Does the One mark the end of the EVO era?

bigrey81

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
A bit of a conundrum now The One is coming to sprint. Will there not be an EVO ? Should I or we wait and see? I really like The One,but also thinking maybe there will be a new EVO w/kickstand and sd slot ahhh....what to do?

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

doomstang

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I fear it may be the end of the Evo line since we've heard no mention of a new Evo when Sprint confirmed they will carry the new HTC One

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I think it just might be. There's the HTC One coming, and I hear there are two other devices coming soon as well so unless one of them is an EVO, I think we can safely say this line of phones is done.

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm not so sure if we can reach that conclusion just yet. I only say that because HTC is "not" going to iterate on the One brand name. The "One" is going to be the only device, there won't be a One S, One V, etc. So there will have to be a different name for the next generation of lower spec HTC phones. Yeah the Evo line is long, but so is the Galaxy and Optimus line.

Btw the source on that is the Verge: http://mobile.theverge.com/2013/2/19/4003338/htc-one-hands-on-video-photos. Seems HTC is not going to fork the One and create multiple models, it will be one single device.

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Btw, if you read the comments in that article on micro SD storage, some are really hilarious! Lol

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm not so sure if we can reach that conclusion just yet. I only say that because HTC is "not" going to iterate on the One brand name. The "One" is going to be the only device, there won't be a One S, One V, etc. So there will have to be a different name for the next generation of lower spec HTC phones. Yeah the Evo line is long, but so is the Galaxy and Optimus line.

Btw the source on that is the Verge: HTC One: hands-on with HTC's phone to rule them all | The Verge. Seems HTC is not going to fork the One and create multiple models, it will be one single device.

I guess we'll just have to wait for more info on these other two mystery devices HTC has cooking.

kmarx

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I wasn't sold. No Micro SD slot, no Kick stand, kind of disappointed that HTC cut some corners. The EVO LTE feels very solid and there is a MICRO SD card.

AFR_NY

May 10, 2012
Visit site
It looks like HTC made a few accessories for the "One" that give it an Evo LTE like kick stand. I'm sure lower end HTC phones will come out, but I believe we hold the last Evo.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
It looks like HTC made a few accessories for the "One" that give it an Evo LTE like kick stand. I'm sure lower end HTC phones will come out, but I believe we hold the last Evo.

Actually, HTC announced the Desire C was gonna be their last low-mid end phone and that came out in 2012.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
but I believe we hold the last Evo.

I agree.

It is likely the only way we will see an "Evo" again is if Sprint does something with another manufacturer. And if it is not an HTC, it isn't a real Evo.

The only other possibility is if Sprint markets the HTC One as the HTC One Evo or HTC Evo One or something like that. But it is hardly an "Evo" if it is not unique to Sprint and has top notch features that set it apart. But HTC desperately needs to throw a single high-end phone on multiple carriers. As much as I have enjoyed the "Evo" concept, I think it is a time that has passed and has to die. It gives carriers too much power.

We need to end carrier-specific phone models one and for all.

mike31082

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately I think this is the end of the line for the EVO series. The ONE X was a much more popular phone than the EVO LTE, even though they where pretty identical hardware wise. HTC all but abandoned it. Plus from a business standpoint to better compete with Samsung's Galaxy line, it just makes more Sense to unify their products under one branding across all carriers.

I hope at some point down the road though that HTC reincorporates a kickstand and sd card slot into the product line.

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately I think this is the end of the line for the EVO series. The ONE X was a much more popular phone than the EVO LTE, even though they where pretty identical hardware wise. HTC all but abandoned it. Plus from a business standpoint to better compete with Samsung's Galaxy line, it just makes more Sense to unify their products under one branding across all carriers.

I hope at some point down the road though that HTC reincorporates a kickstand and sd card slot into the product line.

I agree with you absolutely, the One must be unified across all carriers. But the One is going to be a singular name: http://mobile.theverge.com/2013/2/19/4003338/htc-one-hands-on-video-photos. It's not going to have derivatives, if you believe the Verge.

So the question is, will there be a universal name for the lower spec models, across all carriers? I think we can say that on Verizon, the answer is definitely no. On Sprint maybe, but doesn't Sprint want to maintain the Evo brand, when it's got a track record?

I don't know, I'm really asking.

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
I can see more Evo's in the future, but I don't think that the One will be branded as such. They're not allowing carrier modification and they definitely shouldn't compromise that by having multiple names. They need something big and universal for good marketing so that they can say "This is the One, it's awesome. Get it on any carrier". But they're not switching to a one phone a year thing, so there's room for Evo's in the future. I don't know about this year, but I still maintain that the best Evo improvements will happen every other generation. The 3D didn't really feel like an evoltion of my OG Evo, the LTE did. There's just not much room for anything but slight improvements over a year. The 2014 Evo, if there is one, is what I'll be interested in.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I agree.

It is likely the only way we will see an "Evo" again is if Sprint does something with another manufacturer. And if it is not an HTC, it isn't a real Evo.

The only other possibility is if Sprint markets the HTC One as the HTC One Evo or HTC Evo One or something like that. But it is hardly an "Evo" if it is not unique to Sprint and has top notch features that set it apart. But HTC desperately needs to throw a single high-end phone on multiple carriers. As much as I have enjoyed the "Evo" concept, I think it is a time that has passed and has to die. It gives carriers too much power.

We need to end carrier-specific phone models one and for all.

Agreed, I was intrigued when I saw the title of this thread and I wanted to see which way people were leaning. If this really is the end of the line for the evo (and I think it is) it's probably a good move for HTC. If you want to compete withe the Galaxy S4 you can't come to the table with the HTC OneP and OneQ and OneB and OneU... you get the point... For HTC's sake hopefully the One gets some traction and establishes some brand recognition.

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Very unlikely the end... Think about it.. From the og EVO till EVO LTE it was 2 years... There was some fodder thrown in with the 3d and something else.. I would expect next year to see a EVO come out after the one has been out for maybe a year..

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I think the EVO has run its course! Its been a good ride! Now onward and upward to the ONE! Same phone, multiple carriers and a huge marketing effort and all will be good!

Remember what the doormouse said, feed your head!

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Very unlikely the end... Think about it.. From the og EVO till EVO LTE it was 2 years... There was some fodder thrown in with the 3d and something else.. I would expect next year to see a EVO come out after the one has been out for maybe a year..

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE

Do you think HTC considers the Evo 4G LTE to be anywhere near the success that the og Evo? Now that HTC finally seems to be marketing a single phone under a single name why would they throw another evo into the mix? If anything I would think they would come out with something more "phablet" like to sell along side the new "one", maybe they give that some evo branding. But right now I don't think it makes any sense to come out with an evo

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Very unlikely the end... Think about it.. From the og EVO till EVO LTE it was 2 years... There was some fodder thrown in with the 3d and something else..

The Evo 3D was not "Fodder", it had *huge* improvements over the Evo 4G across the board- faster CPU, faster GPU, more memory, more storage, more resolution, bigger battery, higher resolution, newer OS & Sense, better looking screen, dedicated camera button, and more. The only thing lost was the kickstand. At the time it was released, no phone could touch it... just like when the Evo 4G was released.