Appreciation Time

mstrblueskys

Q&A Team
Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I'll probably get a bunch of trolls for this post, but whatever. As I watch the news from MWC, I'm thankful I have the Evo LTE. Last year at this time I watched keynotes and drolled because my 3D seemed SO out of date and old compared to the new, thin phones which were being previewed. This year, though I am enamored by the HTC One, I'm not getting too worked up by the specs of all the phones. I also took the case off of my phone about a week after I got it because it made the phone way less sexy, and my phone still looks pretty darn good. And Sense 4+ is awesome (made even better courtesy of Mikey's MeanBean over at XDA).

I have been pretty confident about this all along, but in my book I can officially say that HTC made a winner with this device. It's relevant a year later, the updates have been pretty fast (I'm pretty sure we beat most of Samsung to Jellybean) and the phone still feels and looks as solid as the day I bought it. It has had ups and downs - but so has everyone, and I am sure my next phone (if it's not the One) will be an HTC because of the hardware and the dev support.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
And then the Nexus 4 came along. Nexus is the first to get Android updates, unbeatable price, stock android, unlocked and no contract. I'll stick with the Nexus brand.

Too bad it:

1) Has almost no local storage
2) No way to add any storage
3) Can't be used on Sprint or Verizon

So it is hardly the killer phone it could be.

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
And then the Nexus 4 came along. Nexus is the first to get Android updates, unbeatable price, stock android, unlocked and no contract. I'll stick with the Nexus brand.
... but at the same time I don't mind coming into this thread (that doesn't really concern my device or even my carrier) to tell you all how lame you are because you don't get updates as fast as me, even though I'm talking about a device that isn't available on your carrier, all the while telling myself that I can't be turning into that hipster-Nexus-guy everyone hates. I just can't be!

Andras

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I'll probably get a bunch of trolls for this post, but whatever. As I watch the news from MWC, I'm thankful I have the Evo LTE. Last year at this time I watched keynotes and drolled because my 3D seemed SO out of date and old compared to the new, thin phones which were being previewed. This year, though I am enamored by the HTC One, I'm not getting too worked up by the specs of all the phones. I also took the case off of my phone about a week after I got it because it made the phone way less sexy, and my phone still looks pretty darn good. And Sense 4+ is awesome (made even better courtesy of Mikey's MeanBean over at XDA).

I have been pretty confident about this all along, but in my book I can officially say that HTC made a winner with this device. It's relevant a year later, the updates have been pretty fast (I'm pretty sure we beat most of Samsung to Jellybean) and the phone still feels and looks as solid as the day I bought it. It has had ups and downs - but so has everyone, and I am sure my next phone (if it's not the One) will be an HTC because of the hardware and the dev support.

I completely agree. I remember when doing the research for phones last year I knew this was the phone for me. It had the specs I wanted and I much preferred the look and build of this phone to the S3. I knew I would eventually be rooting and wish I would have done so earlier as the setup on my phone is close to perfect now. I do love the look of the One and the Quadrant scores are very impressive but nothing that has come out since the Evo LTE has grabbed my attention enough to want to give my phone up. I do worry a little about HTC dev support in the future though. Plenty of devs are wanting to ditch HTC in the future because they are tired of HTC being douche bags about releasing source code in a timely manner.

mstrblueskys

Q&A Team
Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Haha, he deleted his post!

And I agree with Andras - dev support is key. Even if the S3 looks like it was built for a child, devs can make it better. HTC needs to keep the dev relationship strong!

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Haha, he deleted his post!

And I agree with Andras - dev support is key. Even if the S3 looks like it was built for a child, devs can make it better. HTC needs to keep the dev relationship strong!

Which deleted my post as well....

Speaking to the larger point here I agree with what you said about MWC doesn't really feel like there was any real buzz or game changers, curious to see what Sammy has up their sleeves for later this month. I will say the HTC one TV inferred remote transmitter power button whatever you want to call it is pretty sweet. Now a days it's the borderline gimmicky but unique features like that that really separate a phone.

ollieg

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site

I have Samsung S2-S3 coworkers who've had bad experiences with their phones and longingly eye my EVO 4G LTE. I'm sorry so many people in this forum have had problems with their HTC phones. My positive HTC phone experiences convince me there's no reason to consider switching brands.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I have Samsung S2-S3 coworkers who've had bad experiences with their phones and longingly eye my EVO 4G LTE. I'm sorry so many people in this forum have had problems with their HTC phones. My positive HTC phone experiences convince me there's no reason to consider switching brands.

If it ain't broke then don't fix it. And that's coming from somebody who had problems with the evo and recently switched. There's a reason why there are so many choices, there's no one phone that's right for everyone

mstrblueskys

Q&A Team
Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
If it ain't broke then don't fix it. And that's coming from somebody who had problems with the evo and recently switched. There's a reason why there are so many choices, there's no one phone that's right for everyone

I think that is important to realize, but I also think that it goes the other way. If it is broke, fix it. That is why the decision to go with and Android phone should be made. If you wanted something that was going to get taken care of for you, you would go with an iPhone. I feel like too many people are bringing their phones to Sprint or HTC before they try fixing the phone. I had issues with contacts and my battery life, so I flashed Mean Rom and boom - it's fixed. Now they have made it so easy, my little sister is flashing android. I understand that Samsung works best for some people, but dang, I wouldn't trade this phone for anything on the market right now.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I think that is important to realize, but I also think that it goes the other way. If it is broke, fix it. That is why the decision to go with and Android phone should be made. If you wanted something that was going to get taken care of for you, you would go with an iPhone. I feel like too many people are bringing their phones to Sprint or HTC before they try fixing the phone. I had issues with contacts and my battery life, so I flashed Mean Rom and boom - it's fixed. Now they have made it so easy, my little sister is flashing android. I understand that Samsung works best for some people, but dang, I wouldn't trade this phone for anything on the market right now.

I think rooting should be something you do because you want to and not an expected troubleshooting step or fix. If your phone can't do what it should (load a contact for instance) without being rooted then I have no problem with people taking it back. If you want to root then great but it should always be an option and not a requirement or an expectation.

And I couldn't agree more with the if it is broke fix it comment. I wish I would have switched phones last year instead of waiting. Couldn't be happier that I did

Andras

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I feel like too many people are bringing their phones to Sprint or HTC before they try fixing the phone.

Couldn't agree more......and I'll add to that saying they'll run to the internet bashing the phone too. I'll say too many people were/are blaming the phone for issues that some rogue or crap app they installed were/are causing. ESPECIALLY for things regarding battery life after the JB update. IMO there were many apps right after the OTA that were not playing nice with our phones. In all honesty 3rd party app compatibility is not HTC responsibility. I personally had a huge issue with an app after the update. It took a day or two after the OTA but eventually I found out the issue and uninstalled the app. Uninstalling a $1 app is worth more than any issues keeping it installed or switching to another phone would have been worth. A lot of people out there unfortunately won't go through that hassle.

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
I think rooting should be something you do because you want to and not an expected troubleshooting step or fix. If your phone can't do what it should (load a contact for instance) without being rooted then I have no problem with people taking it back. If you want to root then great but it should always be an option and not a requirement or an expectation.

And I couldn't agree more with the if it is broke fix it comment. I wish I would have switched phones last year instead of waiting. Couldn't be happier that I did

I agree that it shouldn't be a requirement for having a working phone, but somehow the fact is right now, user developers like for MeanBean are better than the official developers, or at the very least un hampered by beurocracy and much faster as a result.
Basically the way I see it, if you like the phone hardware, and something is messed up software wise, why not take a half hour to fix it yourself rather than exchanging it or getting a djfferent phone? It used to be that rooting was kind of dangerous and very technical but now it's a quick and easy process.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I agree that it shouldn't be a requirement for having a working phone, but somehow the fact is right now, user developers like for MeanBean are better than the official developers, or at the very least un hampered by beurocracy and much faster as a result.
Basically the way I see it, if you like the phone hardware, and something is messed up software wise, why not take a half hour to fix it yourself rather than exchanging it or getting a djfferent phone? It used to be that rooting was kind of dangerous and very technical but now it's a quick and easy process.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

I'll play devil's advocate here and mention the old argument that rooting and installing a new rom isn't "fixing" the problem. You bought software and hardware, the software was defective so you installed 3rd party software. If you are happy with that then great, but that's definitely acknowledging that HTC dropped the ball. Many people would just assume trade it in for something that just works.

Andras

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Many people would just assume trade it in for something that just works.

Yeah it seems that's the route most people will take. Especially if they aren't really tech savvy and don't want to take the risk. I just can't see myself taking the phone back 3 or more times to get to switch to a different phone with no charge, go through the effort of causing a big ruckus in the store/over the phone to get to change to a different phone faster than that, or especially paying any money whatsoever to get a different phone. It's to me a lot easier to take a little time(probably less time than going back and forth to a store), learn something new in the process, and root. Even for me this is the first time I've ever rooted. Personally IMO no matter how good and stable a stock ROM is, it will never be better than a good custom ROM, and the benefits of apps like Greenify or Titanium make rooting alone worth it. I'll probably be rooting everything I get ASAP from here on out. But to each their own.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah it seems that's the route most people will take. Especially if they aren't really tech savvy and don't want to take the risk. I just can't see myself taking the phone back 3 or more times to get to switch to a different phone with no charge, go through the effort of causing a big ruckus in the store/over the phone to get to change to a different phone faster than that, or especially paying any money whatsoever to get a different phone. It's to me a lot easier to take a little time(probably less time than going back and forth to a store), learn something new in the process, and root. Even for me this is the first time I've ever rooted. Personally IMO no matter how good and stable a stock ROM is, it will never be better than a good custom ROM, and the benefits of apps like Greenify or Titanium make rooting alone worth it. I'll probably be rooting everything I get ASAP from here on out. But to each their own.

Good points, I think for people who like rooting or have rooted in the past they have a different mindset. For me my first evo went back because the screen started flashing uncontrollably. At that point I had already had issues with the contact lag and all of that good stuff and I had a pour outlook on the evo. Instead of investing my time and energy into something I felt was an inferior product I was more interested in taking it back, making a point, and doing what I needed to do to get a new model later if I needed to (which I ended up doing). Could I have rooted, installed CM10 and been happy with the phone? Yeah probably, but that's what's nice about forums, the next person who comes here with similar issues can read both and decide what they would like to do. At the end of the day we're both happy, can't ask for any more than that