Proximity sensor fix?

rjkowski

May 7, 2012
Visit site
After updating to JB, I too was having proximity sensor issues. After a few weeks I finally got fed up with it and did a factory reset of my phone, but the proximity sensor issue remained. I also have had a Zagg HD screen protector on the phone since day 1. It is the old style with the small cutout for the sensor. I removed the Zagg HD and got a new Zagg (non-HD). The new protector I bought still had the old cutout, but I made the cutout bigger to so that it did not cover any of the proximity sensor. After installing the new shield with a bigger cutout, my proximity sensor issues have disappeared.

This is only my experience and it worked for me. If you have a screen protector on your phone and you are frustrated by the proximity sensor issues, it may be worth giving a shot.

groundshock

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. Drives me nuts. Two seconds away from demanding a device switch to the I5 or S3. This phone has been nothing but issues since I got it. I'm on my 6th replacement, this last one was for this exact problem. Absolutely unacceptable.

top magoo

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
i don't know what changed, but the last few days my proximity problem has either resolved itself or there was some sort of fix pushed out. that was the only lingering issue from the jellybean update i encountered. this phone seems to be back to 100% awesome.

scruff24

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Two words....... Mean Bean. Rooted mine this weekend..sensor fixed... Phone still looks stock w/ screens and all. No lag...

edilee012

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I too have same issues with sensor but I am replying to those with the Zagg screen protectors. The first run of the HD and non HD had the sensor cut out in the wrong place as there are two sensors in the same area...one for light and other for proximity...they had the hole cut out for the light sensor when it should have been cut out for the proximity. I contacted Zagg about this and they said it was fixed right away and Best Buy (where I got mine) must have still had the defective ones. I tried both and neither worked and I just returned them.

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I too have same issues with sensor but I am replying to those with the Zagg screen protectors. The first run of the HD and non HD had the sensor cut out in the wrong place as there are two sensors in the same area...one for light and other for proximity...they had the hole cut out for the light sensor when it should have been cut out for the proximity. I contacted Zagg about this and they said it was fixed right away and Best Buy (where I got mine) must have still had the defective ones. I tried both and neither worked and I just returned them.
I got the same info from my local Sprint repair center. They removed the old Zagg and it worked fine. I took it to a kiosk at the mall, they gave me a new one with the larger cutout and it still works fine. The difference in the size of the cutout is quite staggering actually. I can't understand how Zagg could get it that wrong.

ECHO-313

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Hey BigDinCA
Anyway you could take a pic of the new one.
I have the same problem and don't want to rip the $20. protector off to find out that's not my problem.
Thx

Cyrene

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
The only time I have a proximity sensor issue is if that portion of my screen is smudged. Once I wipe it off, it works fine. (Incidently, I'm using the xtremeguard wet application screen protector and it has no cut out for the sensor. I will never return to zagg. Xtremeguard is only a few dollars and doesn't dent.)

Sent from my EVO LTE using Tapatalk 2

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Hey BigDinCA
Anyway you could take a pic of the new one.
I have the same problem and don't want to rip the $20. protector off to find out that's not my problem.
Thx
Sorry bud, I couldn't get a decent shot of it. If you still need it, since the update is out today, the new one has a rectangular cutout that's about 5/16". The old one was a tiny cutout less than half that size. If you're near a BB or can get to a mall kiosk they can verify for you. BB won't replace it but the kiosk will swap it out for free.

Troy Anthony

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I am having this issue and don't have a screen protector or case covering it at all. My last phone did the same thing only got worse and worse. Verizon replaced it and now this one is doing the same thing. There is apparently a proximity sensor calibrator app but it's only for rooted phones. I have not rooted this one yet so still screwed I guess.

PokermanDMF

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I get that MeanBean will fix it. However, what of I do not want that ROM. I am currently using CyanogenMod 10.1. Anyone know of a way to just completely disable the sensor without breaking open the phone?

Sent from Note 2 with Tapatalk

vaghotstuff

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Easy FIX!!!!!
I took a can of compressed air and blew it through the top earpiece grill a few times and Voila, it works great now!!

I actually used a Old perfume can which perfume was over and it was only pressing Gas OFF!! :p:p