Notification Bar At Top Of Home Screen Will Not Swipe Down

GOOFKC

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Anyone ever hear of that? It is on a buddies phone. Mine works fine. It happened pre jb update and the update did not change it. Thanks for any suggestions you can give.

Chris

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
The top of the digitizer may be failing, if it hasn't changed with the update. My wife's old GS2 had a similar issue along the bottom. Have him try to rotate the home screens by swiping across at the very top. Also, if he just taps and holds the time at the upper right corner of the screen, it should expand the notification bar by a couple of rows, but it isn't the same as the full pull-down. See if that works.

GOOFKC

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
That does not work either. Thanks for the suggestion. I told him to take it to Sprint to get repaired. Just glad it is not mine. Knock on wood...

kayropr

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Tell your friend take the phone to a Sprint repair center because this is a hardware issue. I started having that same problem in Sept. did a couple of factory resets and it would temporarily fix it. I installed NOVA Launcher so I could use the gesture options to open the notification bar but last week the phone started droving me nuts cause the screen would stop responding at random times... Usually at the same times the notificiation bar would not open. The tech guy at the Sprint store said that he had to replace the screen because it was bad. My notification bar is working fine now.

Here 's a post in another forum about the notification bar problem.
Notification bar - Can no longer pull it down - xda-developers

freedumb87

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Anyone ever hear of that? It is on a buddies phone. Mine works fine. It happened pre jb update and the update did not change it. Thanks for any suggestions you can give.

Chris

It's definitely a hardware issue. I have been dealing with the same issue for about 6 months now. When I try to swipe down to bring up the notification bar I get absolutely no feedback . If I give it a smack with my palm near the top corners I can often times get it to start working again. However, it's usually short lived.

Tell your friend to dial *#*#DIAG#*#* from the dialer. Tap "Accept" if it takes you to a white screen. This should take you to a black screen with 2 columns of tests that you can perform. Look for "Line Drawing Test" in the first column and select it. Then tap the "Run" button. Start drawing with your finger. If his problem is like mine, he will be able to draw everywhere on the phone except for the very top 1/4" or so. Like BigDinCA said, I'm pretty sure the digitizer is failing. Maybe I'll make it to the store before mine completely goes kaput.

Jim Duff

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I had the same problem, got it replaced eventually under insurance for no charge. Off and on, I also had a problem with one row of the phone dialer not responding, and someone on here months ago diagnosed it (correctly) as a failing digitizer. Good luck getting it replaced!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon