubuntu).... but that aside...

You are not alone. http://forums.androidcentral.com/ht...now-i-cant-charge-only-thru-usb-computer.html

NEITHER of my computers (Mageia 2 and Fedora 17) will see it with USB Mass Storage mode anymore, only that stupid MTP stuff (which is brain-dead/broken and acts like you describe). I suppose it is possible they changed the USB ID's on the device in some way that Linux doesn't understand yet. Very irritating. Thank GOD for Airdroid. This is all I get now:

MTP mode:
kernel: [1788243.495093] usb 2-5: new high-speed USB device number 15 using ehci_hcd
kernel: [1788243.610567] usb 2-5: New USB device found, idVendor=0bb4, idProduct=0f91
kernel: [1788243.610569] usb 2-5: New USB device strings: Mfr=2, Product=3, SerialNumber=4
kernel: [1788243.610571] usb 2-5: Product: Android Phone
kernel: [1788243.610572] usb 2-5: Manufacturer: HTC
kernel: [1788243.610573] usb 2-5: SerialNumber: XXXXXXXXX
kernel: [1788243.611398] scsi24 : usb-storage 2-5:1.1
mtp-probe: checking bus 2, device 15: "/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:13.2/usb2/2-5"
mtp-probe: bus: 2, device: 15 was an MTP device

USB Mass Storage Mode:
kernel: [1788291.362093] usb 2-5: new high-speed USB device number 17 using ehci_hcd
kernel: [1788291.477618] usb 2-5: New USB device found, idVendor=0bb4, idProduct=0ff9
kernel: [1788291.477621] usb 2-5: New USB device strings: Mfr=2, Product=3, SerialNumber=4
kernel: [1788291.477622] usb 2-5: Product: Android Phone
kernel: [1788291.477624] usb 2-5: Manufacturer: HTC
kernel: [1788291.477625] usb 2-5: SerialNumber: XXXXXXXXXX
mtp-probe: checking bus 2, device 17: "/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:13.2/usb2/2-5"
mtp-probe: bus: 2, device: 17 was not an MTP device

You will notice in the second listing, it was never assigned a device name or node. I have reported this to HTC just now (since you are confirmation that it is not just my phone or systems). Hopefully you will too, and anyone else reading this who is irritated by this regression in functionality.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Just for sport, I also tried to use "gnomad2" to talk to the Evo LTE in MTP mode (since I have used that before successfully on my Motorola Xoom) and it failed miserably also:

Device 0 (VID=0bb4 and PID=0f91) is UNKNOWN.
Please report this VID/PID and the device model to the libmtp development team
PTP_ERROR_IO: failed to open session, trying again after resetting USB interface
LIBMTP libusb: Attempt to reset device
LIBMTP PANIC: failed to open session on second attempt
PDE device NULL.
PDE device NULL.
Device 0 (VID=0bb4 and PID=0f91) is UNKNOWN.
Please report this VID/PID and the device model to the libmtp development team
ignoring usb_claim_interface = -6ignoring usb_claim_interface = -5PTP_ERROR_IO: failed to open session, trying again after resetting USB interface
LIBMTP libusb: Attempt to reset device
LIBMTP PANIC: failed to open session on second attempt

I suspect "HTC Sync Manager" is more proprietary than just plain MTP in some way. Thanks a lot, HTC.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Yea. I thought it might just be an ubuntu thing since ububtu does some weird things. I guess its a linux wide thing.

The only work around I found was to just use twrp recovery to mount.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Yea. I thought it might just be an ubuntu thing since ububtu does some weird things. I guess its a linux wide thing.

Yep. Really, you should change the subject of the topic to reflect that...

The only work around I found was to just use twrp recovery to mount.

I am not familiar with "twrp", sounds interesting though. But seriously, have you ever tried AirDroid? It is probably the most awesome Android app ever! It will be a hell of a lot more convenient than rebooting the phone, and can do so much more.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...airdroid&feature=search_result&token=Gw10-5cd.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I am not having a happy exchange with HTC support on this issue. Sometimes when I report something, I get someone with a clue. Other times, apparently like this time, I get someone who doesn't read what I send them or doesn't understand technology sufficiently to be in support. She is starting to pull the "we don't support Linux" crap but without directly saying that. The last suggestion was that I perhaps I have a driver conflict (???? under Linux???) and I should try it under an MS-Windows or MacOS system. Geesh. Waiting to see where this goes before I get all bent and into combat mode.

I hardly ever use a USB cable with my phone. But leaving Linux users (who have systems that comply 100% with USB standards for USB Mass Storage Mode) with no way to connect via USB cable to a phone that runs Linux is pretty insulting.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I am not having a happy exchange with HTC support on this issue. Sometimes when I report something, I get someone with a clue. Other times, apparently like this time, I get someone who doesn't read what I send them or doesn't understand technology sufficiently to be in support. She is starting to pull the "we don't support Linux" crap but without directly saying that. The last suggestion was that I perhaps I have a driver conflict (???? under Linux???) and I should try it under an MS-Windows or MacOS system. Geesh. Waiting to see where this goes before I get all bent and into combat mode.

I hardly ever use a USB cable with my phone. But leaving Linux users (who have systems that comply 100% with USB standards for USB Mass Storage Mode) with no way to connect via USB cable to a phone that runs Linux is pretty insulting.

We don't support linux. We just run it on ours phones.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Just got off the phone with a REAL HTC Tech and have a reasonable answer for this now. There is no USB Mass Storage mode at all anymore. "Disk Drive" is now MTP. Although I can use MTP mode on other Android devices under Linux, I still can't with the HTC Evo. Not sure why, though. I did tell them this is a problem for me, and supposedly it will be escalated.

When I attempt to use HTC "Sync" mode, that apparently uses PTP mode, and my systems detect that, but no pictures are present (even though kernel messages say it is MTP mode). When I select "Disk Drive", which is supposedly MTP, the kernel messages say it is *NOT* MTP, and none of my tools for working with MTP detect the phone at all.

At least I have a better understanding of some of what is going on now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20