Not the only "buggy" phone.

evilnj

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
This is not the only phone with bugs. Yes before the in update I had issues. After installed most went away. Still some new ones. HTC hub? WiFi hotspot problem. The s3 has its share also. Maybe not as many but its got them. My friend has one and if you check those forum,the s3 has bugs too. So nothing's perfect. I'm keeping my evo.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Andras

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
It absolutely isn't. The fact that some people slam the phone as if any other phone or piece of software for that matter is bug less is extremely ignorant to me. Everything out there has it's own set of issues. I mean hell, the S3 had a bug that was straight up frying the mainboard!!!! I'll take a messed up proximity sensor or faulty contact ringtone over some crap like that any day. Even the custom ROMs for this and other phones out there that get WAAAAAAAY more support than stock UI's have their own issues. Find the bugs you can live with....and be happy.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I've never owned a phone that didn't have some sort of bug in it. I think none nexus android devices however are the worst. Usually not at launch. But after the first update. I don't understand why they can make a decent os at launch but then when they decide to update it the few bugs that needed to be fixed are and more new ones come. Usually worse.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I've never owned a phone that didn't have some sort of bug in it. I think none nexus android devices however are the worst. Usually not at launch. But after the first update. I don't understand why they can make a decent os at launch but then when they decide to update it the few bugs that needed to be fixed are and more new ones come. Usually worse.
You are not fully understanding why the Nexus was created. It is a developer phone that's sole purpose is to allow Google to release the newest os in order to test their new technology. This environment always has bugs.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Its mostly intended for developers so they can test apps and such on googles newest api's. No matter what you own be it android iOS or whatever is going to have issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
It absolutely isn't. The fact that some people slam the phone as if any other phone or piece of software for that matter is bug less is extremely ignorant to me. Everything out there has it's own set of issues. I mean hell, the S3 had a bug that was straight up frying the mainboard!!!! I'll take a messed up proximity sensor or faulty contact ringtone over some crap like that any day. Even the custom ROMs for this and other phones out there that get WAAAAAAAY more support than stock UI's have their own issues. Find the bugs you can live with....and be happy.

The biggest thing for me is admitting you have bugs and doing something about it. Sammys frying themselves is a much bigger problem than contacts lag or proximity sensor problems agreed. BUT sammy acknowledged the problem (how could they not) and has been very good about taking care of it. HTC on the other hand has not been quick with any fixes and has never given me the feeling that fixing things is at all a priority. I would rather have my phone fry itself and get a new one right away then have to deal with major contact issues for months without so much as a peep from HTC.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site

Indeed. I have a Nexus 10 and it was fantastic.... until the 4.2.1 update. Now it has issues with rebooting for no reason, screen flicker, and lockups. One would think that wouldn't happen on a Nexus. Surprise... And we have been waiting a long time now for an update to fix that update. Sound familiar?

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
You are not fully understanding why the Nexus was created. It is a developer phone that's sole purpose is to allow Google to release the newest os in order to test their new technology. This environment always has bugs.

Originally it was created for that purpose. But not anymore. Now they are mainstream devices and being marketed as such.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Originally it was created for that purpose. But not anymore. Now they are mainstream devices and being marketed as such.
the only marketing for this is in your head. I believe this is the very reason that the Nexus has not been available. More people with the Nexus 4 that don't get why it was made just add a lot more whining. People want it for the updates yet complain about things not being perfect. Being on the cutting edge means you are willing to be part of the latest experience. Sometimes people who are not suited to this just need to get off the train and go with the safe alternative. Maybe an iphone5 or a S3 would be better for you.

Nophix

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Truth is, smartphones are glitchy. They're miniature computers on fledgling operating systems.

Full size computers still have glitches. Not as many as they used to, but they still exist, and they've had a lot more time to get it right.

People need to stop and think about what they are really asking of these tiny handheld devices, and relax.

But, just like computers, they rant and rave and throw the keyboard tantrums.

mike31082

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
The biggest thing for me is admitting you have bugs and doing something about it. Sammys frying themselves is a much bigger problem than contacts lag or proximity sensor problems agreed. BUT sammy acknowledged the problem (how could they not) and has been very good about taking care of it. HTC on the other hand has not been quick with any fixes and has never given me the feeling that fixing things is at all a priority. I would rather have my phone fry itself and get a new one right away then have to deal with major contact issues for months without so much as a peep from HTC.

I agree 100%. Especially when it comes to a phone that is fairly new, but has subsequently felt like the manufacturer has all but abandoned it.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Truth is, smartphones are glitchy. They're miniature computers on fledgling operating systems.

Full size computers still have glitches. Not as many as they used to, but they still exist, and they've had a lot more time to get it right.

People need to stop and think about what they are really asking of these tiny handheld devices, and relax.

But, just like computers, they rant and rave and throw the keyboard tantrums.

Just because it's smaller doesn't mean it has to have more bugs. Computers don't have the turn around time that smart phones do. If they came out with a new models of computers as fast as they do phones we would see way more bugs. Also just look at windows, as the releases have sped up in recent years you also see more buggyness. If HTC only came out with a new model annually (I can't even say that with a straight face) I'm sure even they could work out most of the bugs

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I agree 100%. Especially when it comes to a phone that is fairly new, but has subsequently felt like the manufacturer has all but abandoned it.

Yeah, we don't get any updates to fix anything, just one to get us on the latest os so they can put it on the webpage and say they did it and move onto the next new phone

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
the only marketing for this is in your head. I believe this is the very reason that the Nexus has not been available. More people with the Nexus 4 that don't get why it was made just add a lot more whining. People want it for the updates yet complain about things not being perfect. Being on the cutting edge means you are willing to be part of the latest experience. Sometimes people who are not suited to this just need to get off the train and go with the safe alternative. Maybe an iphone5 or a S3 would be better for you.

It's true that ONE reason the nexus lineup was created is for development, but I'd argue that it's really not the main reason. One of the biggest things about the Nexus One was that Google was selling it, you could buy it directly from them. Another big part of it is to show what, in Google's mind, is the epitome of android phone design. It's for Google to be able to nudge the hardware OEM's in certain directions with phone and now tablet design. Nexus devices are and always have been mainstream devices.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
It's true that ONE reason the nexus lineup was created is for development, but I'd argue that it's really not the main reason. One of the biggest things about the Nexus One was that Google was selling it, you could buy it directly from them. Another big part of it is to show what, in Google's mind, is the epitome of android phone design. It's for Google to be able to nudge the hardware OEM's in certain directions with phone and now tablet design. Nexus devices are and always have been mainstream devices.

Negative its actually Google setting the midrange phone standard. The nexus brand was never meant for mainstream nor has it ever been the top of the line (only based on numbers / os version guys I mean no offense). The phones primary function is for developers so they can test apps against the newest version. The specs have in the past been roughly the midrange for phones that release on the same version. The price makes them palatable for devs to pick up every new phone drop or two. The supply numbers show they didn't intend on mainstream to start a grab war.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Negative its actually Google setting the midrange phone standard. The nexus brand was never meant for mainstream nor has it ever been the top of the line

* When the Nexus 10 was released, it was the most powerful tablet on the market. And as of the moment, it still is.
* If Nexus is not for mainstream, then why was Google putting on TV Ads for the Nexus 7? Why is it also sold at Staples and Best Buy and Walmart and Radio Shack? How was it they would selll 3 *million* of them as of three months ago?

Like I said before, I agree the "Nexus" was originally only as a proof of concept, mid-grade development device, with no mainstream target. But I think that is changing.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
* When the Nexus 10 was released, it was the most powerful tablet on the market. And as of the moment, it still is.
* If Nexus is not for mainstream, then why was Google putting on TV Ads for the Nexus 7? Why is it also sold at Staples and Best Buy and Walmart and Radio Shack? How was it they would selll 3 *million* of them as of three months ago?

Like I said before, I agree the "Nexus" was originally only as a proof of concept, mid-grade development device, with no mainstream target. But I think that is changing.

Tablets may be a different deal, phones the logic still holds true.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

Of course they are, but they are still being used to test new software which usually has bugs.

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Tablets may be a different deal, phones the logic still holds true.

The GNexus and Nexus 4 both launched with high end internals. The only difference is that they don't pull stuff like Samsung does with 2GB of RAM and processing power that can't necessarily be utilized yet. So they're not as high end for as long. As for the supply issues of the Nexus 4 it's due to low estimates because of GNexus sales, it's not that Google didn't want to make it a market leader, it's that they didn't expect it would be as popular as it is.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer