Time to dump HTC Evo?

corvette72778

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
With the latest update, the HTC EVO LTE is complete garbage! tons of of bugs and bad battery life are totally unacceptable. Especially when there are alternatives. I'm thinking Galaxy S3 or Galaxy Note II. Because my battery life is so bad, I dream of having the Note II that could probably go more than a day with 4.1. Anybody feel like dumping their EVO? What phone would you get?

R1der2002

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I did the battery on my phone took a nose dive, I woulnt do it for a GS3 tho I got a Note II and I'm soooo happy with it. most awesome phone I have and I have alot

corvette72778

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Why wouldn't you do it for a GS3? I would think the GS3 and Note 2 have the same software which is the reason for switching from an Evo.

TEEMILL

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I think I would go with the gs3 the note 2 is huge although it has awesome features a buddy of mine has it and when I see him talk on the phone it looks like he has an iPad mini up 2 his ear so my next phone will more then likely be a samsung gs3 or 4 depending on what cellphone technology has to offer in 2 years when my contract is up! I do think my stint with HTC has ran its course after this EVO 4g LTE

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

kluecke

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I don't seem to have any of the issues people have been reporting - Jelly Bean has been awesome for me. I am generally getting two full days of use per battery charge (6am one day to 9pm the next), even with heavy Pandora streaming. I do better on battery life than my wife's SIII, and I use my phone a lot more. And that is with location history enabled. I've got to think that people having battery issues have some bad app that is killing it for them.

Kevin

houstonwino

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Dump it at my house if you don't want it. There isn't a better phone available, imo. Read the other threads on here dealing with the "issues" you describe before you do something rash like accept an inferior piece of hardware when a simple reset would probably fix all of the things that are bugging you. Think about it, if you run a Windows machine, which works better...formatting and loading a new OS, or just upgrading over the top of the previous one? One may seem simpler, but the end result can be totally different.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Nope! Especially not for a samsung pos!

Mosquitoes Refuse To Bite Me

What did Sammy ever do to you? For me it's just a matter of personal preference between the S3 and the evo. I don't think I would go through any trouble to switch from one to the other because I think they are pretty even.

And for my next phone I'll definitely strongly consider whatever the latest phone in the note line is. I like the huge screen, huge battery and I think I would benefit a lot from the s pen.

I think it's narrow minded to be totally closed off to one manufacturer (especially one as big Samsung). Why limit yourself?

mike31082

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
EVO LTE owners are stuck between a rock and a hard place. The latest update really crapped up the phone, the problem is there is no fessable alternative if you want to jump ship. I refuse to get a GS3, becauseI can't stand the look of Touchwiz, LG and Moto aren't much different. Jumping to a Nexus 4 requires users to give up LTE, an SD card slot and your unlimited plan with Sprint.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
EVO LTE owners are stuck between a rock and a hard place. The latest update really crapped up the phone, the problem is there is no fessable alternative if you want to jump ship. I refuse to get a GS3, becauseI can't stand the look of Touchwiz, LG and Moto aren't much different. Jumping to a Nexus 4 requires users to give up LTE, an SD card slot and your unlimited plan with Sprint.

My only big problem right now is battery life (or a lack of it). I had all of the issues before the update (mainly contact issues) so the update was very welcomed for people in the same boat as me

mike31082

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
My only big problem right now is battery life (or a lack of it). I had all of the issues before the update (mainly contact issues) so the update was very welcomed for people in the same boat as me

But those of us who didn't have any of these problems before hand, really got crapped on. I've neven seen my EVO phone (incuding the OG EVO) have such piss poor performance and as glaring problems as JB has brought. Its enough to make a number of us want to jump ship.

As much as a lot of people hate Samsung, they are doing something right with the support and timely updates for the GS3. HTC really could learn something from them.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
But those of us who didn't have any of these problems before hand, really got crapped on. I've neven seen my EVO phone (incuding the OG EVO) have such piss poor performance and as glaring problems as JB has brought. Its enough to make a number of us want to jump ship.

As much as a lot of people hate Samsung, they are doing something right with the support and timely updates for the GS3. HTC really could learn something from them.

Trust me I feel your pain and I'm still not sure myself how much longer I'll last with this evo (I think I still have a hardware problem and this is evo #3 already)

My point is just it seems to go in cycles. I got crapped on by the last update before jb and then jb was like a miracle after that. You are just unfortunately on the other side of things now. I bet we'll get a bug fix soon though, usually with software after any major new release the .1 version follows pretty quickly

bigrey81

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
With the latest update, the HTC EVO LTE is complete garbage! tons of of bugs and bad battery life are totally unacceptable. Especially when there are alternatives. I'm thinking Galaxy S3 or Galaxy Note II. Because my battery life is so bad, I dream of having the Note II that could probably go more than a day with 4.1. Anybody feel like dumping their EVO? What phone would you get?

This is some horrible battery life post jelly bean what shall I do

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1357151943518.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357151943518.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 274

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
This is some horrible battery life post jelly bean what shall I do

You shall post a clearer screenshot that tells us more than the fact that you have 19% battery left and a bunch of notifications

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
With the latest update, the HTC EVO LTE is complete garbage! tons of of bugs

Tons? Not really

and bad battery life are totally unacceptable.

For most everyone, easily solved by turning off location history. And if that doesn't do it, use a factory reset.

Especially when there are alternatives.

If money is no object, I suppose.

I'm thinking Galaxy S3 or Galaxy Note II. Because my battery life is so bad, I dream of having the Note II that could probably go more than a day with 4.1.

Then why don't you just turn off location history?

Anybody feel like dumping their EVO?

Nope

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Tons? Not really

For most everyone, easily solved by turning off location history. And if that doesn't do it, use a factory reset.

If money is no object, I suppose.

Then why don't you just turn off location history?

Nope

You should change your sig to "the location history police" or something like that...

The note 2 does get great battery life though for what it's worth

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Everyone should do a factory reset prior 2 any complaints. This tends to fix a lot of problems

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Everyone should do a factory reset prior 2 any complaints. This tends to fix a lot of problems

We shouldn't "have" to do a factory reset with upgrades/updates, and most of the time we don't. But as an I.T. professional, I can tell you that it is extremely difficult to create updates that will never break anything on devices that already have lots of software installed on them and various different settings by users. And also, it seems after each update, there are dozens of reports of "bugs" that are not the fault of the upgrade, but of some strange thing the user had installed.

It is certainly something to try, especially before considering something really drastic like taking a phone in for "repair" or, say, posting rants about how the device is "garbage"...

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
We shouldn't "have" to do a factory reset with upgrades/updates, and most of the time we don't. But as an I.T. professional, I can tell you that it is extremely difficult to create updates that will never break anything on devices that already have lots of software installed on them and various different settings by users. And also, it seems after each update, there are dozens of reports of "bugs" that are not the fault of the upgrade, but of some strange thing the user had installed.

It is certainly something to try, especially before considering something really drastic like taking a phone in for "repair" or, say, posting rants about how the device is "garbage"...

While I agree with you mostly on this, I don't agree that the first (or second) thing out of support's mouth should be to do a factory reset. There should be some attempt at troubleshooting first. Imagine if every problem with Windows, Mac OS or Linux was handled by reinstalling the operating system and then reinstalling all your apps just to see if the problem still exists. That is a pretty harsh solution.