Proximity sensor fix?

koam

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know if there is a fix for the JB proximity sensor issue (screen goes black during calls and when using voicemail app)?

axllebeer

Trusted Member
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Stand in bright sunlight when taking a call. (Ok not a fix, but that's the only time mine works properly now) :(

Update Jan 23rd:
And for no apparent reason, my sensor is working normally again. Started a little over 24 hrs ago so I waited at least a day before posting this. I didn't do anything. Same case, never used a screen protector, I clean my screen about 2 X's a day.

Last edited:

ajbrad71

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I flashed meanbean, everything is working great. Proximity sensor works and voicemail doesn't go black any more.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

84guy

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I wiped the smudges off and my proximity sensor works fine, if it stops working again i clean it again and works perfect

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G LTE

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I wiped the smudges off and my proximity sensor works fine, if it stops working again i clean it again and works perfect

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G LTE

The same thing happened to me. Two days after updating and reading these posts about the proximity sensor issues mine started doing this. Restart didn't cure it so I took my case off and cleaned my screen really well and poof, the problem went away.

That being said, there are FAR too many people with this issue that this is the only cause, not too mention people loading ROMs and the problem goes away, but this simple act might help some.

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
...That being said, there are FAR too many people with this issue that this is the only cause, not too mention people loading ROMs and the problem goes away, but this simple act might help some.

I agree totally. My issue was the original Zagg that was apparently not equipped with a large enough cutout for both sensors. Who knew? I didn't, that's for sure. The guy at the Sprint store peeled it off, wiped the screen down and POOF! It worked like magic. I took the old screen protector to the mall and got the new one. The girl knew right away what my problem was before I even opened my mouth. Some people think the issue with the screen tripping out during voicemail playback is a separate issue, but it's not. It's still related to the sensor. I never had a problem with the old screen protector and it was put on as a freebie when I bought the phone on launch day. But tons of people here have the issue sans case or screen protector, so there's more to it than just something blocking the sensor. It seems pretty simple, though, that the sensitivity has been turned up too high. I can't imagine a tweak to a few lines of code to lower the gain of the sensor would be that big of a deal. Maybe they're just waiting to get all of the little things taken care of in one shot. Too bad though; they could have done wonders for their reputation by pushing out a quick fix for this major issue within the first week or two.

Andras

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
That being said, there are FAR too many people with this issue that this is the only cause, not too mention people loading ROMs and the problem goes away, but this simple act might help some.

It most definitely IS a software calibration issue. There is absolutely no doubt about that. As to why HTC has taken this long to release a small fix for this I have no clue. I'm wondering how many people clueless to this are going to have their proximity sensors burn out and break since once you make a call and get the malfunction, the sensor does not turn back off until you reboot or make a phone call that makes the sensor work correctly.

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Ok so I had a really interesting thing just happen.. I made a call and it went to voice mail... I left a voice mail then couldn't hang up my phone because Everytime I hit the power button to wake it and hit end it immediately times out and couldn't hit end... The voice mail is long and the friend could hear me cussing and fiddling with my phone..
Has anyone else had this happen and what about my usage if im calling a non mobile phone? This proximity sensor bug is irritating me.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE

mike31082

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
Ok so I had a really interesting thing just happen.. I made a call and it went to voice mail... I left a voice mail then couldn't hang up my phone because Everytime I hit the power button to wake it and hit end it immediately times out and couldn't hit end... The voice mail is long and the friend could hear me cussing and fiddling with my phone..
Has anyone else had this happen and what about my usage if im calling a non mobile phone? This proximity sensor bug is irritating me.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE

It is pretty irritating. The only work around I've found is to set the power button on the phone to hang up calls. Acceptability->Power button end calls.

Buckeyes

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I brought my phone into a Sprint store yesterday. I explained the issue to the technician. I left the phone with them for about two hours. Whatever they did seems to have worked. Now the phone doesn't go black and the keyboard stays on for me. I hope it stays this way.

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE
I was having the same issues. All of them, including the same issues when you are listening to your own voicemails. The only fix I found (before I swapped out that stupid Zagg that left one of the sensors covered) was to not allow the proximity sensor to come into play. The sensor is only active when you would normally put the phone to your ear, i.e. listening to a VM or making a call. But if you are on speaker or attached to a Bluetooth headset/speaker, you won't have the phone up to your ear so the sensor is not used. Also, when making a call, the sensor isn't active until the call connects and the counter in the upper-right corner starts rolling. That's the few seconds that you have to turn on the speaker. Unless you're already on a BT headset.

axllebeer

Trusted Member
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE

I have found that even being more than an inch away, if your finger passes in front of the sensor the screen will go out. I've had that happen more times than I can count.

flyer8493

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Took mine to sprint. They replaced my phone telling me that my sensor was toast and that they had no spare parts. It works great now.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

bpdamas

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I use Rezound Prox Sensor Calibration as of yesterday. I flashed MeanBean and it was getting pretty goofy and this app worked. It does only work on Root.

I also got rid of my Zagg HD for the regular Zagg cover and it works great now.

Good luck.

Dude. Props to this app. This worked flawlessly and has allowed me to actually use my phone without getting frustrated. Ever since the update, my sensor got out of whack and it was driving me nuts. Thanks for sharing this app.

hakeem5000

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
When I'm on a call I am unable to use the screen even when the phone is laying flat on a table and my finger is no where near the sensor. As soon as I touch the screen it goes black while on a call. This is frustrating and didn't happen until the update.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer